2015 Sportwagen TDI oil level low message but level is good.

psohunter151

TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6 Speed ID PFN
I have a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI with the 6 Speed transmission. And I keep randomly getting a low oil level message in the dash with a red triangle showing as well that comes and goes. I am consistently checking the oil level (which is full and has not changed level) because it has me paranoid now :confused: I'm starting to to wonder if it might have something to do with my oil pump and or no oil circulation. Just wanted to see what you guys might think on this issue and if it might be something simple like a bad sensor. And if so I would greatly appreciate any and all info on replacing it or what I should do/check.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
When I bought my new stop-sale Sportwagen, it had a low oil level warning that was traced to the level sensor wiring harness which had been chewed by rodents. That harness is the low hanging fruit for critters that crawl up into the splash shield

psohunter151

TDI
Alright great! that's a start. I will definitely check that. that makes perfect sense if that's what it is. ill let you know what I find!

psohunter151

TDI
So I checked everything and all the wires look good. I even unplugged the plug from the sensor to look at it and it looked fine. I have notice now, that when I start the car and the light comes on. I turn it off, open the hood, take out the dipstick to check the oil level and clean it off and it's good. So I put it back in, close the hood and start the car and the everything is gone. Now if I don't do this, the light and message stays everytime..... It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Have you hooked up a VCDS or similar to read the oil level?

And where on your dipstick (aka indicator) does the oil come to?

These like to be in the middle, not jammed to the high side of full.