2015 Golf TDI sets new US mileage record - 81.17 mpg

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I live here too. The big issue isn't inconsiderate drivers... Although it adds quite a bit too road rage. The biggest problem is when 4 cars come together while one is 65mph in the right lane, another is passing at 70mph, a third drives up on this at 75mph who saw this a mine away but decided to tailgate anyways and then another rides up at 80mph... Decides to try and pull a dick move to cut off the one at 75mph.

It only gets worse if they're approaching an on ramp for the interstate.

Then everybody is pissed off and waiting for the chance to be an ******* to the next person that instigates.

The problem is congestion. It is what it is. Even if the law says you can be a jerk I don't know that it helps anything.

Oh... I forgot to mention all the out of staters'that bring their idea of good driving habits and VA interstates start to look like something from India.
I live across from you in Gloucester. I worn in NN. I loathe drving there daily. 95 to nova is worse. We use 17/301 as much as possible.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
17/301 is awesome! Easy to drive the speed limit and not enough traffic to have problems at those speeds. I don't mind the extra enforcement, either.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
We don't need "fuel prices like they are in europe, to force people to buy a fuel efficent car" (former) Secretay Chu, and his ilk can shove it when it comes to those wishes. Masochistic at best, to wish harm on your own economy for the sake of agendas, and forcing people to your idea of what's right, via economic leverage.

This pretty much sums up those of Chu's ilk and all politicians:

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it existss or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

The same goes for this global warming, oh wait no now it's climate change, no no no, now the latest is climate disruption.

Gimmie a break. (but that'll never happen).

All this political crap is whoredom at its' mightiest.

http://quotationspage.com/quotes/Ernest_Benn/

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GolfS, GTI 18s, H&R springs, Stage 2
Some years back I was driving in WA and OR . One ( or both ) had lots of signs - primarily for logging trucks , rv's and such methinks - that said if there were five vehicles behind you that you had to let them pass even if you were on a two lane road and needed to pull off onto the shoulder to allow it .

I thought it was actually pretty civilized / considerate .
It used to be that way here in CO without signs, just common courtesy, but those days are long gone. They passed a law about 5 years ago that says if you are on a multi lane highway with a speed limit of 65 or higher the left lane is to be used for passing only. The minimum fine was $65 plus costs last I heard, but everyone still lines up cars for miles in the left lane backing up traffic because they think they own the lane. The cops only care about the easy money speeding tickets, so they just watch them drive by 10 or 15 under the limit with 15 or 20 cars behind them.What good is a law that is not enforced? It is a shame that our society has gotten so bad that we have to laws for people to treat each other with respect.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
once got from r.i. to co in 28 hrs. lots of fuel 3 man team broke many speed laws burned lots of fuel. 3.0 bmw 320i. the frankenbeemer. then i grew up and bought grams rabbit for $1

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I tell you what, I love my ALH for its simplicity, but my '14 Passat w/ DSG is changing my mind. We broke 27k miles a week ago and had a couple of decent cross town trips for the weekend due to a wedding. We averaged 57mpg between the two trips (160 miles), mostly highway. It seems that there are about 3 really nice sweet spots where I can maintain upper 60s and lower 70s real-time on relatively flat surfaces with cruise control (46, 57, and 67... 72 isn't too mad either). My only regret is not waiting six months to get the '15 Passat... would probably see that sort of trip breaking 60mpg after a similar break-in period.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
We averaged 57mpg between the two trips (160 miles), mostly highway. It seems that there are about 3 really nice sweet spots where I can maintain upper 60s and lower 70s real-time on relatively flat surfaces with cruise control.
How are you calculating your MPGs and on what gallon, the US or Imperial gallon? And at what true speed is your cruise set to.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I think Alex is asking MFD vs pen & paper. And if MFD: (1) is it measured from cold start or after a reset along the way, and (2) was the MFD dialed-in or left at factory setting.

We know the MFD typically varies from the factory and usually optimistic -- by several MPG in some cases. My A5 Jetta is dialed-in, but still varies ~0.5 MPG between winter and summer. Exceeding 50 MPG/tank is not difficult for me in the summer, yet my lifetime average is only 47.

Also, we generally ask members to not post MPG readings if not from a cold start.

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I think Alex is asking MFD vs pen & paper. And if MFD: (1) is it measured from cold start or after a reset along the way, and (2) was the MFD dialed-in or left at factory setting.

We know the MFD typically varies from the factory and usually optimistic -- by several MPG in some cases. My A5 Jetta is dialed-in, but still varies ~0.5 MPG between winter and summer. Exceeding 50 MPG/tank is not difficult for me in the summer, yet my lifetime average is only 47.

Also, we generally ask members to not post MPG readings if not from a cold start.
Coming from a Standards Calibration Lab where measurements are taken, I always question the results and trust me, many are not very good at it.

I find it hard to believe that a given model of car can have such a wide range of efficiency which has me ask how the results were obtained.

I am sure I can get great numbers if I had a 30 MPH tail wind from full tank to empty....and going downhill all the way.

