2015 Golf TDI S: $21,995

DubmyRUCA

TDI
12' 4dr Golf TDI
Didn't see anyone else post this yet, i may have missed this news before and haven't read though this whole press release yet but the base TDI is now 3k cheaper.
2015 Golf

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
1 mpg increase in fuel economy over the previous model on the TDI? You gotta be kidding me. I was expecting 48 mpg on highway.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
1 mpg increase in fuel economy over the previous model on the TDI? You gotta be kidding me. I was expecting 48 mpg on highway.
I don't believe the EPA numbers for diesels. The 2012 Passat DSG was listed at 30/40 and we're averaging almost 42 over 55,000 miles.

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I honestly can't stand pleatherette. I don't understand why VW thinks this is some kind of an upgrade over cloth seats.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
it is easier to clean the non cloth seats and in NJ the heated seats are a god send in the winter, not sure if the cloths are heated.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't believe the EPA numbers for diesels. The 2012 Passat DSG was listed at 30/40 and we're averaging almost 42 over 55,000 miles.
Same has been true for my Golf with the older engine. EPA is 30/42, I've averaged 45 over 21K. If we expect the same from the new car then it would still net a 1 MPG improvement. Guess the big reason to go to Urea on the A platform (or now MBQ) just went away.

Pricing does look better, but it appears they did the same thing with the Golf as with the Value Edition Jetta TDI this year. Good idea, but a car with comparable equipment to the previous car seems to be similarly priced. Except the sunroof is std. in the SE which was never true in the MKVI.

And the cloth seats on my base '12 Golf are heated. At least the controls are there: I've never turned them on. I hate heated seats.

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
I have no problem with that. Works fine on my other TDIs, even on the track. Donut spare I don't like so much.
Eh, my Ex's Mk4 GTI that I tracked, the rear would slide out really easily through tight S turns. Just prefer independent suspension.

I'm not gonna buy a mk7 TDI anyway, going for the R or new S3.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
No efficiency advantage at all for the diesel based on $3.50 RUG vs. $4.00 D2. And only 15% better torque. My next Golf will likely be back to gas.

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
No efficiency advantage??? The average gas vehicle gets about 400 miles to a tank and costs 43.75 for 12.5 gallons, and the I get about 530 miles to a tank and it costs me about $50 for 13.5 gallons.

Gas= 43.75/400= 10.9 cents per mile gas at $3.50/gal 32mpg I don't see many gassers go over 400 miles.
Diesel= 51.30/530= 9.6 cents per mile D2 at $3.80/gal my avg is 39.8mpg

So, also take the fact that there is no real tune up for a diesel which is a cost savings, and that diesels just last longer. Don't forget more power per cost.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Torsen rear beam. :(
Cost & space saving though! :p
But yeah I agree completely. That's a bit of a deal breaker for me since I've driven a few TRB cars and frankly they didn't handle that well... Maybe zee Germans will work their magic :cool:

That said I'm keeping my mkvi for quite some time.:cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Eh, my Ex's Mk4 GTI that I tracked, the rear would slide out really easily through tight S turns. Just prefer independent suspension.
All about setup. With the right springs and dampers it works fine. I agree it's a step back, just not a big deal in daily use.

I am surprised by the lack of FE increase. I have been waiting for an EA288 Jetta Sedan but if the FE is only marginally better than the current engine a 2.0 or 1.8T might be a better choice. Of course I'll keep the Golf regardless.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I'm specifically using the specs for the Golf 7 provided and the real-world prices I see here in central NJ.

$3.50 RUG = 37 miles (HWY) = $0.0946/mile
$4.00 D2 = 42 miles (HWY) = $0.0952/mile

Of course there are a lot of variables:

The EPA figures notoriously weight toward gas.

Volkswagen lowered the price on the TDI while raising the price of the TSI so the diesel engine is now only exactly $1000 more.

Longevity? Maybe the engine. But what about the other systems that seem to go well before the engine will? Systems that seem especially finicky for clean diesels?

Both Golfs need a lot more real-world long-term testing to tell ultimately what will be the better value. There's no way I'd be the guinea pig for a 2015, though, so for me the point is moot. The earliest I'd jump is 2017. But if I had to trade in now, based on the paper specs and my experience with my Golf 6, diesel is no longer the obvious choice.

Last edited:

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
Man they snuck that one in their about the torsen beam on the TDI. Thats really to bad, Im hoping the JSW TDI doesn't suffer the same fate. Hopefully the extra rear space leaves room.

Hopefully the Golf will be using a trailing arm torsion beam vs a straight axle on the 11-13 Jettas. If its trailing arm then it should hold up pretty well, esp if VW gets it right

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The AWD JSW (or 4-motion Golf) I saw in NYC had true IRS. But I don't know what the front drive version will have. I read that VW is using the beam/trailing arm axle on cars up to a certain power level, and IRS above that. Don't know where the TDI falls on that spectrum. Of course the beam axle won't work with 4-motion.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I'll pass on such a complicated first year engine that's coming from a first year assembly line. That's part supplier is also first year....

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
My JSW is averaging 42 and the EPA said I'd only get 39 hwy. I drive mostly in a small city. Lots of stops but also lots of easy-going roads. I've gotten 56 mpg on a 1.5 hr trip to a nearby town!

Last edited:

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
No more Dynaudio? Man that sucks. The Dynaudio setup in my Golf sounds fantastic, and that's with the EQ flat listening to uncompressed reference tracks.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
I honestly can't stand pleatherette. I don't understand why VW thinks this is some kind of an upgrade over cloth seats.

It's great material for a family car. It looks good, too.

Cloth is best for a performance oriented car. In a fam ride leatherette is just about perfect.