2015 MK7 Golf clutch bleed issues

Tec20runner

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S manual
Hey guys,
New to the forums here but ran into a major issue a month and a half ago that I’m still trying to recover from. Clutch pedal stuck to the floor while driving with no pull offs (single lane twisty mountain road). Destroyed the clutch completely so after some debating swapped to a solid flywheel stage 2 clutch setup and replaced the concentric slave as well.
Now I can’t get clutch pedal pressure… so replaced the master cylinder and literally did everything I could think of to get air out of the system but still do not have usable clutch pedal pressure. I’ve got a friend coming up with the motive pressure bleeder today (I have no experience using that). Hopefully that resolves it? Any tips or other suggestions?

Tec20runner

TDI
Just to add a little more, I tried every YouTube video recommendation on bleeding and had no joy. I’m at my wits end on this now hence the post…

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
Motive power bleeder works every time, it will take 1 minute and you will cry tears of joy

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The solid flywheel was a big mistake. It will destroy the synchro rings in your 02Q transmission within 10k-15k miles. It was ok on the older TDIs, but not on the '09+ models.

Tec20runner

TDI
The solid flywheel was a big mistake. It will destroy the synchro rings in your 02Q transmission within 10k-15k miles. It was ok on the older TDIs, but not on the '09+ models.
interesting, I’ve never heard of that from anyone. I even had an ex VW mechanic say it was a good choice…have You had this experience yourself or?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
interesting, I’ve never heard of that from anyone. I even had an ex VW mechanic say it was a good choice…have You had this experience yourself or?
I second that. Saw a video of a guy in YT go for a SMF with a common rail car 6-spd and indeed ended up destroying the transmission.
That was old school thinking on DMFs, perhaps a bad batch of those early on. Same for cams in PDs, perhaps a bad batch but the myth remains.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a pretty well known problem. Most vendors have either stopped selling the 02Q smf kits(for TDIs), or have a disclaimer stating it will ruin the trans., lol. Sorry for your misfortune.

Last edited:

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
do you by chance have any guidance for using it?
you will need the proper adapter for the clutch master. All you do is make sure the reservoir is full, connect the adapter, pump it up (I usually use 10 psi or so) then bleed the slave cylinder just like you normally would, just dont run out of pressure. I have never had it not work, and typically takes one minute

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I second that. Saw a video of a guy in YT go for a SMF with a common rail car 6-spd and indeed ended up destroying the transmission.
That was old school thinking on DMFs, perhaps a bad batch of those early on. Same for cams in PDs, perhaps a bad batch but the myth remains.
Maybe this video?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The spec for bleeding the hydraulic system on the Mk7 is 2bar (close to 30psi). 10psi will be way too low....at 30, I worry about blowing the cap off the reservoir, so I usually put it somewhere in the mid-20s.

Instructions:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I wonder what vendor the OP sourced is clutch flywheel set up from and was it labled suitable for TDI (which is an error).

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
I can’t speak for the mk7 clutch but getting a single mass on my mk4 was a big mistake; harder to shift and i attribute the first gear synchro blowing to the heavier pressure plate. The dual mass is vastly superior unless you think yourself a racer. Kinda sucks that’s what you put in, up to you what you do with it…

Regarding the bleeding, i did mine with the motive and it worked perfectly, the clutch was by far the dirtiest fluid.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've installed close to a dozen SMFs now on Mk4 cars, and never had an issue; shifting just as good as before (if not better) - flushing out the old transmission fluid probably helped with that, too. Others have installed many more, and vendors like CascadeGerman (was just asking about a SMF a couple weeks ago) stock them in the hundreds - and this is the first I've heard of someone having issues with the SMF apart from maybe more rattle at idle (not a shifting issue per sé).

With that said, though, this is the Mk7 we're talking about here, and everything I've read says "stay with the DMF".

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The MK6 and MK7 02Q cars just don't tolerate SMF kits. Mostly because of the steel synchro rings, but probably also in some part due to the commonrail engine harmonics. Synchro failure typically happens within 10k miles, but a few lucky owners may get to 20-30k before failure. It's unfortunate, and understandably confusing to commonrail owners that had decent results w/ SMF swaps on previous generations of TDIs and other vehicles.