2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

Sply_freedon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG, 2012 Golf TDI DSG
The throttle response and torque limiter delete tweaks in VCDS worked wonders for my DSG behavior. I wonder if the programming includes those two tweaks?
Newbie. Just got my first Volkswagen after being away 13 long years, with 19K m in extremely good condition. The car sounded, shifted, and drove so well. Then I took it in for P2. Now it seems to have less diesel putter, less torque, and to shift with higher "peaks and valleys" - at higher rpms with less torque below. I am disappointed and wondering - can I expect this to improve on its own? Some people here have said so. Is there another option such as above? Higher rpms max at 2000 in second - not crazy but everything just seemed so much smoother and more solid before. Also, seems to lug more up hills. S mode is better, but seems more like D used to. I like to drive slow and easy in D. I seriously doubt I will get to 120,000 before 11 years, and with decreased fuel economy, what did I gain? With decreased fuel economy what does the environment gain? Great forum/club. Thanks.

P.S. Rogue factor - I am basing all of this on two tanks of gas - one pre P2, one almost immediately after. Shell was first tank, Thornton's second. Could this affect? I have looked around and not found mention of brand comparisons here. Fuel economy was 46 before and seems substantially less now as well. Thanks much for any help!

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
I purchased a CPO 2015 Passat SEL TDI DSG two weeks ago and I am very displeased with the performance post fix. This thing is a dog compared to my 2014 I sold back. No low end torque and at times, the DSG seems lost hunting for the right gear. It has 35,xxx miles on it and the dealer said the modification is complete. If it continues like this, I'm going to need to put a tune on it.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I picked up the Jetta on Wednesday and didn’t get 2 miles from the Dealer and CEL came on...back there today Got my money today! PISSED!

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
I'm looking at all of this with a lot of interest. I bought my '15 Jetta TDI because of the killer warranty, I like Diesels, and I like driving it much more than the Prius I traded in. This Jetta is my 6th VW.

I put a lot of miles on the car (55,000 miles per year) due to my commute, so longevity is important to me. Because of that I've been mulling over the differences in miles between DSG and manual (mine's a DSG) for the earliest point at which a complete phase 2 can be done. Running under the assumptions that (1) VW wants to process as few warranty claims as possible, and still meet the requirements of the settlement, and (2) I've seen in other paperwork that the anticipated life of the car is 150-160,000 miles, it would seem that the DSG cars put less stress on the emissions components. My logic is this: if VW expects the emissions parts to last out to that point, and will replace parts as early as 40K on DSG cars but not 'till 70K on manual cars, then it follows that the minimum expected life span of the updated emissions components on a DSG car is about 120K, but only 90K on a manual.

This plays into my thinking that since my Jetta is a commuter and I put a ton of miles on it, I need to wait as long as possible before getting phase 2 done. That idea is tempered by another thought...am I stressing any other parts of the car by waiting to have phase 2 done? For instance, the transmission. People have talked about different shift points after phase 2, and the higher shift points are desirable to me, since in my opinion, the car upshifts way too early in Drive, leading me to drive in sport mode or shift it manually most of the time...which makes me wonder if I'm shortening the life of the transmission by doing so. When I shift manually, the shifts are slower than if I leave the transmission alone, making me wonder if I'm shortening clutch life. I'm also wondering what the more frequent regens of the phase 1 are doing to my DPF, and whether I'm loading other components up with more carbon gunk, since the car must be putting out more soot than an unfixed car (more frequent regens being the indicator, or so I've read around here).

