2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Show me where its documented it's 2A then followed by 2B at a later date? I read the documentation that it's known the warranty will be picking up the tab for replacement parts just not the whole 2B kit. Maybe I'm wrong.

No problem. It's right there in the recall letter. Example: I have dsg <40K miles. I get the flash and smaller hardware kit now (2A) and the larger hardware kit after 70K miles (2B).

Last edited:

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
No problem. It's right there in the recall letter. Example: I have dsg <40K miles. I get the flash and smaller hardware kit now (2A) and the larger hardware kit after 70K miles (2B).

Did you purchase your car before the scandal or off the lot with Phase 1 already applied? I have less than 40k, but bought mine new in 2015, I have the 2b kit and fall under "may need to have the Diesel oxidation catalyst replaced before it reaches 150,000 miles", at least that's what I thought was happening, haha.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you purchase your car before the scandal or off the lot with Phase 1 already applied? I have less than 40k, but bought mine new in 2015, I have the 2b kit and fall under "may need to have the Diesel oxidation catalyst replaced before it reaches 150,000 miles", at least that's what I thought was happening, haha.
May 2017 purchase, new (old stock) w/ Phase 1 applied. I was under the impression that if I go in now, I get the flash and second sensor since it would be silly to replace my DPF this early. Then I come back after 70k to get my DPF and other mentioned hardware replaced.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I still haven't received an email or a VW letter regarding Phase 2 for my 2015 Passat SEL Premium (DSG). I bought mine in Nov 2017 with 11k miles from a VW dealer that had already done Phase 1. Where do I go to inquire regarding getting the email or getting the letter? I'd rather have these documents in hand than not have them, especially if I get Phase 2 prior to 40k miles which requires this follow-up visit for more hardware installed sometime later.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
So I've got about a month on the post-phase 2 fix. Enough for 3 tanks to measure economy.

The orange line represents my pre-Phase 2 average MPGs. The gray dots are fill ups after the Phase 2 fix. We'll see how the trend goes, but I'm definitely not seeing the alleged efficiency increases that others are claiming. I drive 100+ miles daily, 90+% on the highway at around 70 mph.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you recently started using AC for warmer weather? That could be a negative contributor.

Great data compilation. Thanks for sharing.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I still haven't received an email or a VW letter regarding Phase 2 for my 2015 Passat SEL Premium (DSG). I bought mine in Nov 2017 with 11k miles from a VW dealer that had already done Phase 1. Where do I go to inquire regarding getting the email or getting the letter? I'd rather have these documents in hand than not have them, especially if I get Phase 2 prior to 40k miles which requires this follow-up visit for more hardware installed sometime later.
Maybe call VW customer care (1-800-822-8987). At the very least, they can verify that your info is correct in their system. I want to say I got my letter over a month ago.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Have CEL after phase 2

Took mine in and they kept it two days for: phase 2, DEF fluid leak, oil and filter change.
Shift points are different, less torque I think, and a dreaded CEL. Called the service manager and he hasn't returned my call.

Folks, there was a LOT of paperwork involved in this. I feel sorry for the service writer--what a hassle.

I have a 2015 TDI, S, with 13,800 miles. Purchased after the phase 1 was done.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Have you recently started using AC for warmer weather? That could be a negative contributor.

Great data compilation. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, been using A/C since since probably March here. I like it cooler, so it's on most of the year.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf

I don’t have the letter, since I only bought the car 6 weeks ago, but I just gave my dealer the vin number and they did the procedure.

NomoreVW

TDI
15 Passat SE tdi
Does anyone know when Phase 2 fix will be implemented for 2015 Gen 3 cars? Phase 1 completed months ago but paid only 2/3 settlement.
Dealer told me yesterday that phase two is available now. I don’t really care since my whole fuel system needs to be changed for 9 grand! 15 Passat we tdi

Last edited:

NomoreVW

TDI
15 Passat SE tdi
Dealer told me yesterday that phase two is available now. I don’t really care since my whole fuel system needs to be changed for 9 grand!
Might just fill cab with gas and blow up whole car! I’m kinda little pissed right now?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I don’t have the letter, since I only bought the car 6 weeks ago, but I just gave my dealer the vin number and they did the procedure.
While I don't have "my" letter, I did call VW Customer Care, and they pointed me to a PDF file in the www.vwcoursettlement.com" website that contains the exact same language of the partial copy view provided by Blue_Hen_TDI. The VW Customer Care person I talked to said not to expect a letter or email with this content, since I purchased the vehicle as a buy-back from a VW dealer that had done the Phase 1 modification prior to my purchase.

That said, the PDF letter on the website stated above also said; "Please keep this letter with your warranty booklet and deliver it to any new owner, along with the owner's manual." Now how can I do that if VW says they likely won't be sending me this letter specific to my vehicle VIN?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Also read right there last sentence first paragraph, for 2A people "you may need to replace DOC" only, not DPF not SCR as stated a few sentances above, this must be them saving words as I believe they are all one component.

Right but phase 2a kit just adds the sensor pipe and wiring, 2b kit adds the sensor, pipe, wiring and change out the hardware.

On a 2A car, once you need new hardware you don't need another sensor new pipe and new wiring, you'd most likely only need a new DPF DOC SCR? VW

Or is the 2b kit welded the DPF DOC SCR such that it has the pipe bung all in one so you can't reuse the new 2a pipe? If so that should be one stock code item, not a "kit".

