2015 Golf TDI sets new US mileage record - 81.17 mpg

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
This is great news and hopefully will quiet down all the people that feel the alh's mileage can't be beat (I had a mechanic even tell me this).

(sits and waits for the 1.9L fanboys to arrive :rolleyes:)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I strongly suspect that if you took an ALH MK4 (in good condition) and gave it to the same hypermilers to drive the same route, it would get even better numbers. However, this does not detract from the fact that they did get very impressive numbers in this test. Comparing a 2002 car and engine to a 2015 car and engine is not entirely a fair competition. The newer car is bigger and heavier plus you have all of the emissions equipment.

Have Fun!

Don

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Even that wouldn't matter as this kind of thing is only for the record books. Real life will never see those numbers. I find it more amazing that my car gets the economy it does! That won't make Guinness though.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
16 days, over 8200 miles with a little over 101 gallons in 48 states !

Amazing feat indicates what these machines are capable of.

That is insane, takes a pretty light foot to achieve that !

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The Golf was also outfitted with a special wrap touting the car’s North American Car of the Year award and Volkswagen of America’s 60th Anniversary.
I was thinking similarly to tomo before seeing his post. Everyone got a nice, long look at the fancy graphics touting the 'car of the year', as it 'pierced-off' everyone around them.....behind them.....

Regarding the ALH vs. CR.....

Remember that the ALH is a mechanical pump that gives a certain volume of fuel every combustion event. The CR is a piezo injector that can vary the amount of fuel.

They often say that 45mpg is where you get your best mileage. I'm not so sure on my CR. I have driven home from work at 55mph and had my average fuel economy meter showing, say, 48mpg. And then I get to a slow 25/30mph section for a few miles, and see my mileage go UP over 50mpg. This is because the CR is able to run on a minuscule amount of fuel going that slowly. The ALH can't do that. I wouldn't write off the CR so quickly.

And they got 81mpg with regens and a clean tailpipe, too.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The commonly espoused practices of many hypermilers is actually counter productive for diesel powered cars.
It's not necessary drive in those ways to get very good fuel economy.

However, I haven't averaged 80+ mpg for an appreciable distance either.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Remember that the ALH is a mechanical pump that gives a certain volume of fuel every combustion event. The CR is a piezo injector that can vary the amount of fuel.

...This is because the CR is able to run on a minuscule amount of fuel going that slowly. The ALH can't do that.
:confused:
I assure you that the VE pumps can indeed vary fuel delivery from zero to maximum displacement.
Now at zero there is techniclly no combustion event as there is nothing to combust so on a purely hair splitting point you are correct that there is some fuel injected when there is an event in which fuel is combusted, but come on....:rolleyes:

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
And the route was downhill all the way

re: I hate a Hypermiler......I guarantee that the drive was unsafe and Dangerous...

The photos only show the front view of that car.

On the back was a big sign saying:

HONK REPEATEDLY IF
YOU LOVE HYPERMILERS
(then get over it -
you can pass us
... eventually)

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
:confused:
I assure you that the VE pumps can indeed vary fuel delivery from zero to maximum displacement.
O.K., you're right. :) I guess I had in mind the IQ at idle, which is a set quantity.

Still, with the piezo injectors (something like 5 shots per combustion event), I believe our CR TDIs run a lot leaner at idle or low throttle than the VE's. And these guys went across the country basically on fumes, except for the occasional squirt going uphill.

I wish VW hadn't upsized from 1.9L to 2.0L, but had actually given us 1.8L and maybe 125hp/200ftlb. Marketing wouldn't have let them, I'm sure.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Being in America we take a lot for granted. Politics and business keep the engines big and gas guzzlers, whereas in Europe cost of fuel makes diesels necessary.

Too many gas guzzlers on the road.

Last edited:

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
actually, consumer demand keeps the engine here what they are.

While some want a 1.6 / 1.2 TDI, Im good with the 2.0.

As for "gas guzzlers" and politics, there are already regulations in place for the percentage of "efficient" vehicles a maker must have in their line.

