2015 SportWagen TDI S - (General Questions)

lwilliamson01

TDI
2015 GSW S
Heya Fellas-

Could anyone provide some general feedback on a few questions that I have?

1.) I have everything OEM FYI. My stereo seems very slow sometimes to take commands to change a track from the steering wheel commands or anything (touch inputs) as well. Is there anyway to wake it up a bit? Like reset it?

2.) Wheel Upgrade. This particular car OEM spec, came with a 16" Alloy Wheel that I am looking to upgrade to a
18" Pretoria Wheel - Black and am trying to determine if I am or could cause any issues to the DSG, the engine, suspension, everything? I am wanting to make sure that I am not going to pre-maturely ware anything out (engine, transmission, axels, suspension, clutch packs, etc. Presently has 47k on the clock.

3.) This is a 2015 Sportwagen TDI S DSG. What is the exact spec for this transmission? Is this one the DQ-250? Or a different variant?

I understand that we are a community of TDI owners whom know a great deal about these wonderful cars and wanting to get some feedback from the group and learn more about my car, which, has to last me a LONG time so I am looking to take care of this car!

Much Thanks!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Welcome to Fred's!

1. Hold the power button for more than 10 seconds, until the unit resets. It might solve your issues, but it may not. Some people are already experiencing issues with units in 2015 GSW, these units are called MIB1 or MIBI, while 2016 and upwards have MIB2, MIB2.5 which are faster and better overall.

2. I believe 18" wheels were an option for these GSW, but not absolutely sure. It is however, very unlikely that you damage anything if you upsize your rims, but workout the math on how to keep the overall diameter the same. Tirerack has a good calculator that can help you there.

3. No clue. I only have manual trans cars.

lwilliamson01

TDI
2015 GSW S
Thank you so much! Awesome, I am going to try that today with the Stereo. There was an option for 17" and 18" wheels with these cars and I am assuming that the transmissions and drivetrains were the same (if that is the case) then I would imagine that I would be good to go. I think that after researching it appears to be the DQ250 and not the DQ200.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Yup, all 2015 GSW have the same DSG or 6M transmission, and they all have the same CRUA code engine.
That is in US and Canada, as ROW has other engine codes, and I think even some PD (pompe duse) engine cars with DPF (diesel particulate filters).

Regarding wheels/ride height/comfort/looks. All of that is subjective, and as such opinions vary greatly. I generally want more height, so that my chances of getting stuck in the winter are as close to none, as possible. Hence, every VW I've owned has been raised at least 1".

Good thing about these cars, is that they share lots of parts with bigger/heavier vehicles (Tiguan), or more performant ones (Audi). There is a plethora of options OE/OEM/Aftermaket, just stay away from a dude called prothe.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
GSWs did come with 18s on the SEL, 17s on the SE. They each have lower profile tires so overall wheel diameter is the same. If you have those correct tires on the car the larger wheels won't change speedometer readings or gearing, nor will they rub. Whether or not you like larger diameter wheels is a matter of personal preference. I don't but that's me. I have the stock 16s on my GSW, and actually considered getting 15s. But the OE 15s available for that car are ugly.

lwilliamson01

TDI
2015 GSW S
GSWs did come with 18s on the SEL, 17s on the SE. They each have lower profile tires so overall wheel diameter is the same. If you have those correct tires on the car the larger wheels won't change speedometer readings or gearing, nor will they rub. Whether or not you like larger diameter wheels is a matter of personal preference. I don't but that's me. I have the stock 16s on my GSW, and actually considered getting 15s. But the OE 15s available for that car are ugly.
Yeah I found out pretty quickly that I prefer the way that the car performs, shifts, MPGs, with the 16s. It handles insanely well with the 18" wheels and looks amazing to boot. As far as the size of the tires, I believe that I did this correctly but not 100% sure; Volkswagen OEM 18" Pretoria Wheel - Black wheels 18 inch with brand new Bridgestone Potenza re97as 225/40 r18. I might just end up selling them as they are all brand new. Listed here: https://stlouis.craigslist.org/wto/d/saint-louis-vw-golf-wheels-tires/7239813971.html

lwilliamson01

TDI
2015 GSW S
Yeah I found out pretty quickly that I prefer the way that the car performs, shifts, MPGs, with the 16s. It handles insanely well with the 18" wheels and looks amazing to boot. As far as the size of the tires, I believe that I did this correctly but not 100% sure; Volkswagen OEM 18" Pretoria Wheel - Black wheels 18 inch with brand new Bridgestone Potenza re97as 225/40 r18. I might just end up selling them as they are all brand new. Listed here: https://stlouis.craigslist.org/wto/d/saint-louis-vw-golf-wheels-tires/7239813971.html
Thank you so much for the reply!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Expect a mpg drop with 18" wheels. I bought a set of Detroit 18" wheels awhile back, put them on for a month or so, and lost about 4mpg. Sold them last year. I may use the 15" Lyon wheels with Ecopia tires I have, only after winter though, don't know if the mpg hit is due to new tires I had put on in December or not.