2015 Passat TDI with TDI GEN3 PHASE 2 AEM pending

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a new-to-me 2015 Passat TDI SE that I has 84,400km and one owner. It took a while to find something in good shape and I'm loving the car so far.

Carfax and VW Canada shows that there is a pending open recall on the car: TDI GEN3 PHASE 2 AEM

VW Canada says to speak with the dealership on this, which I have and they said to book the car for the repair.

Now my question here is regarding the warranty as per the documentation.

" The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the greater of:
- 11 years or 261,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
- 5 years or 97,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honoured for 5 years or 97,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2."

I called the dealer that the car was serviced at and phase 1 was completed in 2017 when the owner was receiving the car.

I'm uncertain if phase 2 I would need to get done ASAP or if there is a reason for me to wait?

If this is the wrong section, I apologize. I was going to post this in the NMS Passat section but thought that this may be a bit more fitting.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Some want to get it right away and others want to wait. Both choices have + and - . I am in the same situation as my car has not had the complete phase two of the emissions recall. I am waiting to get it done at some point in the future. I have discussed it with my current dealer to ensure it is on record and they are aware it still needs to be done. Some dealers will want to do it as soon as possible though, I think just to get it off the record for VW. My car was new in 2017 (stop sale car) when I bought it. It now has similar mileage as yours. If I have any trouble with the emissions I will get it replaced. There are some guidelines for when it was supposed to be done. I can't see having them replace perfectly good working parts though just to satisfy the court order as soon as possible. I want the warranty to last as long as it can. If you wait you can extend the long warranty an additional 5 years/milage. Or you may get screwed by VW. Your take your chances no matter the choice you make.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I think you need to look into "if they still own you $$$".....
If they already paid all the "dieselgate" moneys to the original owner, there's no incentive that I can think of to go ahead with the 2nd mod until your 1st warranty is about to expire (granted that they won't deny you coverage if something fails during this time). If there's still money on the table, you may want to consider that this amount will keep dropping as the milage\age increases so you may want to pull the trigger ahead of time and get the cash.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually.... wait.... if the in service date was 2017, you will be covered until 2028 or 261k which is greater of the ph1 (about to expire due to 5 years) and another 5 years plus 97k from now..... so if there's no money on the table, leave it alone and go by the 11year\261k coverage as that's your best option. (also means a half neutered TDI)

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Actually.... wait.... if the in service date was 2017, you will be covered until 2028 or 261k which is greater of the ph1 (about to expire due to 5 years) and another 5 years plus 97k from now..... so if there's no money on the table, leave it alone and go by the 11year\261k coverage as that's your best option. (also means a half neutered TDI)

Thank you, I'm unsure of any status with the owner and payment. I called VW Cambridge yesterday and they said my warranty expires in the next year or so but I wasn't sure exactly what warranty she was referencing.

All I know is that my wife's 2015 Touareg TDI has warranty for KM's or to a certain year and she had some DPF related issues a few weeks ago that were repaired and covered under this emissions warranty.

Essentially, I don't want to be stranded with bills for this system and I'd rather be protected by the warranty as long as possible for this costly emissions system.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't trust anything "they say".
Get them to look it up or call VWoC to get exact details.
If it was sold and fixed in 2017, you have 11y\261k as per above which is greater than 5y\97k x2 according to my math......

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you wanna borrow a calculator?
He's at 84k now... Add 97k to that.... Is your result more or less than 261k? :unsure:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
No need. The OP posted they were interested in keeping the warranty in place for as long as possible. If they waited until the end of the 11/261k and then did the phase 2, it would extend another 5/97k for a total of 16 years and 358k. I think that is unlikely to happen. At some point I think they will force the issue and it will get done.