2015 Golf Wagon, any buyers regret?

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
After 2 days the only regret I have is 5 years of payments, lol.

It's a truly epic car.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
finished the first leg of a 2,400-mi+ trip (heading back Tuesday); got nearly 50mpg with avg 70-75mph speeds - quite happy... some nitpicks after several weeks of ownership:

i do wish the GSW would remember the 'recycled air' setting of the AC - kind of a PITA to have to press the button every time (the choice of AC on/off *is* remembered though)

EDIT AND UPDATE: silly me! if you turn the A/C setting to 'coldest,' the recycled air setting is automatically selected!!! w00t!!! this will come in handy for our 100F days 'round these parts!!!!

2ND EDIT AND UPDATE: nope! not remembered and recycled air is NOT turned on upon startup, even if the coldest A/C setting is selected - MUST toggle cold setting, so might as well just tap the button! arrgggghhhh!

the remote entry on the hatch (tilt the emblem when in proximity to open) seems to be hit-or-miss - sometimes the key is recognized, while other times i have to tap the remote's 'hatch' button to open for access - i'll figure it out eventually

for all the bells, whistles, and doo-dads, even on the base 'S' model, why did VW skimp out and not put a rubber/plastic/chrome protector on the top of the rear bumper? (something i miss from my Nissan Rogue)

just my $0.02, otherwise a great vehicle (my first VW and diesel)

willie
on the dieseling Gulf of Mexico

Last edited:

SnowBeer

TDI
MK7 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI 6MT
finished the first leg of a 2,400-mi+ trip (heading back Tuesday); got nearly 50mpg with avg 70-75mph speeds - quite happy... some nitpicks after several weeks of ownership:

i do wish the GSW would remember the 'recycled air' setting of the AC - kind of a PITA to have to press the button every time (the choice of AC on/off *is* remembered though)

the remote entry on the hatch (tilt the emblem when in proximity to open) seems to be hit-or-miss - sometimes the key is recognized, while other times i have to tap the remote's 'hatch' button to open for access - i'll figure it out eventually

for all the bells, whistles, and doo-dads, even on the base 'S' model, why did VW skimp out and not put a rubber/plastic/chrome protector on the top of the rear bumper? (something i miss from my Nissan Rogue)

just my $0.02, otherwise a great vehicle (my first VW and diesel)

willie
on the dieseling Gulf of Mexico
The hatch opening is hit or miss for me too with the key in the pocket. I think my credit cards might be messing it up.

Also dislike the recirc thinking its smarter than me.

bangoman

TDI
Former 2.0 TDI owner
My only regret is that this car didn't exist 5 years ago when I moved to Canada. I have been through a mk4 Jetta wagon, a Touareg, a B6 S4 wagon... finally I got a mk7 GSW. 3000km in, it's perfect!

richyrich

TDI
2014 Touareg, 2015 Sportwagon (gone to the big emissions-lot in the sky)
It's my wife's but I drive it when I can and we both love it. She had a 2011 Jetta before and the GSW is a lot more refined, well put together, comfier and quieter drive and lots more. It also has a great spec considering we got the base model - Trendline in Canada, approximately an "S".

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
No regrets so far either. We just turned 2000 miles and had it since end of April. We are about to make a trip up to Canada so anxious to see what MPG's we see.

Kessy has issues working sometimes when my work card reader badge is also in my pocket. Not really any fault of the car necessarily. We do love the car and the wife really appreciates the torque. We average high 30's/low 40's per tank with mixed driving; little highway.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
NOT a Passat wagon

Only regret is that it couldn't be a more roomy Passat Variant TDI.
I WANT one.

Otherwise, when I don't need to schlepp two kids, spouse, and luggage/cooler, it is GREAT!

