2015 Passat Question DSG vs Manual

WNY PAT

Veteran Member
Hey Gang,

Been gone awhile. Lol. Had a 2000 Jetta TDI back in the day and then a 2009 Jetta TDI after that. Well, family obligations… then ya da ya da ya da…. and here I am back looking at Passat TDIs as post-COVID I’ll be driving a whole lot again for a few years. I’ll be averaging about 40K miles a year for the next 2-3 years depending on how a project I’m assigned to goes. May even have a 4th year tacked on as well, so you see why I’m thinking TDI. I didn’t follow the emissions scandal too closely, so I’m wondering if someone can nutshell what’s the current word on the 2015s?

I always had manual TDIs and loved them. I’m not opposed to a DSG but I’m happy to have another manual too. Has the DSG proven to be reliable? Are folks happy with them?

As the 2015-2016s have aged, any common issues? Have you all been generally happy?

Other than the TB service and DSG service, any other major expenses I need to plan for at given mileage intervals?

I understand the DSG service is every 40K and about $400.

Wondering what the new TB interval is? And is it still around $1,000 to do the TB service including the water pump and pulley?

Are there any significant worries following the reprogram for emissions? Any limitations on the emissions warranty? I notice a lot of 75K - 80K mile cars available… is that just a coincidence? Or are people dumping these for a reason as the emission warranty expires?

Thx much for any info all!

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I'm the same as you had, 700k total on 2 mk4's, always manual. have a 2013 passat dsg, deleted with a tune and i think the dsg is pretty good. at 205,000 miles on mine with no issues. Change dsg fluid every 40k (not 400 bucks if you find a decent independent). If deleting isnt an option (i see you are in NY) i'm not sure i would go the tdi route. All the issues are within the emissions parts, and many on this board cant even get them fixed because parts are on back order for indefinite periods of time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Good of you for sticking with 2015/16 vs '12-'14

For emissions warranty, depends on when things were implemented as a new car or if the owner at the time had upgrades applied.

Coolant clogging has been an issue with the Passats, higher EGR duty cycles of the updated emission software. Not so much on the '15, but routine coolant flushes wouldn't hurt, we had ours done at 60K.

Water pumps are known weak points on 2015's, which requires 70% of a TB job. updated parts are availbile which should reduce failures going forward.

As for DSG owner and former 6MT owner, DSG while isn't as fun, doesn't really leave me missing much of the 6MT other than kind of bragging writes. DIY service for the unit is straight forward and can be done for $100 and an hour or two of labor.

TB service is 130K miles, 1000-1400 depending on the shop doing the work.

WNY PAT

Veteran Member
Ugh. Hate the emissions road block. So frustrating. And here in NY, they emission test as part of the annual inspection so no way around that for me. Thx for the replies. Now I have some thinking to do.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I like the DSG a lot, and did my own service at 40K and saved a bundle. Not hard at all (used drain and fill with accurate measurement etc).
Read up on the threads here about issues with the 2015s, most of the topics were mentioned. My '13 has been good so far but only has 42,000 miles on it and only 1 heater core clog. Still getting great fuel economy post-fix, but less than the stratospheric mpgs I was getting pre-fix.

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
Hey Gang,

Been gone awhile. Lol. Had a 2000 Jetta TDI back in the day and then a 2009 Jetta TDI after that. Well, family obligations… then ya da ya da ya da…. and here I am back looking at Passat TDIs as post-COVID I’ll be driving a whole lot again for a few years. I’ll be averaging about 40K miles a year for the next 2-3 years depending on how a project I’m assigned to goes. May even have a 4th year tacked on as well, so you see why I’m thinking TDI. I didn’t follow the emissions scandal too closely, so I’m wondering if someone can nutshell what’s the current word on the 2015s?

I always had manual TDIs and loved them. I’m not opposed to a DSG but I’m happy to have another manual too. Has the DSG proven to be reliable? Are folks happy with them?

As the 2015-2016s have aged, any common issues? Have you all been generally happy?

Other than the TB service and DSG service, any other major expenses I need to plan for at given mileage intervals?

I understand the DSG service is every 40K and about $400.

Wondering what the new TB interval is? And is it still around $1,000 to do the TB service including the water pump and pulley?

Are there any significant worries following the reprogram for emissions? Any limitations on the emissions warranty? I notice a lot of 75K - 80K mile cars available… is that just a coincidence? Or are people dumping these for a reason as the emission warranty expires?

Thx much for any info all!
2015 for any TDI would be the best best. Try to find one that has only had phase 1oc the emissions done. Put the VIN into vwdieselinfo.com and if it says PARTIAL for the modification then you have a good option. Here is why. When phase 2 is completed you get an additional 5 years or 60k miles of dieselgate warranty.

2015’s get 11years or 162k miles base dieselgate warranty from the original in service date. Worst case scenario that means they have warranty until 2025 or 162k miles.

If you wait until your close to the 11 years or 162k miles then have phase 2 done you will have warranty for 15 years or 212k miles.

Lots of people didn’t know this and had the phase 2 fix done right away. They screwed themselves out of a lot of extra warranty coverage.

I own a 2015 SE with 6MT. Love the car. My biggest concern is what I will have to settle for once this car is finished.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
who buys cars for a piece of paper?

life's too short, tune it and delete it!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
life's too short, tune it and delete it!
yep! that's what I did on my 2015 Passat TDI SE, best thing ever. no emission testing here in FL, thankfully and all those headaches with those EPA mandated programming junk are long gone! will do timing belt soon. now 88k miles. she runs flawlessly. heater core failed but drivable and scoots nicely on Malone stage 2.