Get my drift?

Kalevi1Poeg

TDI
2015 Golf SE Manual TDI Mk7 Silk Blue, 20th Anniversary GTI Jazz Blue
81mpg?
Are they allowed to use draft vehicles? I would assume sitting behind a semi at 55mph for some portions of the trip would really help you get there.

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Yep, with 70% interstate per tank, drafting behind anything going 65+ and being light-footed off the highway is my formula. It's not for everyone.

To Alex's point, Chicagoland also has the advantage of flat terrain.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well I live in the real world where I drive short city trips and the odd long highway trip at or slightly above the speed limit. I don't draft another vehicle because the savings in fuel will never pay for the rear end of their car and the front end of mine. Who needs that stress.

Thats false advertizing as far as I am concerned because 99.99% of the buyers will never attain 81.17 MPG unless they have no life.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Drafting on a 14'6" box truck is almost 21 feet back according to the retired chief engineer Irv Culver at the skunkworks. He "wrote a paper on it".

Im not saying you need to be even that close to notice the effect in reduced drag maybe even as far back as 2 car lengths. And my golf will definitely out brake that truck except for extreme impact de-cel.

My technique is to sit 3 or so lengths back with the edge of the vehicle visible in his mirrors while talking to and getting permission to be back there on chicken band.

My $0.02 YMMV

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Yeah, but legal following distance is (roughly) a car length for ever 10 MPH. So at 65, you should be over 6 car lengths. To have any measurable improvement from drafting you must be legally tailgating. Not worth the potential cost of a ticket or accident (for which I would be labeled at fault) as the stress as 993er states above.

And I've been a ham radio operator for far too many years to use chicken band any more. Those were my high school years in the early 70s :)

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
The 70s and 80s were the good ole days. My high school actually had drivers ed classes with the 2nd steering wheel and second brake pedal for the instructor.

My neighborhood now has a deer problem, they're cute but not when you have to dodge one at 40mph.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
We have the toll road here with an 85 mph speed limit. We have had trouble with herds of wild boar running across the toll road at night and people colliding with them. Dodge those at 85 mph!

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Herds of wild boar, lol I guess they're trying to make the bacon at the toll booth and bringing new meaning to the term "pigging out".

85 wow that's fast ! No wonder you're at 37.9 mpgs, I thought 39 was bad enough with my lead foot. Living la vida loca.

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Most of us with VW 2.0L or lower TDI vehicles can do this. I just did the math.

I just did the math. If you drive for 16 days, 2 people.. each taking shifts at driving / sleeping, taking three 1hr breaks per day to eat and bio break you can achieve the mileage they did in 16 days with an average speed of 25.4 mph. I think they took more breaks and possibly averaged 35mph. My VW TDI averages 56mpg when I run premium diesel (cetane of 47 or greater) and keep my speed down around 45mph on back roads.
If I can get 6th gear and average 1.2k rpms the mpg is incredible. winding country roads is where I get the most mpg.
On the highway cruising at 80mph in 6th gear @2krpms and no traffic I can get 47 - 49 mpg but it's all in the cetane. If I have regular low sulphur diesel I get 39 - 41mpg. It has to be premium diesel. premium diesel doesn't cost more either.
I find 47.5 cetane diesel at Irving and some shell stations. If it's the good stuff you will notice an increase in mpg.

I wish they would publish the route they took.

It's great they are getting the word out about how efficient a TDI is but the article should be more clear. The route, average mph, etc.

I plan on driving cross country from the east to the west, then back with my TDI.
I plan on using a northern route when going west, and a southern route going east.
Hopefully next summer.

Driving slow for 16 days will drive me out of my mind!!! I'd rather be cruising along.

Volkswagen Golf TDI Sets MPG Record Across 48 Contiguous States

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...rd-across-48-contiguous-states/#ixzz3fJuMKiaz

81.17mpg average driving across all 48 contiguous states.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
My guess is they did it in the late shift when there's less traffic and definitely stayed off the highway. It's all in the foot, gotta keep it slow.

They probably slept in the day and avoided rush hours but the route had to have few lights or stop signs.

I annoy the heck out of people behind me when I coast to the light rather than brake hard and conserve brake pads and tires this way.

There may be something about them using Shell as I just heard that and Exxon Mobil have good Cetane content.

50mpgs is easy with these TDI's, you just annoy the heck out of Bubba and Billy Bob on the big rigs. Better get out of their way, those are the kings of the road, not SUVs or CUVs.

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Late night .. but probably backroads. <45mph

I haven't had stellar mpg results with Exxon Mobil. It was just slightly above the EPA estimate. Shell and Irving have been the best so far for me. Irving being the best.

I find myself going on more road trips with this car.

