2015 Jetta TDI SEL RNS315 upgrade

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Has anyone replaced their RNS315 radio/nav igationunit with anything better (like aftermarket). This RNS315 can't hold a radio station constant in the city of Houston. the volume/reception is up/down. If I use an app on my smartphone for local stations, it sounds great. What is with the reception? Is there an antenna solution or is this unit just not that great, or am I missing something in modern radio technology? Thanks for any help.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
There is.a speed controlled opinion for the volume level which I always set to off,
That may save your volume problems. For reception I may be your being blocked by the buildings.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Has anyone replaced their RNS315 radio/nav igationunit with anything better (like aftermarket). This RNS315 can't hold a radio station constant in the city of Houston. the volume/reception is up/down. If I use an app on my smartphone for local stations, it sounds great. What is with the reception? Is there an antenna solution or is this unit just not that great, or am I missing something in modern radio technology? Thanks for any help.
xm/sirrius radio is great!..I just can't deal with the 30% of actual song time to the 70% of commercials:mad:.. I got the lifetime subscription.. you could not pay me to get rid of it:D

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
xm/sirrius radio is great!..I just can't deal with the 30% of actual song time to the 70% of commercials:mad:.. I got the lifetime subscription.. you could not pay me to get rid of it:D
The music stations don't have commercials, but after ~8 hours you realize their playlist is like 20 songs... :mad:
I don't have the lifetime subscription, but I do call and renew every time my promo period is up.
What I don't love is my deck. I'm not sure which one it is but it looks like this:

I thought the deck was awful until I compared the SQ of XM vs bluetooth (which is amazing for a stock system). I'm not sure what the hell is going on, but my long-term plan is replacing the deck and piping the cheap ass onyx tuner from my '02 into it. I know XM is compressed, but I can't believe how bad the sound is through the stock deck.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
The great thing about XM is I switch around to 50's 60's 70's 80's then classic vinyl..hairband.Patriot channel:eek:..Dr. laura.(helps my marriage:rolleyes:)..and others.. kinda hard to get bored with anything.. I have the rns 315 with nav..volume is not a problem:D

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Am I the only one that thinks the audio quality of satellite radio is crap? A 128k stream from Spotify free sounds much better. I was told by a friend that satellite radio was amazing if you like talk radio, but not so much for actual music.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
I posted the original message, and on Friday the 20th, I treated myself to a subscription to SiriusXM. The volume is crystal clear and perfectly steady. Quickly switching to FM and the reception/fade/volume is up/down and impossible to listen to. I will pay attention to the talk radio vs. music discrepancy that is mentioned with satellite. When I play any radio station via Bluetooth to my RNS315, the reception is great, but changing programming via cellphone apps while driving is not something that I want to do, and I want the ability to quickly change programming.

Last edited:

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Am I the only one that thinks the audio quality of satellite radio is crap? A 128k stream from Spotify free sounds much better. I was told by a friend that satellite radio was amazing if you like talk radio, but not so much for actual music.
On the my stock deck it is awful. Satellite radio is really compressed in the first place, but I've never noticed it in any other vehicle.