2015 Passat

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
Picked up 2015 TDI 6MT
(4th TDI since 2005)
impressions:
-engine, not sure if it feels like more HP, if i had to guess, i would say less pickup, but of course it hasn't broken in yet. It is a lot smoother though.
-trans, much smoother, but also more feedback, definitely a win
-interior noise, much lower than my 2012
-electronics- bluetooth has been fixed, no issues like the 2012, handsfree mic for phone is a big win, much easier for callers to hear me.
-interior finish- like to shoot the vw exec that made the decision to add a backup camera in place of autodimming mirror. Feels like adding an in-ground pool in the backyard of a house with no roof. Wasn't aware that any cars priced over 15k didn't have autodimming mirror. I need to get this fixed, I already have the mirror (from a junker). Anyone know of someone that can help in PA? Dealer's head spun when they couldn't just snap a connector to install it.
-headlights- big improvement over the 2012 which were so substandard as to be dangerous. worth the upgrade just for this.
-mileage- too early to tell for sure, but given winter fuel, and not broken in yet, seems to get pretty good mileage so far. I expect good things here.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Sounds sweet!
Have you popped the cover open on the mirror base to see if the power plug is there for the mirror? If so, just unclip old mirror and clip on the auto dim, plug it in and put the cover back on.
If it does not have the power plug there, then you will need to run that wire :(
The auto dim is one feature I had to have, it was not available in the Jetta.

What do you think they did with the headlights? Same housings, did they up the voltage and align them better?

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
the connector isnt there, wire is needed.
Best way to explain the headlight is that the 2012 had a pattern on the road- if you could see it at all. The 2015 has evenly lit road- and you can actually see the road is lit. The housings look to be the same, but the light pattern cutoff isnt as severe, and is more even and brighter- guessing voltage is up and tweak to the reflector design. Also note the driver door stays open much better than the 2012- another win.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
That's a bummer on the wire, I wish vw would just install a standard harness so people could just buy the parts and plug them in. They did the same thing from 12-13 when they dropped the standard rear door puddle lights, no plug to retrofit.. :(