2015 CVCA timing belt instructions?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I may be buying a 2015 Passat tdi soon and it will need a belt as it is at 145k miles. I haven't been able to find instructions for the CVCA TB replacement here. Can anyone point me to them please? Buying a one owner 2015 Passat SE with 6 speed manual.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
Would these be the same instructions for the CRUA engine?
Yes, same instructions for CRUA. I have replaced a belt on the CVCA Passat. Pretty straightforward with proper tools. Placement of the DEF piping makes access to the timing cover quite awkward. That is the only complaint I had.

Jacobpres70

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (CVCA)
I am also in the middle of doing my timing belt on my CVCA. however i have to replace my front main seal. Where am I supposed to mount the engine? the pan is made of frickin plastic! ( you have to take off the pan to replace the seal)

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
I am also in the middle of doing my timing belt on my CVCA. however i have to replace my front main seal. Where am I supposed to mount the engine? the pan is made of frickin plastic! ( you have to take off the pan to replace the seal)
Get an engine support cradle that supports the engine via chains from above. Rubber feet engage hood to fender channel. Works well. Harbor Freight sells them. I have used mine many times.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
me too please, for those instructions!

who should I send my email to?

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
What is the interval on the timing belt?

PLC Geek

TDI
2015 TDI SE 6MT
It's about time for me to do my timing belt as well. I'll be doing it in a few weeks or so.

My plan is to:

• Purchase the Timing Belt Kit (NMS CVCA), plus the tensioner and roller studs from ID Parts.
  • Purchase the the Timing Belt Tools (EA288) kit from ID Parts.
  • Subscribe to erWin and download the appropriate service manual information.
  • Pray it all goes well.
Should I splurge the extra $20 and get the Metalnerd Green Sprocket Buster, or is the standard one that comes in the kit good enough?

I've read the posts here and on the other forums for tips and tricks. I still cannot find a video of someone doing the CVCA. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I'm doing mine around next months, I'm opening my ears here

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I personally struggled with the repair guide...it's huge and too detailed to follow (for me).
I recommend people study the BEW/BRM timing belt guide and then apply the differences, which are not that many. I found myself not really needing the sprocket buster, as the only sprocket that I loosened was the Cam one (one bolt in the middle).
The following is all for CRUA engine (GSW, Golf), but it should be essentially the same for CVCA. No matter what you read, the belt won't come out without removing the motor mount.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
You need the right lockdown tools, I'm unsure if BRM crank tool (which is different to BEW) works here, but all the pins do work for the cam and the HPFP.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Then you need to disconnect this clamp/pipe, which I believe is the EGR to DPF:

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
But even before locking anything down or been able to remove the top TB cover, you have to undo many many brackets. I believe I captured all of them here:

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
for what you thought was EGR DPF, i think that's the def injector

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a lot of brackets

ACE_RX

TDI
15 Passat
Any chance someone can post the instructions here? Or put in a google doc link thanks in advance!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
There's a good video on myturbodiesel? of the procedure on a CJAA I think. They are VERY similar. Good to have the correct manual to read about the small items that are different. I've "deleted" so many of those brackets and it's really cleaned up some of the spaghetti that was thrown onto these motors.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm doing mine this coming weekend, 15 passat, people are saying that is similar to 2012 to 2014 TDIs engine codes, will I need the crank bolt to turn the engine? Any more pointers I will appreciate, going in without torque spec, knowing that upper and lower roller is 18lbs, mid big roller 37lbs plus a 1/4 turn, don't know about tensioner and motor mount torque spec

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know what kind a tool is used to rotate the crank, 1st time doing the belt and want to make sure I got it before doing my TB, hopefully is not a special tool?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Reinstall the crank bolt after pulling off the "vibration dampener" (in quotes because it's barely a dampener) to rotate the crank. I used the metalman crank lock (purple tool) and it worked perfectly for the crank. The cam and fuel pump use the same size locking pin.
Some torque specs for you..replace fasteners with any additional turns (this is technically from my CRUA manual, and would be good to sanity check)
Crank bolt 180Nm + 135deg
Cam sprocket 100Nm
Tensioner nut 20Nm + 45deg
Upper idler bolt 20Nm
Lower idler nut 20Nm
Water pump bolts x3 20Nm + 45deg
Motor mount (engine bracket) 7Nm, then 40Nm, then + 180deg
Engine bracket to motor mount 60Nm + 90deg

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Thxs i am going now with some of the specs that I've been looking for, although I know this is for a different engine code but I also know it is close enough for the CVCA,