2015 passat...flashing glow plug and CEL and limp mode??

TimLuke75

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Good afternoon all. My 2015 Passat TDI SE suddenly gave me a flashing glow plug light and CE light the other day. I found the top of my fuel filter leaking diesel and the filter itself pretty dirty. I replaced the filter and drove again. The glow plug light stayed off and the car drove fine until about 50 miles. Then it felt like I lost all acceleration power as if it slipped gears or something and the glow plug light came back on. I took it to an Autozone and got a basic code check and it came back with P0402 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected) and P0299 (Turbo/Super Charger Underboost). Would either of these codes put the car into limp mode?? And is what I'm experiencing even limp mode or is it a possible transmission issue? This Covid thing has really struck me hard financially and I cannot afford to take it to a dealer at the moment! Thanks in advance!!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Do you know about your extended emissions warranty? More than likely you are covered and should take it in.

Everything except the trans is covered that sets a CE light and those two things are engine/emissions related not transmission. I also wouldn't mention anything about changing the filter. You probably did it wrong, no offense. It really should be primed properly when changed.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Please report back what happens please. Everyone wants to know how these things go. Take the paperwork with you. Did you buy this from a VW dealer or another?

TimLuke75

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I bought it from Carvanva actually. In October 2019. It's my first Diesel and although I've always worked on my own cars, this is a whole new animal to me. I appreciate your help!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Those generic scanners can only retrieve basic codes. Perhaps there is a low rail pressure or something from the dirty fuel, hopefully it is not the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) or lift pump (inside the tank) that failed and sent metal all thru the fuel system (really bad).

In any case, the dieselgate warranty should cover you good. Don't let the dealer bully you, VW is on the hook for many things.

TimLuke75

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Ugh...I didn't even make it through my neighborhood before the DPF light came on, and then it shut down completely. Fingers crossed that this can be fixed by VW Dieselgate warranty!! I will need to have it towed to a dealership though now. :(

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
You can make sure the status of your dieselgate warranty here:

just put your vin and it'll let you know if your car has been thru the part1 or both 1+2 of the fix, and when.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Some people say this warranty isn't worth the paper its printed on. But I have helped several people now who had no idea and got relief (repaired for free) under this warranty. Please keep us informed as it helps others and keeps VW's toes to the fire.

Splice2

TDI
vw passat tdi
I had a similar problem with my 2013 passat. My turbo went out about 102,000 miles went into limp mode while the glow plug light flashing with high pitched noise. Had turbo changed out for free under warranty. To check repair made they checked compression and stripped the threads so go a new cylinder head etc along with repair. Went ahead and had the timing belt/water pump changed and they only charged me for parts and 1hr of labor since the engine parts were already set in motion for the timing belt to be changed. Didn't want the dealership to blame faulty work on an older timing belt gone bad since the head replacement was so extensive. Had gotten a quote out of curiosity a year earlier to save up. The timing belt/waterpump would have been over 1200-1500 easy. I even got a loaner car for the entire repair which took more than 3 wks.

M_B

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Sel
Just had my 13 do the same thing. Flashing glow plug light,and limp mode. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire fuel system from the tank forward,including the injector pump and injectors. All work was done under a TSB VW issued. And a courtesy car for the week.

TimLuke75

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Update: I got my Passat towed to the dealer over Thanksgiving holidays...and there it still remains. They replaced the DPF under warranty and still had faults. They just finally got back to me today (over a month later?!?!) and said the timing belt and tensioner need replacing and it is NOT covered under warranty...they want $1336.00 for this repair. I do NOT want these jerk-offs to do the repair, so my question is this: can I drive the car to a different shop within 20 miles or so safely?? If I buy a full kit, is this a repair I can do myself? Thanks for everyone's input, I would've been dead in the water had I not learned about the Dieselgate thing!

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
How many miles on the engine? Yes, a DIY timing belt kit can be done, but it requires some skill and special tools, and a day or two if you have never done one before. Driving the car to another shop is probably OK but you could also have it towed and the Dieselgate warranty may cover that too.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Wait, but did the dealer solve the check engine light and other faults? Nothing related to the timing belt creates a CEL.

If you are mechanically inclined you can certainly do the timing belt kit (belts, tensioner, rollers, water pump) yourself. Yes, as Tom said some special tools and knowledge is needed.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Try to get a copy of the diagnostic scan. My 2014 CKRA had the flashing glow and limp mode, it turned out to be a bad
Air Charge Temperature Sensor. Located on the side of the intercooler and pretty simple fix. Good luck, John

Diesel strong

TDI
2015 Passat
Hello
I own a 2015 Passat TDI with 83500 miles and I notice the air bag light came on and the horn wasn’t working and the steering wheel controls as well.
I bought a new clock spring, now the horn works I reset the air bag light but now I have the glow plug light blinking and the wipers would turn on out of no where while driving. Super weird.
So I decided to remove the new clock spring and install the old one and I noticed the glow plug light wasn’t on and the wipers didn’t turn on
So I when back and install the new one again but I’m running to the same problem.
I hit a wall don’t know what to do
I try to calibrate the steering wheel as well, but nothing

Diesel strong

TDI
2015 Passat
Thank you oilhammer
I need about a month to get cash
Is it okay drive around with the glow plug blinking light on
My TDI Volkswagen is my only transportation

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I wouldn't drive around with my electrics malfunctioning just to have steering wheel controls and horn.... sounds like you're already strapped for disposable cash, so if you fry something else (clearly it's interfering with something to make your wirers and cluster act up), you'll have to come up with a lot more cash.