2015 Golf TDI long crank first start of the day

GolfSW98

TDI
2015 GSW TDI
I've had a couple of long cranks after long drives; maybe it's not related, but I've found that when I do remove the fuel cap and then put it back on (after maybe a third-to-half of the fuel's been used), I don't have the issue. Whether this is some random correlation or causation... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This has got to be a contributor to some degree. I might order a new diesel fuel cap soon.
Is there a dedicated vent on the tank that may or may not be clogged?

I will add, I am 90%+ confident I never experienced this until getting my in tank lift pump replaced at the dealer under warranty.

Last edited:

radiator

TDI
1.6 clha
Golfsw
You mean fuel pump under the back seat or High pressure under the bonet?
I have noticed that when soot volume goes more or less to 19 20g golf has longer cranks. Just after dpf has burned normal crank whenever I start the engine. No idea why.

Last edited:

GolfSW98

TDI
2015 GSW TDI
Golfsw
You mean fuel pump under the back seat or High pressure under the bonet?
I have noticed that when soot volume goes more or less to 19 20g golf has longer cranks. Just after dpf has burned normal crank whenever I start the engine. No idea why.
Fuel pump under the back seat.

brakey

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Diagnosis Dan found this on a
2.0TDI EA288 engine in a golf.
My 2014 Jetta TDI has a CJAA Engine so it does not have variable valve timing like the Diagnois Dan video

brakey

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
You got a leaky/sticky vvt valve. Probably cause the oil on average is too dirty. Change your oil AND clean your vvt valve. Watch the below video...will save you a lot of pain and anguish.

That is a
2.0TDI EA288
Most of us have the CJAA so there is NO Variable Valve Timing

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
My 2015 CRUA has started this. 47,000 miles. I read the whole thread, will try the easy stuff first ie: fuel tank cap and I'll see if I can get it to preglow by keeping my foot off the brake for a few seconds (push button start). The battery is pretty new and the cranking speed is fast. Outside temps when I go to start are warm, around 70F. If it persists or gets worse I guess I'm looking at the VVT Valve.

radiator

TDI
1.6 clha
I have been on the thread for some time so far and as far as I know 20015 has a new VVT Valve fitted. It look as the new part on Dan's videos. One guy on golf7.com suggested to have a look at rpm under advanced measurements (vcds).

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I have been on the thread for some time so far and as far as I know 20015 has a new VVT Valve fitted. It look as the new part on Dan's videos. One guy on golf7.com suggested to have a look at rpm under advanced measurements (vcds).
I'll take a look at it. Meanwhile I need to go back through the thread and see what worked for which year/engine although it's confusing as some posters have multiple cars and don't say which one and most don't state engine code. Do you know what the minimum RPM at cranking should be?

radiator

TDI
1.6 clha
Member Crasher (form VW uk forum)says 'the minimum value is 280rpm'.
What I noticed on my engine (CLHA 2014) that when battery in the morning goes to 11.9 whatn turning the key, my golf (not always) has longer crank. When the voltage is 12,3 (during startup) nothings wrong happens.