Regardless, I'll continue watching this closely. I'm coming up on my 40K service at the end of July, and at the moment I'm thinking that I'll do phase 2 around 70K, unless something pops up to change my mind.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
I did notice that the wiring was pretty close to the turbo, so that was issue 1. I went to start the car after work and the vehicle's accessories only turned on. Odd I thought, so I turned the car off and back on again, this time I had a Engine Malfunction and Check Coolant lights. I turned off again and tried a third time, still had the same lights on. Now we get to the real issue...The main issue, which at this point makes me laugh and cry at the same time is it appears they removed the coolant tank on the far left side of the engine bay. What they didn't do is correctly fit the coolant hose to the tank and not only that, but the bracket for the tank was broken, which it hasn't been before. That is what I was smelling, coolant was spraying all over the entire engine bay. The coolant tank was also cracked, which wasn't broken before P2. Needless to say, I am beyond pissed that the coolant tank was just floating around the engine bay. When I tried to start the car a third time, coolant just dropped to the concrete below me. Car was towed to the dealership (60 miles from my work) at their expensive after a few choice words about this experience. I might just be the only one without any luck, but dang, this just keeps on getting worse and worse. This might just be my last VW let alone TDI. The VW Regional Manager for NE US received a call last night, so I should expect to hear from them as well. I hope no one else has to go through this nightmare that I am going through. On the bright side, they gave me a loaner for the next 2 weeks while I am out of town, free of charge (2018 Focus Titanium, not my choice, but it works).
I agree with that. The dealership has yet to make things right (besides the first mishap) and I am still concerned that after the fix, something else is going to go wrong still. I did receive word from the Service Dept. that as mentioned the coolant tank and hoses were to blame (anyone really could have told me that). It will be ready in 3 days, but I won't be picking it up anytime soon. Funny you mention a survey, my dealer doesn't do any of that after service, but it would be nice if they did.

Have been in the works with VW NA's Manager for the MidWest region on what to do with the car, since it seems to leave me in a consistent rut. I am also becoming increasingly tired of having it towed and repaired often. I wish I could enjoy the car as much as you guys have been.
I know that folks have told me on another thread questioning holding off on the "fix" that the restitution money makes the frustration, lost time, and dwindling fondness for the car pretty much worth it. I know that comes across as sarcastic, but I get the sense that tdi4ty doesn't think so.

Sply_freedon

TDI
Any insight on these questions and guesses most welcome:

On my 2.0, after P2 the "torque is gone." If feels like 20% less or more. My uninformed theory is: 1. VW knows the effect bringing their previously rigged 2.0 diesel engines into compliance with U.S. emissions standards will have (the alternative seems impossible.) 2. They offer a two-stage fix: P1 brings changes, but comparatively more innocuous ones so they can get on with selling these cars. P2 is where the real pain is felt. The loss of torque from P2 is caused by the new exhaust hardware. VW attempts to make up for, and to mask, this by setting the shift points higher, thereby revving the engine more to call on the 2.0's unfortunately non-existent horsepower. End of story.

Does this sequence of events fit the understanding of those of you who are more technically informed? Does anyone know any facts or interpretations that challenge it?

Does this explanation of the mechanics behind the effect of P2 on torque and the tuning attempts to ameliorate or obscure that effect make sense?

Does anyone know how much the VW updates to my car decreases its output of NOx? Did it really go from 40 to 1? And is a reduction like this environmentally significant (I read that it is)?

Some in this thread and in other places have said their cars returned to pre-P2 performance after a few days or weeks of driving. Is this a reasonable thing to hope for?

Finally, for the long haul, is it "unhealthy" for my engine to be configured this way? Before P2 it seemed balanced and free to "breathe" and "stretch its legs." With P2 it seems hamstrung and restrained.

Thanks in advance.

- coming to terms with going from the best car ever to the same car with the engine performance of my grandmother's 1985 Dodge Diplomat. It turns all the bells and whistles - the tac, the HID lights, the suspension, the seats, everything else besides the engine - into a farce. I literally feel like a laughing stock, and perhaps rightly so, a grown man with real problems driving a toy in a world inhabited by other kinds of problems.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
3. The poster has no real evidence that anything has changed on their car performance wise. Someone saying these things and having proof that these things have happened are two different things. Without any factual proof I would take anything posted as a grain of salt. Most have reported no changes at all or very slight. I have had both done and have noticed no change that I can tell without scientific testing. Sounds like you are promoting more conspiracy theories to me.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Had the pre-40,000 mile, Phase 2 done and mileage is up a bit figured by pen and paper. But it is warmer finally and been on summer diesel for a while, so only time will tell. No real difference in performance. Granted the pre 40,000 mile phase 2 is only an additional NOX sensor and software changes so the system see the new sensor and etc. At 70,000 is when I get the new DPF, catalyst, and associated hardware, but I don't expect this to make any difference either. In fact this may help performance because I get a nice clean, free flowing DPF and catalyst and etc. I elected to do the phase 2 before 40,000 miles so I get the new parts @ 70,000 rather than just being over 40,000 and getting the new parts. So I get an extra 30,000 miles before changing the parts.

