2015 Golf TDI SEL compass & passenger seatbelt light problems

gsollitt

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I have a 2015 Golf TDI SEL that I purchased a little over a year ago. I love it, but I noticed a strange problem the past few days; I'm not sure if they're related. For some reason, regardless of whatever direction I'm traveling in, the compass always reads North. And, the passenger seatbelt light keeps randomly coming on and chiming while I'm driving, despite the passenger seat being empty.

I saw on a thread for other VW years & models that the compass sometimes need calibration - I'm going to try that, but wondering if anyone has experienced the two problems together and if they're related.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Do you have your phone or a laptop resting on the passenger seat?

I’ve noticed any charged gadget will usually trigger the passenger sensor.

As for the compass, recalibration might work if the Mk7’s have a compass module. But having an SEL with Nav, I could swear the car uses GPS to determine direction.

Is your navigation screen’s location and orientation accurate when driving around?

gsollitt

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Hmm, interesting. I do actually always have my laptop on the passenger seat when this happens. Perhaps that's connected.

I do have nav but my dealership never provided me with the navigation SD card, so it's not actually hooked up. (I've been meaning to purchase one, but in the meantime have just been using Google Maps on my phone.) Perhaps that's why the compass is so messed up -- because it's not connected to nav?

417mk7GOLF

TDI
2015 vw golf tdi sel
I also suffer from the same thing, my compass is stuck on N and I also don't have a nav sd card, did you ever find a solution?