2015 squeaking noise from TB side of engine

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Daughters 2015 Passat TDI SEL (CVCA) went in yesterday due to a squeaking noise from the TB side of the engine. Called today and said water pump was leaking and bad. Checked the posts here and it seems to be somewhat common. OH I think posted it was common among the cars that sat for some time and the seals would stick and leak. $1300 for just the pump they said. 75k miles. Not covered by the emission's warranty as no check engine light. CPO ran out last August but asking them for some Goodwill on the job. Supposed to be getting back to me later to let me know.

So far Hewlett VW in Georgetown, Texas has done pretty well for me in the service department. They know me and I have been dealing with the service manager for ten years now. We were just in discussion about my 2015 Beetle tdi (CVCA) and the part 2b emissions fix which mine hasn't had. They claimed the case was closed and nothing else was required of them other than to fix anything covered that broke. I brought to his attention what the document says about mileage and when it was to be done. We are now in talks with VWoA as my car just turned over 40k (DSG) making it eligible for the "repair". I don't want it done now if I can help it but I do want VW on record that it will be due at some point down the road. Have to wait there too to see what happens.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
My coworker had the same thing on his 2015 jetta... Timing belt and components will need replaced as well. He got his kit from Cascade German, i think and it was the oem one for around $600, if i remember correctly. Some people convert to the non variable water pump which I think is what I would do, since the variable ones seem to like to give out...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just heard from VW and they are going to Goodwill the labor and just charge for the parts themselves. Not free but not too bad either. Now to see if they do the job correctly. Runonbeer had done all my TB's before he moved away. The few indy guys I have found that seem knowledgeable and had a clue are more than the dealer.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yeah they'll touch all TB bolts/tensioners and just replace the WP, and then the TB will need to be done in another 55K.

I'd almost toss them some more money and have them do a full TB and WP job.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yeah they'll touch all TB bolts/tensioners and just replace the WP, and then the TB will need to be done in another 55K.

I'd almost toss them some more money and have them do a full TB and WP job.
Nope I am going to buy the tools and do it myself next time. They wanted another $850 for that. I have 3 of these CVCA engines I am maintaining and it will be useful later on to have my own tools. $800 or so will buy a new kit and the tools. Daughters car and for now the $500 job will have to do for another 55k. I will use the cheaper pumps though without the shroud and electronics. Idparts has them.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
$580 out the door and it is running fine. Checked under the hood and underneath for everything in place. Checked for leaks and found none. Test drove it and then looked it over again at the dealer. All seems okay now. Will check it again in a week. I had no issues and got the Goodwill just by asking and was approved in 1/2 a day and repair finished the next day. What I didn't realize is even though they said "parts only" some labor was still included by the dealer. Evidently there is VW labor and then the dealer part of labor. VWoA Goodwilled their part and the dealer still got paid their part. Nothing wrong with that for me just was unclear upfront. Still a decent discount. My daughter was happy with the outcome and so was the dealer and VWoA. Told my daughter to still prepare for normal complete TB change interval when due, and to listen for noises and stop and call if she hears something different. Currently purring along again.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Car back to the dealer today. Same service writer and he remembered the last visit and same noise. Waiting to hear back on what it is this time.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Probably a roller...why not change everything while in there?!

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
My gsw is in for the same issue, service manager wanted to do a goodwill claim for whole timing belt job including tensioner and roller(s) and just have me pay for the wp part out of pocket. I don’t understand why they wanted to go the goodwill route as I still have original powertrain warranty. I just have the squeaking noise on cold starts maybe thats why. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens on your case!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would imagine they will end up doing a complete TB job. It was Goodwill from VWoA but we paid for the dealer labor part. I expect it will require a complete TB job and will be trying for Goodwill on this complete job now as they didn't actually fix the issue the first time. Last update yesterday was they were going back in and removing the TB and checking everything again.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Hewlett VW just called and said they are doing a complete timing belt job and replacing everything this time and it is all Goodwill with zero balance owed for this job. Parts in stock and should be done tomorrow or Thursday. So in the end a complete timing belt system replacement with a total of $580 out of pocket for the first time it went in. I think things turned out pretty good in the end for my daughter and her car. Never any issues with the dealer and they kept in contact and have done good work for me in the past. We will see what Wednesday brings when we pick it up.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Probably a roller...why not change everything while in there?!
I was working the Goodwill angle and wanted them to come to this conclusion and offer it for free if possible. I didn't want to get pushy or anything, just let things work out the way they did. We did have a long discussion (15 minutes) about things though.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I was working the Goodwill angle and wanted them to come to this conclusion and offer it for free if possible. I didn't want to get pushy or anything, just let things work out the way they did. We did have a long discussion (15 minutes) about things though.
Sounds like you got a banging deal!

I've had such poor experience with dealers around me, that I've stopped trying. So poor, that I went to a dealer 2 hours away to get the 2nd part of the Dieselgate fix done, instead of the dealer 5 min away.

Dealer 2h away was night and day compared to the one in town, yet they still told me my manual transmission shift cables had no adjustment possible...which I did adjust successfully 🙄

Lately, I just get some parts and some fluids from the dealer. If anything does come up that I can't/shouldn't fix myself, I will be driving 2h.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I also do what I can, but if possible I try and get the dealer to cover stuff when I think they might. Car is out of CPO warranty now and I doubt another round of Goodwill will fly again, but am happy it worked out this time. I know my daughter is happy that she is getting this for next to nothing as she was looking at a $2500 repair before I stepped in to try and help. Looks like the TB tools will be in my future as there are 4 CVCA cars I am helping with including my own Beetle and at some point they will need belts.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Picked car up just now and everything seems good. No squeaking noise anymore and the parts list used looks good. They had it ready and washed and vacuumed it and had it waiting early. Saves me a trip early tomorrow morning now. No charge and we were on our way in 10 minutes. Thanks to Raymond the service writer and Tom the service manager there and VWoA for the Goodwill. Not something they had to do at all.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Just picked mine up today. $680 out of pocket for water pump, coolant, and 2.5hr labor. VW goodwilled the timing belt and list of one time bolts, washers etc totaling roughly a page total of $1050. My service manager Aaron made the process a breeze and really understood my concerns. Note this was for a golf but same issue. Invoice said they used an “updated” part version for the tb tensioner. 04L-109-243-S