Sply_freedon

TDI
Well, both of these replies are good news, except that they don't match my experience. The mileage readings on the car suggest I'm getting lower mpg, and I won't have very scientific evidence anyway since I have only owned the car for about two weeks. It feels like I'd have to be getting lower mpg since I'm pushing more on the pedal and nothing happens. I have no interest in promoting anything, just trying to learn about my car and P2.

Thanks for responding. I do hope this gets better and it will be good to get a new DPF, etc. as I also had P2 done before 40K miles.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Well, both of these replies are good news, except that they don't match my experience. The mileage readings on the car suggest I'm getting lower mpg, and I won't have very scientific evidence anyway since I have only owned the car for about two weeks. It feels like I'd have to be getting lower mpg since I'm pushing more on the pedal and nothing happens. I have no interest in promoting anything, just trying to learn about my car and P2.

Thanks for responding. I do hope this gets better and it will be good to get a new DPF, etc. as I also had P2 done before 40K miles.

Is this your first DSG and/or turbocharged vehicle? There is a bit of learning curve on both of those pieces of hardware. Once you get over those curves (how to work around delays in clutch engagement and turbo lag), I am confident you'll be able to put the power down like it should be put down.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The mileage readings from the car are known to be inaccurate. Please start using Fuelly (online) or a spreadsheet to track results for a more accurate number. Two weeks of ownership isn't enough to even judge any aspect really, much less come up with all the theories you seem to have found/mentioned.

Last edited:

Sply_freedon

TDI
Blue_Hen_TDI - awesome. Yes, this is my first DSG, and my first turbocharged Volkswagen (the other was a Volvo, so not much in the way of experience there.) Another person who had P2 performed by the same shop seems to have an identical experience to mine. I wonder if that might have something to do with it? Despite my newness to diesel, DSG, and turbo, I feel pretty confident in my impressions. The first thing I noticed after the fix, other than the slightly quieter sound, was higher shift points. Now the car is pulling up hills in lower rpms and downshifting when I try to go from say 60 to 70 mph instead of just doing it in the same gear (6). Thanks for your input!

bitslop

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S Manual
It seems like all the reports of lack of low-end torque has been from DSG vehicles. I wonder if DSG software changes (if any) for Phase 2 is the culprit for any perceived change in drive-ability?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
It seems like all the reports of lack of low-end torque has been from DSG vehicles. I wonder if DSG software changes (if any) for Phase 2 is the culprit for any perceived change in drive-ability?

Belaboring the obvious, but the paddle shifters with DSG work very well, particularly in the exact use case where folks are currently dissatisfied. That is, accelerating from stop and passing vehicles.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Nope, not being obtuse. I read my letter. It says I get warranty of 5years or 60K miles after date of Phase 2 fix. That seems quite clear, unless you have something you can show me in writing stating otherwise.

I'm not saying the leter won't be amended at some future point, but it's all I have to go on at this point in time.

You seem aggravated. Sorry. I like to deal in facts instead of assumptions. It has served me well in my 22 year (so far) career in interpreting federal contract law.

I am astonished at the mpg these JSWs and new Passats are getting...but then again, I'll have to be satisfied with my measly 35-42mpg..Oh wait a minute.... and no payments lol...:D

It will be interesting to see if the mpgs hold up on the vehicles after all the retrofitting has a chance to settle in.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
In Total Agreement

Any insight on these questions and guesses most welcome:

On my 2.0, after P2 the "torque is gone." If feels like 20% less or more. My uninformed theory is: 1. VW knows the effect bringing their previously rigged 2.0 diesel engines into compliance with U.S. emissions standards will have (the alternative seems impossible.) 2. They offer a two-stage fix: P1 brings changes, but comparatively more innocuous ones so they can get on with selling these cars. P2 is where the real pain is felt. The loss of torque from P2 is caused by the new exhaust hardware. VW attempts to make up for, and to mask, this by setting the shift points higher, thereby revving the engine more to call on the 2.0's unfortunately non-existent horsepower. End of story.

Does this sequence of events fit the understanding of those of you who are more technically informed? Does anyone know any facts or interpretations that challenge it?

Does this explanation of the mechanics behind the effect of P2 on torque and the tuning attempts to ameliorate or obscure that effect make sense?

Does anyone know how much the VW updates to my car decreases its output of NOx? Did it really go from 40 to 1? And is a reduction like this environmentally significant (I read that it is)?