Saying that there are "too many gas guzzlers on the road" is somewhat of a provocative statement. We live in a free market, and the government does not decide (within reason) what we are allowed to buy with regards to a vehicle.

Blaming it on "politics and business" is hyperbole. Businesses sell what people buy. We are fortunate to have cheap fuel here. If people want to commute 30 miles one way in a truck that gets 15 mpg, thats their business. Even if it is stupid.

We don't need "fuel prices like they are in europe, to force people to buy a fuel efficent car" (former) Secretay Chu, and his ilk can shove it when it comes to those wishes. Masochistic at best, to wish harm on your own economy for the sake of agendas, and forcing people to your idea of what's right, via economic leverage.

Borsig

TDI
I hate a Hypermiler......I guarantee that the drive was unsafe and Dangerous....
This. So much this. Also - ILLEGAL.

I'll crosspost my thoughts from the other thread in the MKVII forum :

There's a guy I occasionally run into on my way to work. He drives one of those ugly hondas with the wierd rear wheel fender covers. insight is it?

Anyway he has a bumper sticker "don't tailgate me, I'm hypermiling".....

As he does ~40 in a single lane 55. not kidding. The man is doing 15 under.

He gets his tailgate crawled on a constant basis. About a month ago there were 5-6 cars stuck behind him. At least 3 were blowing the horn. Finally people stated going over the double yellow and passing him. He could care less.

Real pieces of work these people who do this. All fun and games till somone gets their prius crushed by some contractor in a 2500HD late for his job and out of patience.

I personally give him and his like no quarter.

From the virginia statute:
§ 46.2-877. Minimum speed limits.
No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

Also - for the left lane huggers out there when in Virginia
§ 46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to overtaking vehicles on divided highways.
It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so.

When you get flashed - Dont just stare at me in the rearview. Move over. It's the law.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
The 2009 Jetta TDI engine can easily get 50mpgs but you have to keep it around 50, I would never do less than 50, true it is illegal and unsafe and uncourteous. The slower drivers like those in the Insights or Prii are squeezing the dollar.
Those 2 drivers in the above hyper miler article probably did it this way:
They probably only drove on the overnight shifts starting around 8pm to 6am so that's 10 hours per day with no days off. Less drivers on the road but more police.
They probably slept in the day and did nothing 6am to 8pm unless they were in states were there's no cities or nine to fivers.
They took back roads where speed limits are 40 to 50 and stayed off the highway, VW would not condone the drive if it were unsafe.
16 straight days. I would rather do that than go to work. One guy sleeps and the other drives and they buy a lot of strong coffee.
My guess is they alternated in 3 to 5 hour shifts depending on their energy level or previous sleep cycles. It can be done you just have to have a very light foot and use those tricks like tire inflation, minimal AC use, etc.
Sounds like a fun project. Hamburgers and pancakes, ice cream and coffee, that's the life.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I am in no way supporting a government in control of its population's spending. By all means if you want to buy the various SUVs or trucks, it is a free market. I'm just a little upset about burning all that fuel unnecessarily. Even SUV or truck owners keep a little economy car in their driveway..usually.

I remember when gas prices hovered near $5 a gallon, people then went to smaller cars like VW, but now that the price is $2.50 they go ahead and buy those SUVs. I realize I'm off topic so I'll go back to that Toyota going diesel thread or the VW Golf Sportwagen thread.

Lug_Nut

TDI
......the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so.

When you get flashed - Dont just stare at me in the rearview. Move over. It's the law.
Lawyers love technicalities.
If you haven't passed me yet, then I'm not an "overtaken vehicle".
You may have gained on me, but now you're matching my speed and not "overtaking".
Since my vehicle is by definition not being overtaken, and additionally you in yours are not overtaking, there is no obligation for me to more to the right.

And whose definition of "safely" is in use?

See?

There are just three classifications for drivers:
Me, going exactly as fast as I want to go.
"hypermilers" in front of me going slower, however much, than I want to go.
Tailgaters behind me trying to go faster than I want to go.

