2015 Passat Timing belt change CVCA

GolfRRRR

TDI
2015 Passat TDi
Looking at doing the timing belt on my wife's 2015 CVCA TDI, the one year wonder.
Anyone have a link to an inexpensive tool kit? I see there are two kinds, one that bolts into the crank (purple anodized and one that uses the 'teeth' on the crank to hold it. Will either work? The 'teeth' kit is on Amazon for under $60 and the other kit I've found is more than twice the price.

Please let me know what you have used and had success with, I plan to do the timing belt only 2-3 times as by the third time I'll be too old or too tired to do it myself. BTW, this VW has been perfect for 114,000 miles and I've only bought snow tires, new summer tires (Continental Pure Contact LS) and front rotors and pads. Excited to join the group.

-Chad

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
For the money you're saving by doing the TB yourself, I think it justifies buying the good Metalnerd tools. Also, be sure to buy a replacement stud for the tensioner so you don't have to mess with the motor mounts.

There's a great walk-through at myturbodiesel.com. You'll need to be a member to access the whole thing, for a $10 donation (IIRC).

Good luck!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
idparts will be your hook up on quality tools.

GolfRRRR

TDI
2015 Passat TDi
Thanks for the replies, wife got a quote for $1865 just for the timing belt change at the dealer.
Went to idparts and all in for parts and tools for timing belt change, dsg service and oil change (basically a 40k service kit) it's just under $700

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
how many miles on you're 15?

hey for that 1865 they are at least changing the water pump unlike my dealer that quoted $800 because "water pumps are only inspected and not replaced during TB changes".
Needless to say I never booked my TB job there.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
"water pumps are only inspected and not replaced during TB changes".
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. That has to be the stupidest goddamn thing I've ever heard.

How do you inspect an internal water pump? Look at the pulley "Yup, doesnt wiggle, it must still be good"?

What in the hell is wrong with these people? It's an extra 2 minutes, and that's IF you're a complete dumbass and cant figure out how to remove/reinstall the 3 bolts...

Good thing you got away from there.

Edit: I can't believe Double U Tee Eff is censored on this site. That's amusing.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Yep, my dealer wanted an extra $500 (on top of the ~$1.9k) to do the water pump with the TB change. Had it done at a local "trusted" TDI shop for $1k total.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I can’t imagine doing one without the other. My water pump failed at 53,000 miles and dripped coolant on both the timing and serpentine belts. I am all good until 180k now.

GolfRRRR

TDI
2015 Passat TDi
how many miles on you're 15?

hey for that 1865 they are at least changing the water pump unlike my dealer that quoted $800 because "water pumps are only inspected and not replaced during TB changes".
Needless to say I never booked my TB job there.
We're at 115,000, I'm planing on doing the 120K service (DSG, Filters and Oil change) at the same time I do the timing belt. If I have enough gumption I'll also give her a well deserved detail and ceramic coating :D

Does anyone have a service manual/copies?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a nice weekend planned right there. Just spent a good 4 hrs doing our 40K (DSG) this past weekend. Second time doing a DSG first time doing the over fill drain method, wasn't bad if I had put in what I guessed what I thought drained out, I would have over filled by .2L or so so glad I did the proper method. Will have to do the Alltrack DSG in about 2 months.

Ohh and adjusted the H&R rear sway bar to fill stiff, I bet the wife won't even notice, even though I did.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Thanks for the replies, wife got a quote for $1865 just for the timing belt change at the dealer.
Went to idparts and all in for parts and tools for timing belt change, dsg service and oil change (basically a 40k service kit) it's just under $700
Find a new dealer. My local dealer charges $975 for a timing belt job including water pump and fluids. I have a 2012 but the 15 is very similar. Pieced together my own kit and got the cheap tools.....all in I did the job for just over $300.

kamsox11

TDI
2015 Passat TDI
For the money you're saving by doing the TB yourself, I think it justifies buying the good Metalnerd tools. Also, be sure to buy a replacement stud for the tensioner so you don't have to mess with the motor mounts.

There's a great walk-through at myturbodiesel.com. You'll need to be a member to access the whole thing, for a $10 donation (IIRC).

Good luck!
Having trouble finding the walk-through for the CVCA. Do you have a direct link? Thanks!

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Anyone know how similar the DIY on the other TDI site is for the CVCA? (Am I allowed to link it here?)

The three part walkthrough looks thorough enough, but is written for the CJAA & CBEA.

