2015 Passat sits too low w/ cargo carrier - what to do?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The issue I had with the blue ones is that they're too short and a little loose. The red ones fit much tighter in my springs.

or this way

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Once you squeeze out all of the air, put one of the little vacuum caps on the nipple so that it stays compressed, otherwise, it wants to spring back to its original shape quickly (drawing in air).

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thank you very much for the link and other inputs! I just shared it with my local mechanic. I told him estimate an average of 1.5 hours of labor. Let's see what he has to say.
It's easier if the springs are out.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Yes and the shop as the proper lift and safety equipment to do this job.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yes and the shop as the proper lift and safety equipment to do this job.
The red ones that I selected are slightly taller and slightly wider. They fill the spring. You can see how loose the blue ones are. It still shows a bit of squat. Ones I had there was no squat

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Also the Air Lift 1000 Air Suspension Kit 60815 is more readily available than the Firestone one. The brand 'Firestone' also does not give me enough confidence but it might just be my perception.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Also the Air Lift 1000 Air Suspension Kit 60815 is more readily available than the Firestone one. The brand 'Firestone' also does not give me enough confidence but it might just be my perception.
I've had both sets. The 1000's are better. My blue ones. The stupid quick connect broke. My red ones had easily 50k miles. And always under pressure.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
air lift are red, firestones are blue, two different "brands".

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I am very thankful for all the suggestions and feedback but I should have done my homework correctly for my 2015 Passat. Today I had an embarrassing moment when I get a call from the shop telling me that the Air Lift 1000 Air Suspension Kit 60815 is the wrong size 🤦‍♂️ 😬 ! So I went to the shop, they put everything back and lowered the car. Now take the measurements of the coil springs. Inside height around 9.5" and inside diameter around 3". I pass the information to the Air Lift customer representative and he recommended the 60902 model:

Air Lift 1000 Universal Air Spring Kit Chart

Kit #Min. Diameter (Y)Max. Length (X)
609003.00″5.50″
609013.00″8.00″
609023.00″9.00″

So the part is coming tomorrow. The other wrong one is already on its way back.

I also talked with the shop owner regarding replacing struts/shocks since the car has already almost 170,000 miles and I want to keep the car for many years. Any recommendations that does not break the bank. Ok, everything is more expensive right now, I realize that. I do not think I can afford the Bilstein HD ones (like $800). What about Sachs or Koni or other brands.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I am very thankful for all the suggestions and feedback but I should have done my homework correctly for my 2015 Passat. Today I had an embarrassing moment when I get a call from the shop telling me that the Air Lift 1000 Air Suspension Kit 60815 is the wrong size 🤦‍♂️ 😬 ! So I went to the shop, they put everything back and lowered the car. Now take the measurements of the coil springs. Inside height around 9.5" and inside diameter around 3". I pass the information to the Air Lift customer representative and he recommended the 60902 model:

Air Lift 1000 Universal Air Spring Kit Chart

Kit #Min. Diameter (Y)Max. Length (X)
609003.00″5.50″
609013.00″8.00″
609023.00″9.00″

So the part is coming tomorrow. The other wrong one is already on its way back.

I also talked with the shop owner regarding replacing struts/shocks since the car has already almost 170,000 miles and I want to keep the car for many years. Any recommendations that does not break the bank. Ok, everything is more expensive right now, I realize that. I do not think I can afford the Bilstein HD ones (like $800). What about Sachs or Koni or other brands.
Thats my bad. That was apparently the ones I just got for my lowering springs .. 60897 looks like the ones I got for oe springs. They were just contacting at normal ride height... Hopefully the company did a free exchange.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats my bad. That was apparently the ones I just got for my lowering springs .. 60897 looks like the ones I got for oe springs. They were just contacting at normal ride height... Hopefully the company did a free exchange.
No worries. Amazon had no issues taking the previous one back thankfully 👍 The new one (model 60902 is on its way).

I am now researching the strut/shock options/budget to do it all together if possible.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
No worries. Amazon had no issues taking the previous one back thankfully 👍 The new one (model 60902 is on its way).

I am now researching the strut/shock options/budget to do it all together if possible.
Your front struts going out? Just buy Sachs and have everything swapped over if their good.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Your front struts going out? Just buy Sachs and have everything swapped over if their good.
Well I am the third owner of the car as far as I know and struts/shocks are the original with 170K miles on them. I think I would prefer to do the suspension upgrade now that I recently purchased the car and enjoy the ride for seven, eight or more years. I am thinking with installing the Air Lift helper bags it is a good opportunity and be done with it.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well I am the third owner of the car as far as I know and struts/shocks are the original with 170K miles on them. I think I would prefer to do the suspension upgrade now that I recently purchased the car and enjoy the ride for seven, eight or more years. I am thinking with installing the Air Lift helper bags it is a good opportunity and be done with it.
well i purchased coilovers. wish i would have kept the stock rear springs got the ride height. Ive just got lift pucks for the rear so i can get above normal height if i want.
As for coilovers in the front. on the hwy its a firmer yet smoother ride. (i have the rebound set to soft)i have the ecs coil kit. its about an inch lower than stock. the front will get higher than stock, but the rear maxed out is about an inch lower. if you keep stock rear springs that wont be a problem.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Folks, for my 2015 Passat do I need the round spacers in this picture? It is missing in my kit model 60902:

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
I'm pretty sure the "spacers" are there to protect the airbag from damage, so I would definitely get them for installation.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - the kits I've put in my Mk7 cars, there was a thicker and thinner "spacer" for top and bottom; I wouldn't go through the hassle of installing if it without those in place.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I
Folks, for my 2015 Passat do I need the round spacers in this picture? It is missing in my kit model 60902:

Never used them in mine. But it depends on the height of your bags. That's why I got taller bags than advised for my car. There's already rubber 📔 ng the perches

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the responses. After spending a considerable amount of time on the phone with Air Lift customer service they told me that the spacers they have are 3.5 inches in diameter and my Passat coil spring inner diameter is 3 inches. Bottom line: I told the shop to install them without any "spacers".

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Installation complete! Will post picture(s) once it is loaded fully with the cargo carrier. Pictures shown with 20 lbs of air and new Koni Yellows shocks (thanks IDParts):

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Installation complete! Will post picture(s) once it is loaded fully with the cargo carrier. Pictures shown with 20 lbs of air and new Koni Yellows shocks (thanks IDParts):

And they ride so much better with weight now