The solution is simple: All of you drive the way I want you to when I'm on the road. You should know that by now.

Borsig

TDI
Tell that to the trooper, not me. You'll get pulled WAY quicker on I 95 for doing 50, than you will doing 80. (Limit is 70.).

I wouldnt argue with a VA state trooper. There was actually a symposium on this revently in the fredricksburg news paper. They were interviewing the local VSP batallion SGT.

Their take is that slow drivers on 95 have been the cause of more accidents, becasue of the pace of the highway. One specific interview question was related to the slow drive going, say 60, and the fast driver going say, 80.

The response? We all know that often the flow of traffic on I 95 in the FB corridor is uaually around 75-80 mph. As troopers, we simply don't have the resources to pull people over doing 75-80 mph. There's also the "unwritten 5 mph grace zone". If the flow is 75, how can you pull someone over for being in the known flow? It becomes a legal ground issue as well.

The problem comes when the flow is 75, and someone wants to do 55. They are the odd driver out, at that pace, and they become a hazard. the grace zone goes both ways, and so does the excessive deviation from said flow. Saftey issues come from excessive deviation. People who refuse to yield, encourage aggressive maneuvers. We are going to start tickteting drivers whom ride in the left lane, are not going with the flow, and disrupting traffic.

A direct exceprt, with quote from from VSP Sgt F.L. Tyler, in an article in the fredricksburg freelance star (local paper):

In other words, said Tyler, if you're in the left lane of a divided highway and going down the road, even with a vehicle to your right, the law requires that you give way and let a vehicle behind you pass. Specifically, he said, if you're in that situation and a vehicle behind you signals its intention to pass, by either honking a horn or flashing its lights, you are required to move to the right as soon as it's safe, and allow the signaling vehicle to pass.

Failure to do so is a violation of the law, he said. Tyler said that applies even if the vehicle trying to pass is speeding, following too closely or operating in any other reckless manner. "Leave it up to police officers to deal with any violations they might be committing. We'll handle that," he said. "But the law still requires you to move to the right and let them pass."

This is a HUGE issue here. And its almost ALWAYS the same MO / types doing it. They are cracking down on it too.

FYI - Here's an MIT study page on the laws, state by state:
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Driving culture varies by region, buy in Virginia, from HR to NoVa, less and less quarter is being given.

Lawyers love technicalities.
If you haven't passed me yet, then I'm not an "overtaken vehicle".
You may have gained on me, but now you're matching my speed and not "overtaking".
Since my vehicle is by definition not being overtaken, and additionally you in yours are not overtaking, there is no obligation for me to more to the right.

And whose definition of "safely" is in use?

See?

There are just three classifications for drivers:
Me, going exactly as fast as I want to go.
"hypermilers" in front of me going slower, however much, than I want to go.
Tailgaters behind me trying to go faster than I want to go.

The solution is simple: All of you drive the way I want you to when I'm on the road. You should know that by now.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
I don't see anything in the excerpt about driving slow in the right lane, just pointing out that the left lane is for overtaking only?

Borsig

TDI
Correct. The laws deal with impeding traffic.

Still, going excessively slow on an interstate in va will get you pulled, no matter what lane you are in. Troopers discretion.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
actually, consumer demand keeps the engine here what they are.

While some want a 1.6 / 1.2 TDI, Im good with the 2.0.

As for "gas guzzlers" and politics, there are already regulations in place for the percentage of "efficient" vehicles a maker must have in their line.

Saying that there are "too many gas guzzlers on the road" is somewhat of a provocative statement. We live in a free market, and the government does not decide (within reason) what we are allowed to buy with regards to a vehicle.

Blaming it on "politics and business" is hyperbole. Businesses sell what people buy. We are fortunate to have cheap fuel here. If people want to commute 30 miles one way in a truck that gets 15 mpg, thats their business. Even if it is stupid.

