2015 Jetta TDI SEL Modification Status "Partial"

2K_

TDI
None Yet - About to purchase
I've spent a decent amount of time looking around the site as I haven't been a member (not owned a TDI) for many years. I haven't found an exact situation as mine but hoping the community can assist.

My COVID return to office plans (have been working from home for 1.5 years) have been announced by my employer and as part of my particular situation, I am being relocated to an office that is an additional 16 miles (one way) from my home - The longer commute warrants a vehicle with better mileage and reliability (current vehicle is 04 Audi A4 1.8T CVT with 172K miles.)

There is currently a Buy Back 2015 Jetta for sale that has the following history:

2/23/2015 - In service date (14 miles)
3/16/2016 - Buy back completed (9357 miles)
9/18/2017 - Initial Emissions Repairs completed; Vehicle sold at auction (9358 miles)
6/2021 - 2nd owner traded in/sold to dealership (53~K)

The inspection I had done on the vehicle only showed one glaring issue and that was a P20E9 code which I'm reading is a "common" problem with the emissions fix and "should" be covered under the warranty. If I purchase the vehicle, I will be requiring that to be addressed prior to the purchase.

To that end, I was trying to confirm the extended emissions warranty for this car - The info issued by VW says it should be the greater of the 11yr/162K miles OR 5yrs/60K miles FROM THE DATE OF COMPLETION FOR PHASE II.

If I'm reading this right, the car still needs Phase II to be completed and if so, I would then have till 2026/162K miles correct? Should I have the Phase II completed before purchasing or just get the P20E9 addressed first and then the Phase II done after I purchase? Any advantage to one way or the other? If not, I'd appreciate anything I may be missing about this vehicle - Again, is in excellent physical condition and is the main reason I'm considering this car (and the lower mileage even given the overall situation with the dieselgate vehicles.)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You have it essentially correct. In your case the 11 year/162k miles is the greater of the two. that assumes you get part two done now. If you waited two years to get it done then the other variable would rule. But it depends on the trans in your car. They want to do it at differing mileages for the standard vs the auto. 70k vs 40k IIRC. Either way you should have coverage at least as far as you have suggested so far. They will want to do the second fix as soon as possible more than likely. If you have any issues with the dpf they will fix it and call it fix 2 is my understanding.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The second part is just an unnecessary replacement of the DPF as a "good will" deal, that they agreed to for the EPA. It isn't really a second change or modification of anything, and in many instances is just going to cause more harm than good. Because you make a dealer tech do a 50% labor rate job. I'm already dreading this, it's like the BEW EGR cooler nonsense all over again (missing hardware and brackets, etc.). I see it almost daily on something now. Intake manifold replacements on the CJAA are pretty much 100% guaranteed to have pieces missing or screws in the wrong place.

So I would not even bother with it. And if you are still driving one of those awful FWD Audi CVTs after 172k miles, my thumb is up to you! I've done so many M-unit replacements in those both before and after the lawsuit/warranty extension!

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
The second part is just an unnecessary replacement of the DPF as a "good will" deal, that they agreed to for the EPA. It isn't really a second change or modification of anything, and in many instances is just going to cause more harm than good. Because you make a dealer tech do a 50% labor rate job. I'm already dreading this, it's like the BEW EGR cooler nonsense all over again (missing hardware and brackets, etc.). I see it almost daily on something now. Intake manifold replacements on the CJAA are pretty much 100% guaranteed to have pieces missing or screws in the wrong place.

So I would not even bother with it. And if you are still driving one of those awful FWD Audi CVTs after 172k miles, my thumb is up to you! I've done so many M-unit replacements in those both before and after the lawsuit/warranty extension!

What do you suggest I do:
My CVCA Passat has turned 141k, and has a Kerma ECT Tune / DSG Tune. I did the timing belt myself, and now it's a game of how high can I make the ODO read! I drive 40k a year, mostly highway in South Florida. I come to realize that there this Phase 2 deal, to replace DPF etc etc. I'm tempted if this buys me longevity. But I see you are not biting on this deal. So should I leave it the hell alone, and plan on a DPF replacement on my own when it needs it later (or a delete), or bite the forbidden fruit?

Thanks