V0X

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
rolled out of a 2015 4Runner (owned) into the GSW S and absolutely love it. Great driving car, 50+ MPG highway MPG, ample storage, ample tech and under $25k.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Thanks for all your input, I almost bought a Passat TDI and while at the dealership saw the GSW TDI and stopped short of buying the Passat, hopefully will buy one soon, just the base S model is more than enough features for me.

bil

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL, traded 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
I am really enjoying my new GSW SEL. If you are considering (as I did) the S or SE be sure to test drive for more than one hour on the highway, to checkout the seat support. Some people, me included, found the seat to be painful (no long term support). The SEL seats have good support and an excellent lumbar that has a vertical adjustment. Hope this helps everyone select the model that is right for them, enjoy.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Good point Bil, I ended up getting the S and so far love it, the TDI S have a lot of features that are not available on the non TDI S trim models. Glad I switched at the last minutes from the Passat to the GSW, no regrets at all.

Borsig

TDI
Seats in the S ad SE are horrible.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
Seats in the S ad SE are horrible.
personally, i wouldn't say horrible... i found a 10-hour drive from Biloxi, Miss. to Tampa, Fla. in our old Nissan Rogue (mid-level trim) to be almost unbearable on the back and rump...

on the other hand, a 10-hour drive from Tampa, Fla. to an hour north of Charlotte, N.C. in our GSW S was perfectly fine... lumbar support would have been nice, but an extra $6,000 for a better seat? (we didn't want a sunroof or NAV or the other 'upgrades,' and apparently VW doesn't offer ala carte options)

and our GSW was cheaper than the Rogue!

willie
on the comfy, diesel-sippin' Gulf of Mexico

Borsig

TDI
I fthe seats are all you are comparing in an S vs an SEL, then thats not a fair comparison.

personally, i wouldn't say horrible... i found a 10-hour drive from Biloxi, Miss. to Tampa, Fla. in our old Nissan Rogue (mid-level trim) to be almost unbearable on the back and rump...

on the other hand, a 10-hour drive from Tampa, Fla. to an hour north of Charlotte, N.C. in our GSW S was perfectly fine... lumbar support would have been nice, but an extra $6,000 for a better seat? (we didn't want a sunroof or NAV or the other 'upgrades,' and apparently VW doesn't offer ala carte options)

and our GSW was cheaper than the Rogue!

willie
on the comfy, diesel-sippin' Gulf of Mexico

xtsallad

TDI
'15 MKVII tdi sportwagen se 6mt
No major regrets regarding the purchase. I do wish I had 18" wheels rather than 17s lol. The AC isn't the coldest and the paint on the bumpers is terribly prone to chipping. The other bummer is the rear torsion beam suspension. But I'm still 98% happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xtsallad

TDI
Forgot to mention the stock ride height on the tdi wagon. It's got a really un-German wheel gap.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
The car was great on the highway heading up the Northeast PA Turnpike to I81 and into Canada on the Mississippi Lake by Carlton Place. It was a 7 hour trip. I kept my speed at 75 mostly but I could tell when I slowed to 55-65, that’s where you can see some 50mpg’s. I was more interested in getting up there so mileage suffered to 46.6 for the tank. Return trip wasn’t as good as we had lots of stop of go for some construction and running Route 11 in Pa to avoid some of it. Four 5’ 10” adults with 4 suit cases and a few odd items. Car never felt down on power even in 6th on some of those steep hills through NY and Pa.

Even the back seat occupants commented how great the seats were. Honestly the best car I’ve had for long trips in from the driver seat. We love the car and the occupants that went with us (Wife's sister and her husband) are considering a TDI GSW as well.

Borsig

TDI
Forgot to mention the stock ride height on the tdi wagon. It's got a really un-German wheel gap.

Not if you have 18's or 19's

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
rolled out of a 2015 4Runner (owned) into the GSW S and absolutely love it. Great driving car, 50+ MPG highway MPG, ample storage, ample tech and under $25k.
And you do not miss all that cargo space you lost?

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
What do you mean? Explain please. Thank you.

Seems all foreign cars shifted to become just another American car in terms of look and interior design. Chevy is not a role model.

xtsallad

TDI
What do you mean? Explain please. Thank you.

Seems all foreign cars shifted to become just another American car in terms of look and interior design. Chevy is not a role model.

