2015 Passat TDI Front End Clunk and Wheel Alignment

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
1. I have had a clunk for a while, replaced sway bar end links, struts, and the LCA back bushings. Still got a clunk. New bolts next logical step?

I'm wondering if its subframe shift due to bolt stretch?

2. I put 4 new (18 inch stock rims) on 4000 miles ago, just noticed inner driver side tire is worn to the threads on the inside, passenger side is almost as bad. The 2 rears look like new, almost no wear. So I badly need a wheel alignment and 2 new tires.
3. I religiously rotate tires, I rotate them every 10,000kms (6,000 miles) and have done that forever on all my vehicles. My Tacoma winter tires lasted 18 years, summers on it now are 12 years old. The Pirellis that came on the 2015 went about 50,000 miles. I check them for wear when I rotate them- but in 4,000 miles, who checks for wear? Car drove very straight/normal- I've driven about 1,500,000 to 2,000,000kms in my lifetime and almost never have needed a wheel alignment.

I'm taking the car to have a wheel alignment done at a good tire shop, not the dealer.

If it is subframe shift, they will need to install new bolts, should I get a set ready for them? What does a wheel alignment shop know about subframe shift, if that's what it is? I believe the process to do a wheel alignment on this car is to adjust the subframe/align the subframe?

Any recommendations on the process to follow?

Thanks for any help.

Don

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
There seems to be some unique frustrations with properly aligning the NMS cars, but it can be done with proper knowledge/technique/know-how. I suggest reading this thread, paying close attention to posts by thundershorts and oilhammer. (I have some vague recollection of another alignment thread here for NMS where thundershorts lays out "instructions" for proper alignment, similar to post #4 of the following thread, but perhaps it is that post that I am remembering. I just thought it was laid out with bulletpoint or enumerated instructions rather than comments in a paragraph. But I cannot find that thread anywhere, if it exists.)

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I had already found the thread you linked, it was beneficial.
I’m just trying to anticipate potential issues with getting a wheel alignment done, I guess I’ll take it in and see what happens.

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
I had same frustration. Two trips to dealer (same technician) and it was corrected.

My issue was applying torque with wheels not straight. I would hear a metallic clink from right front. The tech fixed it on second Vista. By replacing sub frame bolts.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I had an alignment done, no mention of subframe shift. I guess I have to find a picture host site to post a pic here?

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
So what do you think of the before and after? The dealer did the alignment and commented on the left front camber being "not that terrible" but not perfect. They said in a message they could do more with "an item on the sub frame".

I never hit a big pothole, I can't think of a normal reason for this unbelievably quick tire wear, other than maybe the sub frame bolts having stretched? My invoice says:
Checked over suspensions and tire pressures, no issues found with tire pressures or suspensions.

I left my worn tires on the front of the car for the alignment, they did the alignment, then I replaced the 2 front tires with the exact same tires as were there before.

I plan on going back to discuss the comment "an item on the sub frame".