2015 Passat Highline, thinking about buying but have questions

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
So while at the family cottage on Monday, I just happened to notice a Night Blue Metallic 2015 Passat TDI 6spd manual for sale at a local small town garage. I've been on this forum for years now and feel I have a decent knowledge of the MK4 platform with the ALH engine but this is a whole new ball game for me. I believe this would be called the B8 Passat with the CVCA EA288 engine if I've done my research correctly. Anyway, I gave him a call and took it out for drive today. The car itself is pretty decent. Much nicer interior than I'm used to. However I was honestly kinda disappointed with the power. To compare, my 2dr Golf has 3" exhaust turbo back, Stage 1 Malone Tune and upgraded Bully clutch and nozzles which in my mind should make the 2 cars around equal in power and torque. I fully realize the Passat is a much bigger car but I still feel like it was lacking in the power department. My little Golf with 400k+ kms would eat this thing for breakfast from a light. It goes ok like maybe a stock mk4 ALH would I guess. It has had VW's fix. There are no service lights on.

Questions,

To the guys that have driven both. Should the stock Passat feel more like a modded ALH?

Is there any issues with intake clogging from EGR causing power loss?

Is there anything else that would cause this lack of power?

I turned the heater on (today's temp was 32°C or 90°F) to check the heater core and felt just cool air coming from the far right vent. I'm assuming this is a clogged heater core. Is there any issues with blend doors that would cause this as well?

The A/C didn't feel really cold. In my Golf I actually have to raise the temp because it gets frosty cold. In the Passat, the A/C just felt cool. I had it on Max AC and recirc on and it never really got to a temp where I think it should. Is there any common AC related issues to be concerned with?

TIA

nedyalkov

TDI
2015 Passat
Cant answer all your questions, but i can definitely confirm that the power is ridiculously bad. I did Malone stage 2 on mine and it got better but i will be doing the DSG tune as well because it is sluggish when you go down on the gas. Besides the power issue the car is pretty nice though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is called the NMS Passat, we did not get any "real" Passats after the B6.

A tune will wake it up, but in addition to being a bigger car it is also geared taller than what you are used to, and the power band of the newer engines is a little higher.

Unless something is wrong with it, though, it should/would/could even post fix easily outrun any stock ALH car, no contest. So either YOUR ALH is a LOT more powerful than you think it is, or something is not right with that car.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Thanks guys!! If I did purchase, it would definitely be tuned straight away after resolving any potential power issues.

Unless something is wrong with it, though, it should/would/could even post fix easily outrun any stock ALH car, no contest. So either YOUR ALH is a LOT more powerful than you think it is, or something is not right with that car.
My ALH has Stage 1 Malone Tune when it was stock, Then added either PP520 or PP502 (cant recall). Then I hammer modded the IQ to be in a respectable number. Also turbo back 3" exhaust. Everything else is stock so I can't see it making more than 120HP. I'd be shocked if TQ was higher than 200. So in my mind before driving I figured including the weight difference the 2 cars would feel about the same on the butt dyno.

Is there any intake clogging due to EGR issues with these cars Pre or Post fix?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
EGR issues only happen if the DPF fail.

IMO ULSD and better designed CCV systems took care of 99% of EGR & intake clogging, but then again these cars haven't really piled on the miles compared to the slew of ALHs still on the road.

I'd be more concerned with failing water pumps before EGR and intake clogging.

As for power we've run stock "phase 2" tuning for the past 2 months, I haven't sent off ECU stock file back to malone for a re-flash. I can say the power at "tip in" and throttle response is probably the biggest thing that stock tuning lacks. If you still romp on it with aggressive peddle that power of 230tq and 150hp is still there just kinda hiding needing to be prodded more.

Also if you do buy, I would highly recommend a rear sway bar i can't stress how much that made the car more "sporty" and more enjoyable to drive.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
No abnormal issues with ac on these Passats, with the dual controls I find it works better when synced. My 98 beetle with Upsolute felt quicker than the 13 or 15 Passats which have not been tuned. Be interesting to compare a real torque curve on these tdis. The Passat is almost as good on fuel as the beetle.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Regarding the apparent lack of power in the '15, while I have not driven a '15 model, I can say regarding my '13 Passat DSG (with similar HP and TQ specs) is that it is VERY peppy and has gobs and gobs of power throughout the rpm range. The idea of chipping the car to have any more power makes no sense at all, at least to me.

If I drove a '15 or any of the NMS Passats that I was thinking of buying and felt it was lacking in power I would run from that car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I think one of the thing the epa fix did was adjust the torque delivery, and bumped up the RPM a bit, so then it seems a little sluggish due to the crazy tall gearing and leisurely driving.