2015 Jetta 2.0 Diesel Timing

DieselDave2

TDI
2015 VW Jetta 2.0 Diesel TDI
I have 89,000 miles on my car. Replaced the timing belt, before I removed the old one, I installed the crank timing tool, the camshaft locking pin, the high pressure injector pump locking pin. Removed the old belt installed all the new studs, rollers, water pump & belt tensioner. Followed the Alldata instructions on timing belt installation & put lower cover on, which has a timing mark on the plastic cover & a small notch on the back lip of the harmonic balancer. the two don't match up. the harmonic balancer is slightly to the right of the raised line on the plastic lower belt cover.

DieselDave2

TDI
Is there anyone who has done one of these engines that can tell me if this is okay? I know that this engine has variable valve timing & diesel engine's are very high compression so there is no room for error.

RogueVW

TDI
mk7
I did the timing belt on my 2015 Golf SW. I did not notice a mark on the lower timing belt cover. If when you rotate the engine to TDC, the crankshaft, cam shaft and HPFP are all lined up and pins can be inserted, you should be all set.

DieselDave2

TDI
Thank you RogueVW.
I did that & was told that if the mark on the timing cover did not match up with the notch in the backside of the harmonic balancer that the crank was not at the right place. there is no marking or dot on the crank sprocket to indicate TDC that is why I inserted the tools in all three positions before removing the old belt. (Or that is how I remember it, but I have started doubting myself) So now the only way to check TDC is to remove the injector on #1 cylinder. Or is there a timing mark on the flywheel that I can reference TDC, know some cars have them.