2015 Add temperature gauge

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Well, thanks for ideas however I'm looking for a stand alone gauge to install, or update to an SEL dash if that's even possible, note the SE model does not have temp gauge.
No iphone stuff please.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
p3Cars will be your best bet and give you more than a temp gauge.

Other option may be polar FIS, but not sure if they have anything for the stripped jetta.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Does anyone actually know where the water temperature is measured ... at exactly what location around the engine?

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
The 2015 jetta tdi high line has a temp gauge in them but like all past car the gauge is useless as when it reads 90 degs C it could in fact be120 degs and over heating. Put scan gauge in as I did my 2015 and it reads what really is happening. My car is the Comfort line and has no temp gauge. A friend has the highline and has the temperature gauge but by the time it actually starts to rise above the 90 degs mark it is to late and the damage is done. A scan gauge reads battery voltage along with other good info.

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Scan gauge easy to install. Get some HD valcro as I did and had it mount on left side of steering wheel and down just above the fuse panel. 15 mins and done.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Like they said above beware, also they said use a scan gauge. Much easier to plug and play with the scan gauge. It will tell you tempature of the coolant and battery voltage etc and takes only minutes to install.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Not all SEL have a temp gauge. Mine does not. Only if you have the Version 2 gauge cluster will you have a temp gauge, and you will also pick up a fuel gauge and more in-depth MFI.

Mike02z

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2016 Challenger Hellcat
Not all SEL have a temp gauge. Mine does not. Only if you have the Version 2 gauge cluster will you have a temp gauge, and you will also pick up a fuel gauge and more in-depth MFI.
Strange that they would change mid MY. I guess I have V1 as I don't have a temp gauge and have a SEL

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
The stock temperature gauges suck. In my 2015 TDI runs up to 218 degs F as indicated by my scan II gauge. The stock temp gauges alway say 90 degs C but when hotter the gauge does not move higher till its toooo late as I found out in one tdi before. I won't trust the stock temperature gauge period.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You can trust the gauge to do what it is supposed to.

point straight up for most normal operations.

it is not accurate, but it does what it is designed to.

as you state, if you want more visibility into the coolant temp, some kind of OBD gauge is needed.

turo79

TDI
2014 Jetta MKVI Premium
My 2014 doesn't have a temp gauge either so like the rest i purchased a ScanGauge II. I mounted it below the climate control and I love it. It'll monitor boost, DPF/EGR temp, water temp, voltage, fuel economy (you have to manually input data after fill up) and a few other things. Although the only things that does not work for me is if a CEL comes on the tool cannot read it.

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Lots of good replays, thanks. On these modern cars (computer controlled) it's not unusual that a gauge is set to what is should be (under normal conditions) and reflect the real world any longer.
I just like to know the real conditions of my engine - that's important to me, so all the hi-tech phone features the mfg can keep however that's not what sells any more.

B-Spec

TDI
13 Golf TDI, 15 Jetta SEL TDI
My Jetta TDI SEL has no temp gauge either. I never even tried to bring it up when I bought the car. My Golf has all of the stuff so I just figured the SEL trim Jetta would also. Now I got the car home and there is only one MFI screen. There are no settings or controls for the lighting or anything like my Golf has. I was seriously bummed out by this.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
lesson learned

Golf != Jetta, been that way ever since 2011.

Just be happy that you saved some money getting the cheaper jetta.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
KermaTDI is currently working with polar fis for an interface that will work on the 2015 model. They told me they are testing it this week. Hopefully it works! That will add engine monitors and extra screens in the mfd.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
That's for the golf though, different electrical system. I ordered a fis 2 weeks ago not realizing it wouldn't work on my 15 Jetta. After several emails they told me they were about to get a new version of the fis. This week my return and refund finally got straightened out and I inquired about the new fis. Kale at KermaTDI said they received it and are currently testing/working with it. I don't see any reason to not believe him, they were even willing to keep my refund and apply it to the new fis, but I opted for the refund and will purchase the new one once it's available. I'll update if I hear anymore,as he said I would hear back from him with the results.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I have a 2015 Jetta S with the crappy MFI and from my research, I've landed on a Scangauge II if I'm going to buy something standalone (as in, not an ELM327 OBDII bluetooth adapter with another device to read it).

If polar comes out with something, I'd be interested, but I don't see the R&D to make it work with the ****ty dash being worth it.