Some in this thread and in other places have said their cars returned to pre-P2 performance after a few days or weeks of driving. Is this a reasonable thing to hope for?

Finally, for the long haul, is it "unhealthy" for my engine to be configured this way? Before P2 it seemed balanced and free to "breathe" and "stretch its legs." With P2 it seems hamstrung and restrained.

Thanks in advance.

- coming to terms with going from the best car ever to the same car with the engine performance of my grandmother's 1985 Dodge Diplomat. It turns all the bells and whistles - the tac, the HID lights, the suspension, the seats, everything else besides the engine - into a farce. I literally feel like a laughing stock, and perhaps rightly so, a grown man with real problems driving a toy in a world inhabited by other kinds of problems.

Your assessment of the phase 2 fix is correct. My car is behaving just as you describe.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
3. The poster has no real evidence that anything has changed on their car performance wise. Someone saying these things and having proof that these things have happened are two different things. Without any factual proof I would take anything posted as a grain of salt. Most have reported no changes at all or very slight. I have had both done and have noticed no change that I can tell without scientific testing. Sounds like you are promoting more conspiracy theories to me.

If the guy who owns the car says his car is now a dog performance-wise, then who should know better? While there's always a possibility it's psychosomatic, there's no good reason to discount what he says. That's like saying you can't know it's hot out without a thermometer.

It usually takes a 15-20% change for a non-technician to notice a difference in performance of a vehicle, so if he's noting a change, I'd guess that the $5K he traded for his TDI's performance is not making up for the loss.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
While there's always a possibility it's psychosomatic, ....

There is a lot of research accumulating in scientific circles about confirmation bias. Dieselgate has been a great example of it in action. Since I have had 3.0 TDI’s from before the scandal, I have had a chance to watch this all unfold. I am quite sure in saying that those who were, from the outset, skeptical of the actions of the EPA, CARB, FTC, and Judge Breyer in the controversy have been much more likely to be dissatisfied with the cars now after the fix. In some cases skepticism is too weak a word; a lot of indignation and outrage in some quarters. The more of this, the greater the likelihood of dissatisfaction with the fix on the whole. People really do experience what they expect to experience.

This generalization won’t apply to every owner, so please don’t take it that way, but I am quite sure of its truth as a whole.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
There are so many factors at play that short of getting a pre and post dyno done on the same dyno under identical atmospheric conditions, no concrete statements can really be made.

Hot weather alone can make a turbo car feel less responsive. There's a reason people call winter "boost season".

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
There is a lot of research accumulating in scientific circles about confirmation bias. Dieselgate has been a great example of it in action. Since I have had 3.0 TDI’s from before the scandal, I have had a chance to watch this all unfold. I am quite sure in saying that those who were, from the outset, skeptical of the actions of the EPA, CARB, FTC, and Judge Breyer in the controversy have been much more likely to be dissatisfied with the cars now after the fix. In some cases skepticism is too weak a word; a lot of indignation and outrage in some quarters. The more of this, the greater the likelihood of dissatisfaction with the fix on the whole. People really do experience what they expect to experience.

This generalization won’t apply to every owner, so please don’t take it that way, but I am quite sure of its truth as a whole.
I agree with you.

There have also been some number of posters in this forum who got their vehicle "fixed" experiencing no preceding skepticism, and some even lacking knowledge altogether about dieselgate, who were quite dissatisfied with the change in performance.

The point is, if the driver can really feel it and he's not a technician, it's likely a change in performance of upwards of 15%.

In all actuality, it's possible that accelerator pedal response settings were changed for some vehicles, requiring the cars with DSG transmissions to be treated like a small gasoline engine vehicle (i.e., stomp the pedal to the floor when you need it to move). So in cases where you'd usually drive it with quarter or half-pedal engagement, I would wonder if people who are dissatisfied with the performance of the TDIs with DSGs could just try a change in driving style and smash it to the floor to check whether the bad driving experience is primarily a change in pedal response settings.

If it's not that, then engine programming changes could probably be smoothed out with a tune.

