2015 Passat DSG tranny oil change

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I need to change the DSG tranny fluid, what's the easiest way to poor the fluid into the tranny? From the top or force it in from the bottom? What kind of pump are u guys using, I also thought I read that it takes approx 4.5 litters give or take, any suggestions would be welcomed,

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I use a $25 deck sprayer to push the fluid up through the bottom. The fitting for the drain can be made from a drain plug that is drilled and threaded to accept an appropriate means of attaching the sprayer hose...or of course just buy the fitting.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
So how do you know how many qts of fluid you'd need?? I imagine you jack up the car all wheels level then warm it up, release the excess of fluid??,,That plug seems to be a nice option to shoot fluid into tranny, I I thought that most members were using the gravity pouring from the top..

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Never tried it from the top but Ive heard that it takes much longer to do.
Generally, it should take around 4.5 liters to fill a trans from which 4.5 liters was drained.
Most time when I drain the tranny on customer cars I will get 4+ liters. This last time I did it on a MK6 only 4 liters came out.
If you only drain 3 liter from it (stand pipe removed) then it will take more to fill it to the overflow level. I usually have 5 liters to do the fill and if it takes more I have a bit on hand to supplement it.
Some cars that come in only drain 2 liters and the owner never knew it was low so, as long as you are not sucking air in the sump the car will move.
If the fluid gets so low that it can't shed the heat efficiently then I think that you will run into trouble.

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Unless you have a pressurized sprayer (like JETaah) or similar device, you are stuck using gravity to fill the transmission.
I have used the official VW fill tool (adapter for the transmission drain hole, 10 foot long hose, and adapter to connect onto a 1 Liter bottle of transmission fluid) and I have used the "Herm-o-fill" using a hose to fill through the fitting for the transmission filter. The top fill is the MUCH better choice of the two.
Regardless of the method used to fill, I always add 5 Liters. The procedure to check the level will drain out any excess, so I don't worry about adding 4.5 vs a full 5. As long as some excess drains out I know I have the correct level.

bryanmabbott

TDI
'02 VW Golf Manual; '13 Touareg TDI
DSG Funnel

I've done both through the filter hole and down the bottom with the adapter. Through the filter takes almost an hour of standing by and adding 5L of fluid. I ended up buying the DSG adapter with funnel from IDparts and snake the tube from the top of the engine bay; takes less than 15 minutes. Make sure you have a clamp to pinch the hose to prevent fluid loss. Easy peasy and I've been doing this way for the past 4 DSF fluid changes.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok it seems by pushing through the bottom it is quicker, but to push the fluid to the tranny are u guys using a pump or it goes by gravity as well?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I use the pump. Lots of transmissions get filled like that, and the adapter kit comes with the fitting for the 02E DSG (Mightyvac brand). Although I still use the old VAS adapter and a different pressure vessel for these, dedicated to JUST the 02E, since I do so many of them.

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
I use a pump from IDparts, and OBDEleven to read the temp, the gravity method sucks to fill, and IMHO so does the refill what you drain out method

TDI
Passat TDI SE
DSG Funnel

I've done both through the filter hole and down the bottom with the adapter. Through the filter takes almost an hour of standing by and adding 5L of fluid. I ended up buying the DSG adapter with funnel from IDparts and snake the tube from the top of the engine bay; takes less than 15 minutes. Make sure you have a clamp to pinch the hose to prevent fluid loss. Easy peasy and I've been doing this way for the past 4 DSF fluid changes.
Do u have a link so we can see it please?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I bought and use the first one. No issues. I just leave the oil in the garage. In the summer it is over 100 outside. It flows okay and didn't take long to get it in.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
So it takes about 15 min With the funnel (no pump) i already bought the funnel, so I will try to do the oil change from the bottom