2014 Touareg TDI timing belt replacement

MO Treg

TDI
2014 Touareg
So its got 110K on the odometer, does anyone have an idea when I should start thinking about having the timing belts replaced?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That engine has no timing belt.

The earlier V6 TDI does use a toothed belt to run the high pressure pump, but the later ones like the OP's run it directly off the chain drive.

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I also have a 2014 with 146K on it and I have never got an answer on this website. My VW dealer says it never needs to be replaced. It is super expensive to have done. Like 3K or more. I wish someone would comment on this for our vintage Touareg TDI.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Do you have lots of chain rattle at startup or during idle?
Have you seen evidence of slide material in your drained oil?
What's your camshaft phase position read at warm idle?

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Do you have lots of chain rattle at startup or during idle?
Have you seen evidence of slide material in your drained oil?
What's your camshaft phase position read at warm idle?
Good questions that I need to get answers to. I have no rattle when idling and a little bit when I start it from the somewhat warmed up condition. I not sure what slide material is but I don't change my own oil and have it done every 8K at a VW dealership. They have put Castrol Edge in for its full life. I will have them check the camshaft phase position on its' next service. What is the tolerance for this? I really appreciate your help and want to keep my Touareg for a long time.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The following is not actually documented in a manual or anything that I've seen, and has been gathered from other users\owners\techs based on claims made on the internet. Use at own risk.

Typically, users with more frequent OCIs, quiet chains and 100-120k on the clock report their adaptation value to be less than -5 deg.
Zero adaptation is a theoretic new chain.
Example with '14 with ~100k on it said:
IDE00182 Camshaft adaptation intake bank 1: phase position -4.15º
Some people have reported that they had chains ready to fail when they got up to 8-9deg, and some have experienced failure once up in those values.
Lots of people believe that reduced OCIs are a huge help, especially when similar "engined" OEMs like Porsche have 5k OCIs instead of the VW ones.
Slide material would be chunks of plastic that would break off your chain tensioner slides if you had all sorts of wear....

Based on what I've leaned thus far, I'd say that a healthy CNRB with ~150k on it and good timing drive should have a value approaching -5 deg.

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
The following is not actually documented in a manual or anything that I've seen, and has been gathered from other users\owners\techs based on claims made on the internet. Use at own risk.

Typically, users with more frequent OCIs, quiet chains and 100-120k on the clock report their adaptation value to be less than -5 deg.
Zero adaptation is a theoretic new chain.

Some people have reported that they had chains ready to fail when they got up to 8-9deg, and some have experienced failure once up in those values.
Lots of people believe that reduced OCIs are a huge help, especially when similar "engined" OEMs like Porsche have 5k OCIs instead of the VW ones.
Slide material would be chunks of plastic that would break off your chain tensioner slides if you had all sorts of wear....

Based on what I've leaned thus far, I'd say that a healthy CNRB with ~150k on it and good timing drive should have a value approaching -5 deg.

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
TurboABA......thanks again for your information. For a -5 deg....does that mean the valves are 5 deg out of phase with the cam timing. Stretching causing valve operation to lag cam by 5 deg?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Negative ... It's more along the line of the ecu is measuring the deviation from the theoretical perfect and is adjusting the injection parameters to compensate for the wear/stretch/deviation.