2015 Passat Timing belt change CVCA

TedDively

TDI
2005 Passat BHW 5.5 GLS TDI, 2015 Passat SEL CVCA
Revising this thread, gang.

Two Saturdays back, I took possession of a 2015 CVCA Passat with only 35k miles on it. It's in fine shape. My question is this: Should I go with the maintenance schedule for planning the timing belt replacement, which could mean many more years before getting close to 130k, or plan to do it sooner due to age?

pedroYUL

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW(brother)
Revising this thread, gang.

Two Saturdays back, I took possession of a 2015 CVCA Passat with only 35k miles on it. It's in fine shape. My question is this: Should I go with the maintenance schedule for planning the timing belt replacement, which could mean many more years before getting close to 130k, or plan to do it sooner due to age?
Did you see the other recent threads of 2015 with TB failure? Maybe ask those guys why it happen.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
For peace of mind get it done. Then follow the schedule. Might as well do the DSG and other things too, about time for the DSG anyway. Start fresh like it was new.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I'll give you a point of comparison.

In around 2018, a customer found a New Beetle from 2003 on the docks around San Diego, that only had 47,000 miles, but the car had sat on the dock for just about 12 years. The belt had taken a set and you could see the cracks in the cogs. The entire vehicle had a strange patina of orange rust evenly coating anything steel in the car. The tires were cracked and dry rotted. I told the customer he could start the engine to pull it onto a trailer and once again, to drive it into the shop for a belt change, along with many other weather and age related services.

I have customers who thought they could go 100k on a timing belt and that is true... maybe even 120k, but it's not going to work driving 5,000 miles a year for 20 years! The age of the belt will get you when it becomes oxydized and breaks. 5 years is the conventional wisdom for a belt change. The 2015 says how many miles, but it says nothing about the years. On that, you have to be sensible.

Further, if you have the belt fail on the 2015, it is so complicated, entire engine replacement is cheaper than repairing the cylinder head and reinstalling it. So, not only do you need the belt changed, you want someone installing it that knows exactly what they are doing.

TedDively

TDI
2005 Passat BHW 5.5 GLS TDI, 2015 Passat SEL CVCA
Replacing the timing belt on the 2015 CVCA Passat definitely seems more complicated and fiddly than on my old 2005 PD version. I'll plan to do the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, etc. as soon as I can make space in the garage, and dedicate an entire weekend to it.

As for other stuff, I've already ordered a 40k DSG kit from IDParts, which I plan to do in a couple of weeks. Might as well do it now, instead of driving another 4.4k miles. I was really pleased that the car averaged almost 55mpg on the drive from Cotati, CA back to San Francisco.

As always, y'all and the tdiclub forums are a wonderful resource for this backyard mechanic.