Thanks for any input!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I'm working on a CVCA right now, 2015 Passat. There are three versions of this engine: The CKRA, CFFB and CVCA. The CKRA and CFFB have the
03L 199 207 mount, which appears that it does not need engine mount bolts removed in order to pull the timing belt. The CVCA engine has mount number 06K 199 207A . The bolts are ; 2-10 x 95 and 1- 10 x 105 and have to be removed, along with a pair of 12 x 70 engine to body mount bolts and a pair of 10 x 55 screws, one with a 5 x 70 stud. I use an engine support and there is an appropriate hole in the cylinder head casting to attach a clevis pin or shackle.

I wonder why in the world people think they need to destroy the tensioner stud to get it out. On the CKRA/ CFFB, the tensioner stud can easily be removed without damaging it. If the tensioner stud nut is removed, pull the tensioner toward the engine mount, remove the cam sprocket, as I suggest to do that anyway, and use a pair of alligator jawed vice grips to loosen the stud at it's base. No reason to destroy it... With the CVCA, there is no reason to remove the stud, as the engine mount has to be removed anyway.

I have wondered why VW waited this long to make an access hole in the internal fender skirt to aid removal of the rear upper engine mount bolt. Better late than never...

There are a lot of hoses in the way of the timing belt cover. The antifreeze expansion tank and fuel filter are easy enough to move, without removing any of the fuel lines or hoses. Both items can be laid across the front of the engine, where they are enough out of the way. The pressure sensors for before and after the particular emission box can both be removed with a single screw from the top of the engine. Unclip electrical lines to move the set. Lots of extra hoses to move from the top timing belt cover...

I choose to remove the center bolt from the Cam Sprocket. It's the last piece of the puzzle when installing the timing belt. I do like the simple way the cam adjustment works. Rather than the 3 bolts used in the PD cam sprocket, or the older ALH injection pump, there is a single small screw that adjusts the position of the cam sprocket.

I found the belt to be a bit frustrating to keep in position on the crank sprocket and the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). I slid a screwdriver between the belt and shield around the HPFP to keep the belt from jumping cogs. On the crank, I used a set of C-clamp style vise grips to lightly hold the belt into place while I maneuvered the cam sprocket's location. That made the job very easy.

I will post some of the pictures I took during the job when I've got some time.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
bringing this back alive. I have CJAA timing belt tool kit. What exactly do I need to buy to work with CJAA tools for CVCA? I know I need one or two tools to make this possible. Also Frank06 please do share away your pics of your project.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Also Frank06 please do share away your pics of your project.

I'm working on a CVCA right now, 2015 Passat.

I will post some of the pictures I took during the job when I've got some time.

2015Passat

TDI
2015 Passat TDI
VW dealer just did my 2015 Passat TDI for 1200 Canadian plus tax. Included water pump and new serpentine belt.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
This is strange to realize I left this hanging for going on 3 years...
First, I don't know when I can get a 2015 vehicle into the shop to repeat the process. More than that, I really don't care it it shows up anyway. To be quite honest, I find that engine particularly obnoxious. The engine work is so obscenely difficult when removing the cylinder head, it's cheaper to replace the engine. VW calls it marvelous engineering. I call it insanity.

The Common Rail engines don't exactly 'flow' through my shop. Most of the time, I'm dealing with cylinder heads that have blown all the exhaust rockers and bent all the exhaust valve, then twisted the pulley end of the exhaust camshaft so it no longer lines up. Last look, the average Exhaust cam is $420. The question.. Can the pulley end be returned to the proper angle, or even more important, can the same issue of the cam pulley part of the cam that holds the cam sprocket on, be installed so it does not ever spin out of line when the timing belt blows off. I think it can.

The method of design for the common rail engine's cylinder head, that has been adopted by Mercedes Benz, Volvo, BMW, along with Audi and VW is to place the hardened cam rings, properly aligned in a fixture. When the cam tube is filled with liquid nitrogen, -300 degrees, and the lobes, journals, gears and pulley end are induction heated to about 450 degrees, the cam tube is slid through the cam 'rings', etc. The nitrogen and heat are turned off, the tube expands and the rings 'shrink to fit'. There are no pins, flats, splines or any other method to keep the cam lobes and accessories in place except the friction of the interference fit of the parts.

The reason for the conversion from conventionally made cams to this new process is purely financial. They are cheaper to build. As I have often said, "The Bean Counters are building your car." It's purely the cost of heat treating an entire cam compared to how many 'cam rings' can fit into the same space. I would roughly guess that 3x as many rings could be placed in the same space of a single cam. Induction heating a single cam compared to mass-heating a hundreds of cam rings is a big cost savings.