I've completed a 580 mile road trip on 12 gallons of fuel. And that's driving a little above the speed limit. Next road trip is to the White Mountains NH with the Mrs. Columbus Day weekend.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I just did the math. If you drive for 16 days, 2 people.. each taking shifts at driving / sleeping, taking three 1hr breaks per day to eat and bio break you can achieve the mileage they did in 16 days with an average speed of 25.4 mph. I think they took more breaks and possibly averaged 35mph. My VW TDI averages 56mpg when I run premium diesel (cetane of 47 or greater) and keep my speed down around 45mph on back roads.
If I can get 6th gear and average 1.2k rpms the mpg is incredible. winding country roads is where I get the most mpg.
On the highway cruising at 80mph in 6th gear @2krpms and no traffic I can get 47 - 49 mpg but it's all in the cetane. If I have regular low sulphur diesel I get 39 - 41mpg. It has to be premium diesel. premium diesel doesn't cost more either.
I find 47.5 cetane diesel at Irving and some shell stations. If it's the good stuff you will notice an increase in mpg.

I wish they would publish the route they took.

It's great they are getting the word out about how efficient a TDI is but the article should be more clear. The route, average mph, etc.

I plan on driving cross country from the east to the west, then back with my TDI.
I plan on using a northern route when going west, and a southern route going east.
Hopefully next summer.

Driving slow for 16 days will drive me out of my mind!!! I'd rather be cruising along.
There is no such thing as "premium" diesel in the US as there is no standard defined for it. Any station can call anything they sell "premium" if they want to. You can put a pinch of fried chicken fat in and call it "premium" diesel. How do you know what the cetane rating is of the fuel you are buying? All most all of the pumps I have seen post nothing or the required "minimum" 40 cetane, no matter what it actually is. Some have posted higher and when called on it were forced to roll back to the usual minimum 40 cetane statement or removed it altogether. I have read of a few places that actually have documentation that shows what their diesel really is, but they are very few. There are a few threads here on stations that were called on their selling of "premium" fuel (Shell was one IIRC) and had to remove the signs.

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
www.cenex.com/fuels/cenex-roadmaster-xl
Some tdi engines can take advantage of the delayed detonation of high certain fuel, others can't. I have only owned my TDI since may. I noticed early on that not all diesel yielded the same mpg under the same driving conditions so I.started to compile a list so I can avoid low mpg fuel. I also asked each station the cetane rating of their fuel. Not all stations knew what I was asking. Some Mobil and shell stations in MA and RI are actually selling b5 as low sulphur diesel and have the pumps that have high cetane labeled premium diesel (shell only)
So far my max mpg is with Irving Diesel.
I would not make this up.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
B5 can be sold as ULSD. All it has to do is meet the lower sulfer requirement. B5 or B20 actually makes no difference in that regard. I am not saying you are lying, but there is no standard for premium diesel fuel. Anyone can call it that if they want. That page you referenced is comparing to untreated #2 diesel fuel to theirs. Untreated #2 diesel is straight from the pipeline and is not sold commercially at any pump without additives being added. If they have paperwork backing up their numbers, they have diesel fuel with good numbers. But it still can't be premium because it isn't defined. Kind of like me saying I sell super golly fantastic fuel. It really means nothing because their is no definition as to what that actually means. Keep using it though as it looks like very good fuel, at least from their advertising and your experience.

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
This is why I am compiling a list of what refilling stations sell the fuel that my TDI gets the max mpg. You are correct there's no standard. Diesel falls into a "Forest Gump" category of fuel. You never know what you are gonna get. There is less energy in Biodiesel blends.
less mpg. So far the list I am compiling indicates that if you have an engine that runs optimally on high cetane then you should run that instead of biodiesel sin e.the mpg is very good. I will post.my.dashboard shots that show 50+ Mpg with close to 600 miles on the odometer and a little less than 1/4 of fuel left.

I Cant get the same mpg with b20, b5, or diesel with a certain of 40

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The energy difference in small percentage bio mix is negligible and the bio greatly improves the lubricity, which is why I use it. Our fuel is supposed to be CARB compliant with a higher than normal cetane than minimum standards. I buy the cheapest fuel I can find. That was $2.14 the other day. Ran fine. I don't try to get every mpg out of my fuel, I just drive. I keep more than one car on hand usually. I currently have a 2002 Honda Civic EX coupe. When gas is cheap I drive it. When diesel is cheap I drive the Passat. For my commute any way. My 1935 restored flathead V8 gets 8 mpg. But lots of thumbs up wherever I go.

or my other 1936 coupe:

Last edited:

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
There's no difference in price for ULSD or Premium Diesel pricing.

My last fill at Irving was $2.24/gal and that was for Premium Diesel.

My vehicle gets only 37mpg with B5 so that's why I don't run it.

Irving.. even if I'm stuck in traffic for 4 minutes/day during my 18 miles (one way) commute I get 44mpg. B5.. forget about it mpg drops big time.

Don't get me wrong.. I wish there wasn't much difference between diesel and B5 or B20
Maybe the blend is different in New England.

Here's my TDI :

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Those were the times to live in America. Much simpler times, nice cars man.

We have evolved to the hybrid and electric car age. Always nice to see an ole punch buggy !