2015 Golf TDI long crank first start of the day

Rochbry

TDI
2013 Audi a3 TDI
What Rochbry showed is crank sensor and it is a bit difficult to get to and replace. Still don't know if the part I posted is reliable or not? What do you think?
It is a huge pita to get to on the CBEA. Other engines it's not so bad. Mine broke when being removed and tranny had to come out and a new rear seal put in, as that's what the sensor attaches to. I did the flywheel at the same time as it was ready to change. Needless to say, it was an expensive repair.

DFDJ

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagon SEL, 01 Jetta Baltic Green Sold at 277,500 mi,
I wonder if EXP means export? Also notice that there are 3 lines (including EXP) are XXX'd out. You could check the meaning with the dealer who sold you the part. I've never heard of an auto part having an expiration date, it's not like a package of food, but you never know.

My car has been starting right up again now that weather is again cold. Probably won't be able to trouble-shoot till spring, but still wondering if there is a way to adjust the temp at which the glo plugs turn on using a vag-com.

radiator

TDI
1.6 clha
Yep no idea how to prolong preheating glow plugs with vcds. And no f**king idea why camshaft sensor is slow to run. I cannnot find any hints on the Internet. Fuel pressure and engine rmps are in a range but camshat positioning sensor shows zero while starting the engine and after a few seconds starts to response. Crasher (forum admin) refers to starer as the couse of the problem. No errors on vcds
This is accualy not the longest crank I have been struggling with. When starting the engine camshaft shows zero, engine won't start and when it begins to start up it goes from zero to above values. What couses slow response? Don't know. New sensor fitted still the same.

Rochbry

TDI
2013 Audi a3 TDI
Yep no idea how to prolong preheating glow plugs with vcds. And no f**king idea why camshaft sensor is slow to run. I cannnot find any hints on the Internet. Fuel pressure and engine rmps are in a range but camshat positioning sensor shows zero while starting the engine and after a few seconds starts to response. Crasher (forum admin) refers to starer as the couse of the problem. No errors on vcds
This is accualy not the longest crank I have been struggling with. When starting the engine camshaft shows zero, engine won't start and when it begins to start up it goes from zero to above values. What couses slow response? Don't know. New sensor fitted still the same.
Have you considered the lift pump?
You can prime it with vcds and see if that gives you a start.

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
Hello, my León 2014 1.6 clha had this same problem with only 20.000milles.

Between 2016 and 2018 I did all this with no solución:

- run with obd11 the tank pump several times before cranck with no benefits. So for me is not the problem. It sound perfect, and If It had a problem, running many times would help.

- run heaters before cranck

- I did a remap and ask the chiptuner to get more fuel in cold start

- I installed a new fuel backstop valve between fuel filter and CR pump, as It has done in old Cars..

I sold the car years ago,

but recently bought one just like it with 120.000milles, It has the same problem and getting worse.

I have tryed obd11 actívate pump and heaters before cranck, and have It all night without fuel cap as I read here but no good news

It is really desperate

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
When its very cold 0-10° C and It stays all night in the street, It crancks perfect.

But inside my house, It has warm temperatures and always bad crank. Very weird

radiator

TDI
1.6 clha
Tom
The same symptoms considering 'wormer' temp above 15 C. Lower than 15 no problem.
Rochbry
I did try the trick. One was fine the next day no luck. And the main problem is that it happens only on first start. No more tries during the day as it will not rehappen. I dont wanna replace any parts in blind (hpfp, lpfp etc.). One thing I have noticed recently is that when I see long crank is just 'happening' I press accelerator and it starts. But looking on my vcds scans fuel pressure is fine. On a different forum people said (uppon my videos scans) fuel was fine. One guy said that he replaced fuel returning valve (no idea if my english translation is correct) part no.
5Q0127242B and the problem gone away. This will probably be replaced in near future as it can be bought from nearly new broken car and is cheap. No more clues whatsoever.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 wagon BEW; 2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA
My symptoms progressed to almost a constant crappy idle. Changed the CPS and now the car is happy, like new

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI

Crank position sensor. DIY. Part 04L 906 433B. This is in a 2015 CRUA engine: remove the oil filter -no need to drain all the oil as the filter attaches higher than the oil pan-, also undo a bracket that prevents a good angle, 4mm allen key and that is it

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Thanks, I have a 2015 CRUA. Just changed the oil Saturday:( My long crank comes and goes, seems worse when sitting a day or two. Is the new sensor plug and play or do I need VCDS or OBD eleven?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I have a 2015 CRUA. Just changed the oil Saturday:( My long crank comes and goes, seems worse when sitting a day or two. Is the new sensor plug and play or do I need VCDS or OBD eleven?
Plug and play. I bought mine from myvwpart.com which is a dealer in Wisconsin

radiator

TDI
1.6 clha
@
pedroYUL

Did you have errors on vcds? My longer cranks appear above 15 celcius below no problem existing. Changed camshaft sensor, slightly better (happens less freaquently but still) no idea what to diagnose apart from the motor starter.
To change crank sensor is not that easy, that what my mechanic said.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
@
pedroYUL

Did you have errors on vcds? My longer cranks appear above 15 celcius below no problem existing. Changed camshaft sensor, slightly better (happens less freaquently but still) no idea what to diagnose apart from the motor starter.
To change crank sensor is not that easy, that what my mechanic said.
No errors at all stored. @Mike_04GolfTDI did log some faults that you can only catch while it happens, nothing really gets flagged in the ECU.

Which engine code do you have? I also changed the CPS in an older BRM which was not that bad either, that one was from the top, and I believe the oil filter canister and cooler needed to come out.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI

Seems to be the same as in the CRUA, almost behind the oil filter

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I changed the CPS in my CVCA today, same as CRUA with a bit more space in the Passat.

Something I do recommend is to use a mirror, I used my cellphone camera to help me aim the Allen key down the access hole

Rochbry

TDI
2013 Audi a3 TDI
I changed the CPS in my CVCA today, same as CRUA with a bit more space in the Passat.

Something I do recommend is to use a mirror, I used my cellphone camera to help me aim the Allen key down the access hole
I noticed a couple of crappy starts after the changeover. Let us know if the same happens to you.
I hope this cures your issue.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed a couple of crappy starts after the changeover. Let us know if the same happens to you.
I hope this cures your issue.
One crappy start on the CRUA, but perfect since. CVCA was flawless right away