2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just take it in and tell them you would like it done. No need to do anything else. Do it whenever you want. They are obligated to complete the fix. If for some reason they refuse, then you have a reason to contact VW or the settlement attorneys.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I bought a 2015 TDI Golf with Phase 1 done in 6/2018--- I have approx 25,000 miles on it.. I haven't heard anything from VW about Phase 2 fix--- should I call the dealer? or the VW settlement line?
So you don't have 2 stickers attached to the underside of the hood, near the window - just 1 sticker indicating Phase 1 completion only?

LeahPharmD

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon (Bio-diesel), 2012 Golf TDI (SOLD BACK)
So you don't have 2 stickers attached to the underside of the hood, near the window - just 1 sticker indicating Phase 1 completion only?

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure when I bought it they said the phase 2 still needed to be done...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The site doesn't tell you very much. Here is mine with Part 1 and Part 2A done.

2015 Beetle Coupe 2D TDI I4
Volkswagen Emissions Modification Programs
Vehicle (VIN) Included in Settlement: YES
Modification Approved by EPA and CARB: YES
Modification Completed for this Vehicle (VIN): PARTIAL
Vehicle has Extended Emissions Warranty: YES

Not much detail there.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Not a fan of my phase 2. Got it done at 60k miles. Had tons of issues where my dpf sensors melted, changed hpfp, fuel filter, diesel tank cleaned, wire harness changed, and other electrical issues at 70k miles.

80k miles I had my adblue tank replaced because it was throwing codes.

82k miles I started losing coolant. Heat stopped working. Heater core was shot. Had heater core replaced along with some hoses. Some engine coolant sensor started giving issues and was replaced. Coolant leak still not stopping. Took car to dealer every week for 6 weeks. Coolant leak never stopped and heat still hasn't worked even after heater core replacement.

86k miles now and took car back for 7th visit. EGR Cooler getting replaced, along with EGR temperature sensor, and heater core again. VWoA wants me to change thermostat, even though no codes are being thrown from it. They said that's the only way they can guarantee my coolant to stop leaking and heat to work again.

Car has been at dealer for 2 weeks + now and no idea what is going on because the communication is horrible. I love the way this car drives and the mpg's I get, but my car is a damn lemon that I'm stuck with. I wish they would just buy it back and crush the dang thing.

So far this year my car has been at the dealer for about 2.5-3 months because of emission issues. I squarely put the blame on phase 2. The first owner put 34.5k miles on the car, and car fax had no issues. I drove it up to 60k miles with no issues, but decided to get phase 2 done at that time. It still drove another 10k miles fine, but I think phase 2 at that point had taken it's toll and started having problems.

So many heater cores on 2015's are going bad, and there isn't even a recall on them. They aren't even covered under the emission warranty either. I bought this car because our 2010 had 0 mechanical issues before we sold it back at 150k miles, so I figured this was an no brainier with the awesome emission warranty. Heater core ended up costing me $900 and now they want me to change the thermostat and some plastic piece for $935. So many regrets buying this car. :mad::(

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
:rolleyes:Not to worry, you got $5100-ish...which makes EVERYTHING all right.:rolleyes:

That's the way some people in this forum have tried to bully others into getting the phase 2.

The fact is, no one knew for sure what bad effect the phase 2 "fix" was going to have, nor when the problems would start to crop up.

I'm sorry for the frustration you're experiencing...that's really awful.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
I thought the extended emissions warranty was updated to now include heater cores. Can anyone confirm before I go hunting for this info? I thought I received a notification from VW regarding this...

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I thought the extended emissions warranty was updated to now include heater cores. Can anyone confirm before I go hunting for this info? I thought I received a notification from VW regarding this...
Heater core replacement for the emissions extended warranty? No, the heater core in not included in the extended emissions warranty. It's not part of the emissions system, nor is it impacted by changes to the emissions system.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Heater core replacement for the emissions extended warranty? No, the heater core in not included in the extended emissions warranty. It's not part of the emissions system, nor is it impacted by changes to the emissions system.
I now have no heat. I also removed silica bag awhile back. Blocked off the grill completely & no heat still. Was hoping that I could get it fixed in conjunction with Phase 2. I guess I can scratch that idea.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
I now have no heat. I also removed silica bag awhile back. Blocked off the grill completely & no heat still. Was hoping that I could get it fixed in conjunction with Phase 2. I guess I can scratch that idea.
Did you have heat prior to removing the "silica" bag? Do you know why that bag was put into the coolant reservoir in the first place?