However, it seems sad to exchange a good runner for basically the cost of the diesel engine to something that operates more closely to the gasoline engine VW auto which people could have bought prior to dieselgate anyway.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Had the pre-40,000 mile, Phase 2 done and mileage is up a bit figured by pen and paper. But it is warmer finally and been on summer diesel for a while, so only time will tell. No real difference in performance. Granted the pre 40,000 mile phase 2 is only an additional NOX sensor and software changes so the system see the new sensor and etc. At 70,000 is when I get the new DPF, catalyst, and associated hardware, but I don't expect this to make any difference either. In fact this may help performance because I get a nice clean, free flowing DPF and catalyst and etc. I elected to do the phase 2 before 40,000 miles so I get the new parts @ 70,000 rather than just being over 40,000 and getting the new parts. So I get an extra 30,000 miles before changing the parts.
When does the warranty kick in? The first part of phase 2 or the second? I'm looking at a manual 2015 with under 40k on it, and it says it has a modification complete listed as partial when I put in the VIN over on the vw page. It says the warranty is pending. Any idea what that means? Others have been mod complete yes, has extended warranty yes. This is the first one I saw like this. The car has been on the lot for over a week now, so the note that it may take 10 days for the data to update seems unlikely to be the issue.

Considering I almost drove 3 hours one way on a car that a non VW dealer claimed had not been fixed, the VIN lookup has come in handy at least 2 times now.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
If it at all could be related to pedal feel, there are a few settings in VCDS to not forget about and try changing to see how they change things. On my manual each one changed the feel a bit. They are talked about lots elsewhere on here and other forums so I won't say anything about them but here are the three that I changed.

1) throttle response adaptation in the 44-steering assist module: "direct" from "adaptive over time"
2) starting vibration reduction in the 03-abs module: changed to disabled from strong
3) starting vibration reduction-torque limitation in the 03-abs module: disabled from enabled

I wonder if any of these settings may also have changed during flashing of phase 2 on the DSG cars. It's worth checking for sure as I really do notice a difference if I flip this one way or another in the way the car feels off the line and at low RPM when shifting, as well as the throttle response one.

Ripster

TDI
Things I know to be true:

- I had a 2014 Passat SEL TDI DSG
- I loved it
- I averaged 37-40 MPG hand calculated
- I drive fast, hence the below average mileage
- My daily commute is 195 miles round trip
- I sold it back in Jan 2018

- I have a 2015 Passat SEL TDI DSG
- I purchased it 18 Jun 2018
- It has substantially less low end grunt (torque) than the 2014
- Manually shifting the DSG does nothing to correct the loss
- Holding the pedal to the floor does nothing but decrease mileage
- Dealer says all mods are done on car
- VW website says only Part 1 completed
- Mileage so far (less than a month) has been 32-35 MPG
- I would suspect the reduced mileage is a direct result of me driving the car harder to try to achieve the performance of the 2014
- I still like the car
- I Plan to order a tune from Malone

sk8rguy

TDI
2015 SE TDI Golf Sportwagon
I have 66K MT sportswagen. I went to the claims website and it said I should be paid 2k to take my car in!? This is news to me. The dealership and warranty people at VWA said nothing about this. My appointment for service is in the morning.

CPO, VW did phase 1 before I bought it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Things I know to be true:

- I had a 2014 Passat SEL TDI DSG
- I loved it
- I averaged 37-40 MPG hand calculated
- I drive fast, hence the below average mileage
- My daily commute is 195 miles round trip
- I sold it back in Jan 2018

- I have a 2015 Passat SEL TDI DSG
- I purchased it 18 Jun 2018
- It has substantially less low end grunt (torque) than the 2014
- Manually shifting the DSG does nothing to correct the loss
- Holding the pedal to the floor does nothing but decrease mileage
- Dealer says all mods are done on car
- VW website says only Part 1 completed
- Mileage so far (less than a month) has been 32-35 MPG
- I would suspect the reduced mileage is a direct result of me driving the car harder to try to achieve the performance of the 2014
- I still like the car
- I Plan to order a tune from Malone

You won't be disappointed with the tune, but you're milages may be the same or slighly improved unless you start deleting stuff. As stock stg 1/2 tune leaves the emissions stuff alone, it just messed with the fueling.

Our phase 1 tuned '15 gets the same as our '12 Passat, but we also don't flog the car all that often.

Ripster

TDI
You won't be disappointed with the tune, but you're milages may be the same or slighly improved unless you start deleting stuff. As stock stg 1/2 tune leaves the emissions stuff alone, it just messed with the fueling.

Our phase 1 tuned '15 gets the same as our '12 Passat, but we also don't flog the car all that often.
That's good to hear. I have the tuner, but the wife has the car at the Outer Banks all week. Looking forward to getting started.