I just mean that I compared the ride height and wheel gap between the U.S. model I bought and the European models VW U.S. uses in its marketing material. In the U.S. marketing images the cars have a much lower stance than the models sold. I prefer a more aggressive and sporty look and to me that comes with a lower ride height and smaller gap between the tires and the fenders.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
more space

I like the extreme aerodynamic shape of the Sportwagen, but as I mentioned in my previous post, hauling two kids and wife with luggage on a trip is extremely limiting. Passat wagen would be much better, But of course we can't buy one in North America.

I found a solution:

I have the class I version of the Torklift Ecohitch, so this will work perfectly.

Space issue solved for less than $80, and no need to stack things to the roof in the cargo area!

Last edited:

itsjonduhh

TDI
Golf TDI S (one day)
saw a new golf wagon for the first time in person today. looks super sharp in person. wasn't super excited from pictures online... but wow.

BernieMac

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Automatic
Purchased the 2015 Golf about a year ago and absolutely love my first experience with a diesel. The performance and fuel economy is beyond expectations. We live on the east coast of Canada and the big disappointment has to be with the poor heating in the winter months. I need to drive the car at least 15 - 20 km at high rpm before the engine will even reach 1/2 normal temperature. I know diesels are slower to heat but this is downright dangerous in the winter when the defrosters cannot keep the windshield clear. Have been dealing with the dealer on 6 or 7 occasions but to no avail. As much as I love the car, this problem would keep me from buying another or recommending a diesel for anyone in cold climates such as ours. Anyone else having this problem?

Zut Alors!

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I'm coming from a Prius so I'm addicted to high mpg numbers, and considering the difference in mass and size, the drop from 45 to 38ish mpg is totally worth it, as is the fact I'm not in a tin can with a space-age powerplant. It's got plenty of power, the fit and finish of the car is great, and even in S trim you get way more than a comparable sedan for the price... and it's a real station wagon, unlike the crossovers posing as wagons that Subaru sells nowadays.

Borsig

TDI
I drove a prius. Once. Couldnt get used to the football field long dash and goofy placement of the instrument cluster.

Zut Alors!

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
The instrument cluster placement was weird, but you get used to it because the only things you pay attention to (speed and fuel level) are in your peripheral vision as you drive. What bothered me was the ungodly slow acceleration and the fact that it was a tin can. So loud at speed and the metal in the doors was so thin--I had a rather large dent in my rear passenger door because a shopping cart hit it at speed.
So color me surprised when my car got totaled when I hit the rear of a stopped Suburban... at 15 mph.

lil'oilburner

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
I had a Gen 3 Prius (current bodystyle) and after driving it 2+ years this is what I took away...speed/acceleration isn't an issue in the Gen3 but the Prius image is!

Design flaws:
1) Instrument cluster location; for a 100+ years everyone's put the IC in front of the driver and that's where people instinctively look and not the center of the dash. Is the prime visual space in/around the steering used for any info/controls? No.
2) Rear ward visibility is poor; but it's supposed to be a practical daily driver and you can't see properly out the back. Imagine putting a horizontal strip of tape through the rearview mirror, now adjust it however you want to see with that strip in place. And the C-pillar block vision as well.
3) Stability against wind from the sides; yes I understand it's a super slippery design coefficient of drag-wise going forward but the sides act like sails to catch the wind. Side drafts and even bigger vehicles passing at speed will send the Prius waivering down the road.

The biggest problem is not mechanical or even it's design flaws; the biggest problem is that it's a Prius. It get's zero respect to the point where it becomes a safety issue. Some people see a Prius and have to pass it, somehow they feel that it's holding them back even if it's flowing with traffic. So, you'll have to get accustomed to a lot of tailgating and overall harassment. If Toyota sold Corolla wagons and hatchbacks with the Prius drivetrain they'd have a winner. In the Prius, Toyota has is a great "statement-car" but not a great car...

Last edited:

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I regretted trading my JSW in for a Golf TSI in March, and then switched back to the Golf wagon on Friday. I got the terms I needed on both sides of the deal. I feel like I'm home again in a better car than the JSW. The Golf was fun and I liked it a lot. I have 3 kids, so I kept running into space issues and range with just a 13 gallon tank. VW is trying to move GSW inventory where I am so went back to the GSW in TDI with 6MT.