Anyone have a picture of the two kits and all the components side by side? what does the DPF look like of the 2B kit compared to what was installed at the factory.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I interpret it to mean that after 70k miles, you come back for a new DPF, DOC, and SCR.

What’s worrisome though is that the language makes the second visit seem like an afterthought to VW. It seems clear that all they really care about is getting all cars flashed and the second NOx sensor installed so they can close out the restitution account and make the EPA happy.

Will they really be prepared and honor the second visit say ten years from now? That part will be interesting to watch over the coming years. But the way I see it, they owe me a whole new set of hardware (DPF, DOC, SCR) sometime after 70k miles on my car and I intend to hold them to their letter. I would advise everyone to keep their letter handy for showing to a dealer or a court years from now if necessary.

Last edited:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
We're making this too confusing. If you have a valid claim with VOA then you will have a claim reference nbr. If you here on this site, you probably have set up an account on the claims portal. Go there and take a screen shot of your claim reference nbr (under account claim preferences).
Go to a VW dealer and show them that nbr. After that you should not have to do anything else. VW has what has been done to your car and what needs to be done documented. It's a defined process.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
While I don't have "my" letter, I did call VW Customer Care, and they pointed me to a PDF file in the www.vwcoursettlement.com" website that contains the exact same language of the partial copy view provided by Blue_Hen_TDI. The VW Customer Care person I talked to said not to expect a letter or email with this content, since I purchased the vehicle as a buy-back from a VW dealer that had done the Phase 1 modification prior to my purchase.

That said, the PDF letter on the website stated above also said; "Please keep this letter with your warranty booklet and deliver it to any new owner, along with the owner's manual." Now how can I do that if VW says they likely won't be sending me this letter specific to my vehicle VIN?
Print the letter from the website.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
This is all that is required when you visit your friendly VW dealership.
Claim nbr and VIN. What more could the dealer need? (Other than the vehicle).

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Ok , how do I get my claim number ? I have no idea where my letter might be (we are getting ready to move), so I would like to get it from the website if possible

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok , how do I get my claim number ? I have no idea where my letter might be (we are getting ready to move), so I would like to get it from the website if possible
If you have an approved claim and have set up an account on-line then go to the claims portal, else call the claims hotline. If you never set up an account online, you probably can still set up an account. You'll need the VIN.
If no approved claim, then start at the claims portal and submit a claim. If it's not too late? Not sure when the claim period ends.
https://claims.vwgoa.com/#/

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
All this is too confusing, to be sure. What I am interpreting is:

1. For those who are original purchasers of 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI's (purchased prior to when the Emissions scandal hit): You get Phase 1 + Phase 2 (2A + 2B, regardless of vehicle mileage when brought in for Phase 2).

2. For those who purchased a 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI from a VW dealer after these vehicles were bought back from prior owners and where VW provided the Phase 1 fix before putting them back on the market, this is where the 40k miles for DSG/70k miles for manuals, come into play regarding if you get Phase 2 2A or 2A+2B.

I also think (but am not certain) that the claims portal is for claiming restitution payment decisions. For those in this second group, VW is currently denying such owners of a restitution. I don't think a claim number is required for such owners who already are assuming their vehicles are not eligible for restitution payments - so they don't needlessly have to go through the claim process for the intent of seeking the emissions fix only (not intending to qualify for a restitution payment).

Again, I could be wrong. Just my interpretations from what I am reading within this forum.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My understanding is the mileage applies to all cars. If you are getting paid for the fix you must file a claim. If you aren't getting any money or don't care just take it in and get it done.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
My understanding is the mileage applies to all cars. If you are getting paid for the fix you must file a claim. If you aren't getting any money or don't care just take it in and get it done.
In the context of item #1 above (owners who purchased new prior to the Sept 2015 emissions scandal), it may only to the extent that those original owners may get a 2nd Diesel Oxidation Catalyst prior to the vehicle reaching the end of its useful life mileage (150,000 miles). This particular situation (mileage dependent) is absent in the context of item #2 above.

Again, my interpretation in what I got out of the letter shown.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My guess is the assumption is that someone who has owned the car since 2015 has also put on 40K miles, again assumptions, and the wording VW used is more than vague as there are about 3-4 variables.

One thing I can keep in the back of my mind, VW will only give you as many DOC DPF SCR enough to get you past that threshold of useful life of 150K/168K and nothing more, be it bought new in '15 or '17.

VW has doled out enough cash for thess settlements plus is still facing big unknowns warranty claims in the next 4-10 years, they won't be giving out DPF DOC SRC like candy.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
All this is too confusing, to be sure. What I am interpreting is:

1. For those who are original purchasers of 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI's (purchased prior to when the Emissions scandal hit): You get Phase 1 + Phase 2 (2A + 2B, regardless of vehicle mileage when brought in for Phase 2).

2. For those who purchased a 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI from a VW dealer after these vehicles were bought back from prior owners and where VW provided the Phase 1 fix before putting them back on the market, this is where the 40k miles for DSG/70k miles for manuals, come into play regarding if you get Phase 2 2A or 2A+2B.

I also think (but am not certain) that the claims portal is for claiming restitution payment decisions. For those in this second group, VW is currently denying such owners of a restitution. I don't think a claim number is required for such owners who already are assuming their vehicles are not eligible for restitution payments - so they don't needlessly have to go through the claim process for the intent of seeking the emissions fix only (not intending to qualify for a restitution payment).

Again, I could be wrong. Just my interpretations from what I am reading within this forum.
I can comment on #1 as that’s what my dealer told me and did: applied both kits being an original owner.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
how many miles on the clock?