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL

It was not covered for me on my 2015. Some people have a recall on 2012-2014 MY's, but only certain vin numbers.

I'm fighting with VWoA to give me my money back since replacing heater core never fixed my heat issues. I don't know if anything was even wrong with it to begin with.

The dealer thinks the EGR cooler is burning the coolant, because they can't find any leaks in the engine or heater core area. He thinks the sediments are being diverted back to the heater core and clogging the system up.

Last I heard via VWoA was that if the dealer tells them that, then they will refund my heater core money and pay for the thermostat. That was last Monday I was told that and here I am a week later with still no answer.

So bottom line, unless you get a dealer that helps you out and says the emissions warranty is the result of a bad heater core, then you're SOL.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
See this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=502633

Wish I could upload a JPG to show the coolant diagram, but apparently that is not possible in this forum. But the EGR cooler is ahead of the heater core relative to coolant flow. I think the EGR cooler is also a candidate for plugging, like the heater core, so it can become the clog point restricting flow to the heater core, which would give the same symptoms of a clogged heater core. I'm not sure of this, but EGR coolers have been replaced on 2011-2014 Passats, and if they can't clog, I don't understand why they are being replaced.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Pictures such as JPEGs and the like all need to be hosted somewhere before they can be linked to here. you can host them on this site's picture server or you can host them at any other third party sites such as Imgr or others. Upload them there and then post the link back here in the thread. Not difficult at all. if you're going to post pictures here especially for something like this our image server is preferred over third-party ones. usually get a lot of broken links when people rearrange and/or delete their pictures on the third-party servers versus leaving them here on this server.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
I did receive a letter from VW (Canada) with my '15 GSW VIN on it indicating that "the list of components covered by this warranty extension has been updated to include certain emissions-related parts and, in some cases, the heater core". However, upon further inspection, it seems to relate to Gen 1 TDI's, but it does say that the heater core may be covered in other 2L & 3L TDI's if it is the cause of a check engine light or diagnostic trouble code. Odd that I would get this letter about the heater core if it didn't relate to my '15 GSW. Not sure if this helps Smashed Ixnay...
I haven't had any issues since getting the 2A mod. Better throttle response compared to after phase 1, with a very slight increase in fuel economy. However, 99% of my driving is on the highway.

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Pictures such as JPEGs and the like all need to be hosted somewhere before they can be linked to here. you can host them on this site's picture server or you can host them at any other third party sites such as Imgr or others. Upload them there and then post the link back here in the thread. Not difficult at all. if you're going to post pictures here especially for something like this our image server is preferred over third-party ones. usually get a lot of broken links when people rearrange and/or delete their pictures on the third-party servers versus leaving them here on this server.
Thanks. After some stumbling & fumbling, I did find a way to use the forum picture server and tie an image to a post. Doesn't work to attach an image to a post using FireFox though, but found a way to do it using Internet Explorer. That linked thread now has that image. I also attached it here to this thread for those that have no heat in this emission scandal related thread.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Did you have heat prior to removing the "silica" bag? Do you know why that bag was put into the coolant reservoir in the first place?
#1 No #2 Yes

Also car has been in Fla since new up until now (TN) & heat was never turned on. Also silica bag was intact when removed.

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
#1 No #2 Yes

Also car has been in Fla since new up until now (TN) & heat was never turned on. Also silica bag was intact when removed.
OK. If you know why the silica bag was put in, then why would you have removed it? The purpose it served was to reduce the potential for the problem you are now experiencing.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
OK. If you know why the silica bag was put in, then why would you have removed it? The purpose it served was to reduce the potential for the problem you are now experiencing.
Bag was put in so coolant was would be considered "Lifetime" and it would help replenish the "silica". I am replacing the coolant with new as car has close to 60K on it instead of relying on the bag as nothing last forever including coolant.
Btw. Heat does work now. Perhaps since it was never used & it needed to be woke up.
New coolant is on its way( G13) & it will be changed @ 60K as I have 59.7K on car

Last edited:

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
VWoA called me and said the DPF won’t be ready till the end of January. Looks like I’ll be driving this loaner for a while.

