2015, 2016 TDI's- Great or Sub-par?

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
Trying to figure out if my 2 2015's are going to end up being great cars or headaches. On recent TDI's we have had blown turbo's, bad sensors, HPPF failures, premature water pump failures, clogged heater cores,etc. Yeah, I have the EA288 engine but I wonder how that is going to hold up. I do have the extended warranty because I like having a safety net. I already had a sway bar link failure. Everything else has been okay. Looking at Sat antenna failure codes for a ground; probably moisture that has happened 3 times and cleared itself.

These 2015's might end up being great cars, not withstanding the emissions turmoil. We'll see. I just drove 90 miles each way to my daughters's house and the total cost was just over $10. Pretty amazing. I like the car a lot but if it becomes a problem, it is gone.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Perhaps best to look at it this way...

The NMS TDI is an amazing vehicle. Unfortunately it has its weaknesses as do most products. In fairness I don't know that VW has any more or any less issues than others. The problem is more about solutions to these issues and customer service.

In my particular area there isn't one dealer selling only VW/Audi products. While they may have a section set aside for VW, they'll be servicing multiple brands and that's not a good thing in my book. As a general rule one cannot finish a job on a Toyota, move to an adjacent VW bay, and begin a job on a TDI without a fair chance of doing more harm than good. And self instruction courses don't make the grade. If they did I'd have printed myself a wall full of worthless certificates.

I'm 40 miles at minimum from our nearest dealer and 60 miles from where I purchased our two NMS TDI's. I knew in advance that our cars would never go back to the dealership, except for major warranty issues. Luckily our SEL has had no issues. Unfortunately my SE has suffered the door freeze and now the heater core issue. Neither will warrant a trip back to the dealer because of the time involved and the foolish and questionable procedures a customer such as myself must endure. I refuse to play the game.

Do I curse myself as I lie upside down in a foot well while changing a heater core? You bet! Am I happy about taking a door apart to address a freeze issue that never should happen? Boy howdy does that grate my backside! But there's a balance.

I climb into my SE and head down the road. The car is comfortable. It handles and performs very well. Fuel economy is stellar and there aren't many other cars on the road I'd rather drive. This tilts the balance in favor of my SE even for her faults. Unfortunately I can't say the same for anyone who hasn't the facility or the talent to address the issues which accompany our cars.

Because of this I see the allure of a Honda or Toyota. Actually most any brand where dealerships are close by and cater to just one brand. For the average consumer it has to make more sense to purchase from a local dealer even if you happen not to like the vehicle as much as perhaps a TDI. I'd say the same for myself, except I really like the TDI and have so far been willing to accept her faults.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
The problem with your car is Political. Just drive more and worry less or just put it away for a couple of years and it will be fixed.

All cars have real mechanical problems your car will have less of those albeit they may be expensive if they arise.