We don't need "fuel prices like they are in europe, to force people to buy a fuel efficent car" (former) Secretay Chu, and his ilk can shove it when it comes to those wishes. Masochistic at best, to wish harm on your own economy for the sake of agendas, and forcing people to your idea of what's right, via economic leverage.
well said

D_Bill

Veteran Member
TDI
old_v1 - 01 jetta / old_v2 02 golf / new 13 jsw-6sp
overtaking

Some years back I was driving in WA and OR . One ( or both ) had lots of signs - primarily for logging trucks , rv's and such methinks - that said if there were five vehicles behind you that you had to let them pass even if you were on a two lane road and needed to pull off onto the shoulder to allow it .

I thought it was actually pretty civilized / considerate .

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Some years back I was driving in WA and OR . One ( or both ) had lots of signs - primarily for logging trucks , rv's and such methinks - that said if there were five vehicles behind you that you had to let them pass even if you were on a two lane road and needed to pull off onto the shoulder to allow it .

I thought it was actually pretty civilized / considerate .
Yeah, we have the law and the signs. Doesn't mean they are followed all the time :p

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I am guilty of doing the speed limit (not 10-15 over like many drivers). I do
find a big difference driving 55 Vs. 75.... I never go under speed limit....
I'd like to know what route they took and speeds they drove. The link only
says "slow going" to achieve this mileage. Clearly freeway has min speeds,
typically no less than 10 under the lowest posted speed... typically 45.

Here is a better link with video of tips from the driver: http://media.vw.com/release/1017/

His top three tips are pretty good, safe and reasonable:
-Do the speed limit
-Don't race to red lights
-Hills or overpasses (not cruise control) keep accelerator pedal same position,
allowing car to slow going up and speed up on backside. Yes that is OK with a
small hill.

Of course they did more than this, and I am sure they went slower than speed limit,
coasted, had the tire at max pressure.... may be had some things removed to lighten
the car, spare tire, jack.... you name it, not bolted down removed. They mention some
special tires. The MAIN REASON for this is to SELL CARS.... clearly advertising....
There is going to be some disappointed consumers who by the car and can't break
40 mpg based on when, where and how they drive.

Last edited:

Borsig

TDI
Likely they drove at off hours to avoid traffic and getting run over. Do 45 mph on I95 and see where that ends you. Need a push? You'll be getting one.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I hear you man, I kept it at 55-60 on a major highway in my area today as an experiment. I was within the limit, not under. My 126 mile drive in about 2 hours and 15 minutes yielded 45mpgs going uphill though from central Jersey to the Poconos. The semi trucks were mad at me. Several passed me in threatening maneuvers by being inches from my back bumper. I respect them but they think they own the road.
I'm sure I was called every name in the book all to save 5mpgs over my usual 39 to 40 mpgs just not worth the risk so I drove 65 and felt a lot safer towards the end of the drive. Saving pennies versus saving my life, my experiment proved what I expected. The only way to do the hyper miling is on the overnight shift but even then, too much police.

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I got a hand-figured MPG of 60 on a cross country trip last year in my 2011 VW Golf TDI
- 6 speed manual. Its a 2-door (so much better looking than 4-door) and no sunroof. Its white.
Yes, it is the "Ultimate Machine."

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
Correct. The laws deal with impeding traffic.

Still, going excessively slow on an interstate in va will get you pulled, no matter what lane you are in. Troopers discretion.

I live here too. The big issue isn't inconsiderate drivers... Although it adds quite a bit too road rage. The biggest problem is when 4 cars come together while one is 65mph in the right lane, another is passing at 70mph, a third drives up on this at 75mph who saw this a mine away but decided to tailgate anyways and then another rides up at 80mph... Decides to try and pull a dick move to cut off the one at 75mph.

It only gets worse if they're approaching an on ramp for the interstate.

Then everybody is pissed off and waiting for the chance to be an ******* to the next person that instigates.

The problem is congestion. It is what it is. Even if the law says you can be a jerk I don't know that it helps anything.

Oh... I forgot to mention all the out of staters'that bring their idea of good driving habits and VA interstates start to look like something from India.