2015 Q7 TDI Startup Chain Rattle?

TDIWake

TDI
14 A6 TDI & 15 Q7 TDI
Just bought a 2015 Q7 TDI with 50k miles a few weeks ago. I noticed what I believe to be a timing chain rattle on cold start. Is this normal? Is there an oil check valve that needs to be replaced or does the timing chain tensioners need to be replaced? Very concerned with it at such low mileage. Any insight would be appreciated. I also have an A6 with the same motor and never hear this on startup.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Welcome to the forum and your new Q7!

I have (well my wife has) a 2014 Q7 TDI with 220k miles and we love it! It’s had the timing chain clatter at some startups for 80k miles or more (bought it used with that sound). I’m not too worried about it - there have been no reports of them failing on this forum (or others I have searched). It’s said to be caused by one of the hydraulic tensioners (top left I think) that looses a little oil pressure. Some say it can be replaced with a lot of creativity without pulling the engine. Audi dealers pull the engine and do the full timing chain replacement with all tensioners, etc. But really, not necessary to do anything in my opinion on mine.

here’s more info on the forum:

I also have an ‘09 Sportwagen TDI with 400k miles on it and love it, and tomorrow I pickup our 3rd TDI - an ‘11 A3. Maintain them well and they will serve you well.

mattbevans

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, 2015 Audi Q7 Premium Plus
I have the same vehicle with about 44K miles and it has the same noise. Just a little timing chain rattle that is totally normal when cold. Congrats on the new buy! Great vehicle.

TDIWake

TDI
14 A6 TDI & 15 Q7 TDI
Thanks for all the replies. I have done a ton of research, and from what I can gather, it is normal. I have a theory from my research that leads me to change my oil change interval from 5k to 3k and make sure the oil is at operating temperature when draining. The oil holds the soot in suspension, and it looks like it may clog some passages leading to the tensioner not working correctly till the oil pressure forces it. I did find one person that flushed the engine several times with some engine flush from liqui moly and new oil each time several times, and the chain rattle cleared up. Love the car, so just going to baby it some more with maintenance and enjoy it.

Jetta4Dollars

TDI
2003 TDI 1.9 Bosio 520 Sold 2011 TDI 2.0 sportswagon Buy Back VW 2013 Audi Q7 Prestige 20"
TDIWake
I would check your warranty. I purchased a 2013 Q7 Prestige with 117K on it Feb 13th. The exhaust fix was complete at 85K this extends the warranty for 48K more miles. I took mine to the dealer after my first week of ownership with DEF problems. While writing up the problems at the dealer I mentioned it had an oil leak. They gave me a Q8 to drive while they fixed my DEF injector, etc... and pulled the motor to replace the oil pan gasket while in the shop, all covered. The warranty covers almost everything on the motor and exhaust. I had my Q7 back several more times fixing the injector pump, pump heater, etc... Warranty is up now so just installed Malone Stage 2 w/DPF,Cat delete.
you can look up your fix date at
www.vwdieselinfo.com/