So EGR cooler, EGR temperature sensor, thermostat, heater core, oxygen sensors, and now DPF. Including the things they done earlier in the year, I’m gonna have everything emission related changed in my car by the time they are done with this fix, lol.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well at least the more you drive the loaner the longer your warranty will be to some extent. Rack up the miles on theirs and save yours. I assume it is all free under warranty as well.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Okay, so dealer called me today and said all parts already had came in. He said they put the DPF on Saturday/Monday, and was finishing up the rest today. He never called me back, so either he didn't finish or my heat still wasn't working.

Hopefully tomorrow he calls me to let me know it's ready. This took me by surprise, because I was not expecting the DPF so soon. I mean, he did tell me a week or two ago that it should be in pretty soon, but I didn't believe him. When the VWoA rep called me to say it wouldn't be till the end of January, I really figured it'd be around that time.

Supposedly my coolant tank has a "pressurized leak" now. It's roughly $100, so I just told him to do it. I figure more than anything they are trying to cover their asses for anything that could be leaking. Supposedly the only coolant leak I had was from the EGR cooler and they couldn't find anything that was leaking before. All of a sudden now it's miraculous leaking. :rolleyes:

All I know is my heat better be working, because if not I'm calling VWoA while in the office to let them know I want a rental/loaner, and I'm taking the car to another dealer. It's been cold in FL the past two weeks and I need my defrost to work because it's impossible to see anything in the morning with freezing cold air blowing in the mornings.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Okay, picked up my car yesterday.

So far everything is working great. I only put on about 90 miles on it since I picked it up, but mpg's seem to be up a little at same speeds I used to drive, but I'm not going to say it's fixed till I put on one week's worth of miles (700+-).

The idiots didn't install the hose that goes from air intake to my turbo, so I called the dealer to tell them they owe me that part. I also took a picture and emailed my VWoA rep, but I also talked to her on the phone to let her know.

I thought I was done going to the dealer, but I guess not!

Total price for VWoA to fix it is just shy of $4k from the bill I saw.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Christ, now my AC isn't working. It used to blow freezing cold air, and now it's not throwing any.

When I turn on defrost it works great, but I have a strong coolant odor coming into my car.

Webbie1

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE Manual
OK, so I bought my 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual a little over a year ago with 42k on it. I just brought it in for an oil change at 72k miles. When I set up the appointment, I asked about the phase 2B emissions work. The dealership knew nothing about it, and said that if any work was required, they'd have an alert about it. So I just got the oil change done and left, figuring I could figure out the emissions stuff later. I'm not sure what my best course of action should be going forward. I've heard of some saying to wait as long as possible for the 2B so your new parts are newer as the mileage goes up. But how do I even get the dealership to be aware of the next required work? I've attached a photo of the sticker under my hood for any of you experts to decipher. Appreciate any replies / advice!

Warner

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
OK, so I bought my 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual a little over a year ago with 42k on it. I just brought it in for an oil change at 72k miles. When I set up the appointment, I asked about the phase 2B emissions work. The dealership knew nothing about it, and said that if any work was required, they'd have an alert about it. So I just got the oil change done and left, figuring I could figure out the emissions stuff later. I'm not sure what my best course of action should be going forward. I've heard of some saying to wait as long as possible for the 2B so your new parts are newer as the mileage goes up. But how do I even get the dealership to be aware of the next required work? I've attached a photo of the sticker under my hood for any of you experts to decipher. Appreciate any replies / advice!

Warner

As I have two 2015 Jettas, this is also applicable. This appears to be the relevant paragraph in https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen3_Final.pdf
"You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is available for your vehicle.You should expect to receive this notice before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time, before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement."

It doesn't say it gets replaced at 70k, just that it gets replaced again before 150k. Both of mine on the settlement site are listed as partial complete, I'm guessing because both were under 70k, and both still required the second replacement.