That turns out to be a big problem virtually every time the belt breaks, the cam sprocket holder shifts in relation to the cam tube. The relationship of the two cams; the sprocket is removed, the keyway should be at 12 o'clock when the sprocket is removed, . The dents in the camshaft should allow all of the head bolts to bypass both camshafts, without having to relocate the cam position. If this does not happen, the most common occurrence is the exhaust cam (sometimes also the intake) have shifted from their proper position and the valve opening is happening at the wrong time.

TDIClub member 2, if you got someone to put in a timing belt, complete, for that price, they must be very hungry for business up there. The issue of replacing the belt being so necessary, as long as the mechanic doing the job realizes the absolute necessity of the replacement of the stretch bolts and the belt and other components need to be the highest quality. I also would suggest the fancy water pump electric shield cover, which makes the engine warm up quickly is more of a problem than an advantage.

DO NOT believe 120,000 miles or 190,000 Km is realistic to run the timing belt, particularly in the less moderate climates. What VW completely discounts is TIME. I don't think it's a problem to run the timing belt for 6 years, but 8 years is a bad idea. That would put the last of the TDI engines from 2015 in the category that the engine could suffer catastrophic failure from the breaking or skipping of the timing belt. Are you ready for a $7500 engine replacement?

The heat of summer exacerbates the failure rate. In case you hadn't noticed, it's been a particularly HOT summer in the South Central US. Don't be one of those who are sorry they didn't listen.

Figure it out. 1. Get an expert to install the timing belt. 2. Get high quality components.

Questions?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
His signature is Missouri, lol you down for road trip?

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Heh… I appreciate the offer, but honestly, the machine work I do is the major purpose of the shop.

Most TDI stuff, like cylinder head, block, VE injector pumps and nozzles, porting and balancing services.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
This is strange to realize I left this hanging for going on 3 years...
First, I don't know when I can get a 2015 vehicle into the shop to repeat the process. More than that, I really don't care it it shows up anyway. To be quite honest, I find that engine particularly obnoxious. The engine work is so obscenely difficult when removing the cylinder head, it's cheaper to replace the engine. VW calls it marvelous engineering. I call it insanity.

DO NOT believe 120,000 miles or 190,000 Km is realistic to run the timing belt, particularly in the less moderate climates. What VW completely discounts is TIME. I don't think it's a problem to run the timing belt for 6 years, but 8 years is a bad idea. That would put the last of the TDI engines from 2015 in the category that the engine could suffer catastrophic failure from the breaking or skipping of the timing belt. Are you ready for a $7500 engine replacement?

The heat of summer exacerbates the failure rate. In case you hadn't noticed, it's been a particularly HOT summer in the South Central US. Don't be one of those who are sorry they didn't listen.

Figure it out. 1. Get an expert to install the timing belt. 2. Get high quality components.

Questions?
Hello,

Thank you so much for the valuable input, I have had several friends and TDI owners out there laugh at me for doing the TB on my CVCA at 80k miles last year, that's a 2015 car that sat 2 years plus FL heat and so forth. Belt looked ok but showing age. rollers had some unusual noises.

I even argued with most of them for following the VW recommendations blindly without realizing age/elements (cold, hot and so forth) do truly affect X of the parts of TB. I even had my TB done on my CJAA JSW at 72k miles 2 years ago.

I saw so far about 3 common rail lost the original TB due to age. one went at 75k miles CJAA. other one went at 80k miles in the CVCA as both were at the highway speed........ both motors were goners. VW replaced the whole shebang under emission warranty. they are lucky on that part.

so your input will definitely make them not to argue with me anymore!

I thank you for this!

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
So on my 2015 Passat CVCA, I did my Timing belt, Serpentine Belt, Water Pump on 1/1/22 at 125k miles was a good move. (I guess six year old belts came off).

I didn't realize there was a problem. I still have two more 2015 Golf Sportwagons CRUA cars. One has 80k the other pushing 100k. Guess I better start planning a weekend, to do the 100k first!

TedDively

TDI
2005 Passat BHW 5.5 GLS TDI
So on my 2015 Passat CVCA, I did my Timing belt, Serpentine Belt, Water Pump on 1/1/22 at 125k miles was a good move. (I guess six year old belts came off).

I didn't realize there was a problem. I still have two more 2015 Golf Sportwagons CRUA cars. One has 80k the other pushing 100k. Guess I better start planning a weekend, to do the 100k first!
How long did the job take you to complete, and were there any "fiddly" issues to deal with? I'm thinking of buying a 2015 Passat CVCA 6-speed automatic with almost 130k miles, and no one knows if the timing belt's been done. My guess is that it hasn't, which would make it the first order of business.