2015 T3 3.0 intake carbon build up?

nozel

TDI
2006 Jetta Gas, replaced by 2009 Sportwagen, replaced by 2013 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hello again after some time away.
I am about to jump into a 2015 Touareg TDI. It has 155000 Km on the odometer, which is double what my returned 2013 Golf.
After searching, the latest info dates to 2018, that info not offering anything conclusive.
What process do shops follow to inspect and clean as necessary, ie ultrasonic bathing (don't think torch treatment is the way forward with plastic intakes) and walnut shell blasting to the intake ports?
I am asking these questions possibly to talk myself out of an otherwise fine looking vehicle.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
This isn't a topic I have seen discussed here as it relates to 3.0 TDIs specifically. The car you are looking at has been driven a healthy amount of miles each yr,so I assume a lot of highway miles which is a good thing. I own and owned 2 TDI TREGS and have not had any issues with them with carbon build up. Others may comment on their high mileage TREGs.

Kravt

TDI
2005 Passat
I recently had the intake off of a 2013 model with 200k miles to replace the egr. I blew the intake out but found very little soot. This is anecdotal evidence for sure, but I think I probably wouldn’t worry about it.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I would make a guess that if the car is used in the winter and does a majority of it's trips that are short enough not to get the engine to full warm up and run good distances might cause issues. I can't say I've had that happen,because I spend winters in the south,LOL

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
yah i havent heard anything about any 3.0 and intake carbon...mine has 250,000kms on it and it has no issues