2015 Passat TDI EA189? Coolant hose issues

jdes00

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE manual, 2015 Passat TDI SE manual
Has anyone else have any Coolant hose issues? I have coolant literally gushing out of a coolant line behind the valve cover, against the firewall. Dealership is saying that it's cracked. Left me stranded...I am wondering if maybe my heater core is clogged?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Were you getting heat in the cabin evenly on both passenger and drivers side before the issue arose? If so, the core is probably not clogged.

It seems conceivable that a completely clogged core could burst or crack a hose due to excess pressure. If it was my car I would replace all the hoses between the radiator and the heater core (inlet and outlet).

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Your Passat is EA288. EA189 belongs to 2010-14 JSW, Jetta and Golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JazzBeBop

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE manual
Has anyone else have any Coolant hose issues? I have coolant literally gushing out of a coolant line behind the valve cover, against the firewall. Dealership is saying that it's cracked. Left me stranded...I am wondering if maybe my heater core is clogged?

I have the same leak on my 2015 Passat TDI EA288. I told the dealership when it was under warranty and they told me that they couldn't find a leak anywhere, but it was really easy to find. A TDI mechanic that does not work for a VW stealership, found it and told me that he had someone else had tried to get the work done under the dieselgate fix extended warranty, but to no avail.

jdes00

TDI
Were you getting heat in the cabin evenly on both passenger and drivers side before the issue arose? If so, the core is probably not clogged.

It seems conceivable that a completely clogged core could burst or crack a hose due to excess pressure. If it was my car I would replace all the hoses between the radiator and the heater core (inlet and outlet).
No heat at all actually.

jdes00

TDI
My particular issue is 2 fold:

• Never had an issues until I took it to the dealership for the Urea fix (car stopped registering urea in the tank). The next day, the host breaks leaving me stranded.
  • Then, I ultimtely pay the dealership to fix the issue then...36 hours after receiving it... ...it breaks again leaving me stranded this time WAY out of town.

So a hose functions just fine for thousands of miles (I put about 4 - 5k on it, 115k total), I bring it to the dealership for an unrelated issue and now I have a car that cannot hold it's coolant; keeps puking.

Last edited:

jdes00

TDI
How does this happen in a day and a half?:eek:

Last edited:

jdes00

TDI
I have the same leak on my 2015 Passat TDI EA288. I told the dealership when it was under warranty and they told me that they couldn't find a leak anywhere, but it was really easy to find. A TDI mechanic that does not work for a VW stealership, found it and told me that he had someone else had tried to get the work done under the dieselgate fix extended warranty, but to no avail.
Hey are you in the Houston area? I see you are in Texas? I could use a good TDI mechanic ASAP.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
How does this happen in a day and a half?:eek:
They put too much stress on the engine when working on it if they replaced your DPF, or hit it with an arm or tool while working on your car. Cheap part, but they should fix that.
My bet is on the over rotating of the engine (it pivots back to allow removal of the DPF) and something hits that piece or pulls on the hose too hard and it cracks.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
wow.... my Passat has NOT have that issue ever. been deleted since 40k miles and now 105k miles running like a reliable singer brand sewing machine.

Kevin 2015 TDI

TDI
2015 SE
wow.... my Passat has NOT have that issue ever. been deleted since 40k miles and now 105k miles running like a reliable singer brand sewing machine.
I had a 2012 TDI with no issues, I like the car so much I bought the 2015 with lower miles. I haven't had any issues at all until yesterday. They don't make the OEM part anymore it's discontinued. I need to check with Volkswagen dealership and see if there's an alternate or redesigned assembly. My temperature gauge was fine until it wasn't, when the park blew. There's no warning for indication of engine overheat so I wonder if it's a pressure issue.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI

part is 5K0122157K (can do google search for better prices)

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a 2012 TDI with no issues, I like the car so much I bought the 2015 with lower miles. I haven't had any issues at all until yesterday. They don't make the OEM part anymore it's discontinued. I need to check with Volkswagen dealership and see if there's an alternate or redesigned assembly. My temperature gauge was fine until it wasn't, when the park blew. There's no warning for indication of engine overheat so I wonder if it's a pressure issue.
2012 Passat or? they are entirely different animal of engine family. EA189 (found in 2012-14 Passats/ 2009-14 JSW, Golf, Jetta sedans) vs EA288 engine (2015+Golf, GSW, Passats and Jetta)

PLC Geek

TDI
2015 TDI SE 6MT
I had this exact part go bad on me today, got it replaced and it blew another hole in it 200 miles later on the interstate. Is there a more permanent fix?
When mine broke it wasn't long after they did the stage 2 fix. In my opinion it is a piss poor design that is susceptible to breaking easily from any side loads. I think they stressed it when they did the fix.
I had to replace my heater core not too long after replacing that fitting. I was very careful not to side load the hose while working back there. I'm at 175K miles now and have not had any other issues with that fitting.
Knock on wood.