2015 Passat TDI 6 sp manual shifting

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
I am finally able to go test drive a car to replace my Miata which was totaled 3 months ago. Back and knees coming along slowly but I'm functional and wife too.

In town driving, like 35 mph what gear you running 3rd or 4th

In town driving 45 mph. what gear you running 4th

On 55 mph roads, what gear are you all running in , 5th I think. 6th seems to lug a bit, only like 1600 rpms or so.

65 mph or higher 6th gear for sure.

I've read the sweet spot for mpg is around 2200-2300 rpms

If i should purchase one, just curious as i don't want to lug it, and like my 2003 jetta tdi, I try to keep the rpms above 2k, and also helps control sooting up in egr and intake. Are there similar problems with the 2015 passats. Not sure what I'll do, Jetta or Passat, lot depends on money, insurance and such. Fixed income so the budget comes first and I won't be working PT for some time yet, at least one knee needs to be replaced, maybe both due to accident.

This was an entirely different driving/shifting experience than my 03 Jetta 5speed Sure loved the ride at 70 mph on Interstate for 5 miles.

Thanks for all your suggestions and thanks to all who wished us a speedy recovery. Speedy it isn't but recovery it is.

couleetdi

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Sweet spot for MPG is more like 1200-1800, granted that's on flat ground at least that's what our '15 DSG wants to be at, she usually grabs a gear if a hill is encountered.

When I was rowing my own gears in my 2010 jetta (which has similar gearing to your '15), I kept it more along 1600-2,200, which meant most time was spent in 4th on the country back roads 30-45mph where I live. At 45 it'd was a toss up if i'd go to 5th, the hills near us usually meant I kept it in 4th.

rpms of 22-2300 doesn't mean you'll get worse MPG just gotta be warry of getting on boost. I'd be more focused on boost more than rpms for RPMS.

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Shiftin

TY 740GLE. I'm sure we share similar roads and landscape, Wisconsin and New Hampshire. I live on hill, only way up county road from three directions, 900 feet above valley floor. My 03 rolls up in 5th gear just fine, but different animal that Passat is.

Thanks for the verification, if and when i decide it's good to know up front.

couleetdi

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
6th gear is very tall. I only really use it on the highway/interstate over 65 mph. I run mine at 1800-2200 rpm most of the time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
TY 740GLE. I'm sure we share similar roads and landscape, Wisconsin and New Hampshire. I live on hill, only way up county road from three directions, 900 feet above valley floor. My 03 rolls up in 5th gear just fine, but different animal that Passat is.

Thanks for the verification, if and when i decide it's good to know up front.

couleetdi
I've never driven a pre CR TDI but my guess is the super low end torque was limited due to emissions ad DPF health, I know the irony ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't drive my '15 GSW manual any differently than my ALH cars, except I shift into 6th over 55 or so. Otherwise it's the same. No need to over think this. It is VERY different from a Miata, however.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
exactly, even my 1.6 idi didn't have much low end- but it was a non turbo, 50hp but it sure got the miles per gallon! 55 was common ground