2014 TDI Jetta Sportwagen Particle Trap Bank1 & EGR faults

Mike Morriss

TDI
99 New Beetle, 91 Vanagon TDI conversion, 05 New Beetle, 2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi!
I am trying to decide on a VW dealer that has a good shop. Wichita and the Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas are about the same distance from our home. Since this repairs should be covered by warranty, I'm stuck taking it to a dealer's shop, I guess.

Here's my problem:
While driving in Wichita on the 8th of June, the CEL came on, After I got home I used my Vag Com and found the Particle Trap Bank 1 had this fault: P2002 - 007 - Efficiency Below Threshold - MIL ON
I cleared that fault and on the next trip, on the 10th of June, after having driven about 75 miles the CEL came on again.
To make a long story short, I contacted the service advisor at a dealership. He said:
it was probably just soot buildup that the car should be able to clean up on it’s own.

He said :

• Do not reset the faults
  • Drive the car with RPMs at 2500-3500 RPM, constant speed on our trip to OKC.
  • The CEL should go off if the car cleans things up.
I told him the DPF light never came on.

He said the CEL light should go off if the above doesn’t fix things.

============================

My thoughts and findings:

The fix described above is called a DPF Regeneration.

From YouTube videos,

The fix should take 15 minutes. If it doesn’t self-fix, take it to a VW dealer.

================================

I drove for nearly an hour yesterday in 4th gear, engine RPM 3050, constant speed and RPM on I-35. The CEL light never went out.

The engine faults this morning (12 June) are:

Scan 12Jn21 after driving about 75 miles at 3050 PRM
Saturday,12,June,2021,09:07:16:59242
VIN: 3VWML7AJ4EM619369 License Plate: N5JJR
Mileage: 160420km-99680mi Repair Order: 12Jn21
Chassis Type: AJ-VW36 (7N0)

VIN: 3VWML7AJ4EM619369 Mileage: 160420km-99680miles

Address 01: Engine (CJA) Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
Part No SW: 03L 997 030 D HW: 03L 907 309 AA
Component: R4 2.0l TDI G000SG 9983
Revision: 12H16--- Serial number:
Coding: 0050072
Shop #: WSC 29135 002 1048576
VCID: 2F67655EBEFA26F36A-807A

2 Faults Found:
008194 - Particulate Trap Bank 1
P2002 - 007 - Efficiency Below Threshold - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100111
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 160071 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.11.01
Time: 12:40:33

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2162 /min
Speed: 58.0 km/h
(no units): 66.3
(no units): 25.5
(no units): 1.60
Pressure: 123 mbar
Pressure: 51 mbar

001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 001 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 160152 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.11.01
Time: 18:14:25

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2001 /min
Speed: 119.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.76 V
Load: 95.7 %
Load: 100.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 360.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 355.0 mg/str

Readiness: 1 2 0 0 0

==============================

I can send the faults before I drove yesterday if that would help but I don't think the driving changed anything.

The service advisor said driving with these faults to Oklahoma City at around 3000 RPM wouldn't hurt anything and might even end up clearing the problem. I never heard of engine faults resetting themselves and other things worry me about that shop. Their service reviews on Yelp are not good at all :-(

Does what the service advisor told me sound right to you?

I'm beginning to think a 2014 TDI Jetta Sportwagen doesn't have a DPF light. What do you think?

Thanks!
Mike

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you read here you will most likely find it is a cracked dpf allowing soot to get by and gum up the egr system. Known issue. Should be covered under warranty if it is still valid and requires replacement of the dpf and egr stuff or cleaning the egr stuff maybe. Lots of posts here about it if you search for P2002.

Here you go!

Mike Morriss

TDI
If you read here you will most likely find it is a cracked dpf allowing soot to get by and gum up the egr system. Known issue. Should be covered under warranty if it is still valid and requires replacement of the dpf and egr stuff or cleaning the egr stuff maybe. Lots of posts here about it if you search for P2002.

Here you go!
Thanks SO MUCH! The VW dealer I hae decided to take the car to is 127 miles away, via an Interstate highway with speed limits of 75 mph most of the way, 70 part of the way and 60 part of the way. The service advisor told me to drive like I usually do, which would be in 6th gear, getting around 2000 RPM for most of the trip. The plan is to leave home at 7am Monday morning. I'd love to hear your thoughts about making that trip. If you need to contact me Monday, I'll probably see a reply vi this for-um or you can email me at mike@morriss.us or call or text me at 713-515-2246.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Driving it like that will not help your situation. That is to get it to regen and burn off the dpf filter. Usually clogged dpf caused by short trip driving. Your scan shows typical cracked dpf and egr clogging with soot. Don't clear the codes and take it in and help them to learn to replace the dpf and egr system as is detailed in many of the threads here. You will have to read them and have a good idea on how to explain this to them if you have to. With codes set and under warranty they have to repair it. Don't rule out having them or you contacting VWoA if needed. They have repaired/replaced a lot of these for these specific codes.

Mike Morriss

TDI
Driving it like that will not help your situation. That is to get it to regen and burn off the dpf filter. Usually clogged dpf caused by short trip driving. Your scan shows typical cracked dpf and egr clogging with soot. Don't clear the codes and take it in and help them to learn to replace the dpf and egr system as is detailed in many of the threads here. You will have to read them and have a good idea on how to explain this to them if you have to. With codes set and under warranty they have to repair it. Don't rule out having them or you contacting VWoA if needed. They have repaired/replaced a lot of these for these specific codes.
Thanks SO MUCH!!! I'll go in armed with info, thanks to you :) Yes, we do quite a bit of short trip driving. We are retired and live 5 miles out of town where the speed limit varies between 65, 55, 45, and slower. We bought the car from a VW place after the recall. Thanks again +++

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you are short trip driving it really helps to have something to help you know when regens are happening so you don't interrupt them if you can help it, in my opinion. There are multiple things that can let you see what is going on. I use an app on my android phone and a BT dongle for the OBDII port from ScanTool to use the VAGDPF app to see my regen status. Very helpful! There is a trial version and cheap China dongles that can be used for a very inexpensive solution. Or buy the best from ScanTool and use it like I do. Here is what it looks like. Upper left corner is soot mass and the range is approx 3 to 24g for a regen cycle. About every 200 miles in urban driving. This had just started a burn off and is cooking down to 3 or so.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They seem to be the gold standard out there. MX is the one I use. Tried some of the china ones long ago and they either didn't work or quit working in a short time. Bought the real deal then. Never regretted it.

Mike Morriss

TDI
They seem to be the gold standard out there. MX is the one I use. Tried some of the china ones long ago and they either didn't work or quit working in a short time. Bought the real deal then. Never regretted it.
The VAG DPF didn't work. They said my car wasn't covered :-( The OBDLink MX+people couldn't help either. They said to consult a forum, so here I am again. I think it was doing a regen a few days ago when I shut the engine off. The fans kept running. I restarted the engine and let it run for a while. The next time I shut it down the fans stopped. I'd sure love some info about all this, especially suggestions about things I should do.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Did you actually try the trial program and try different settings? Mine isn't listed either IIRC but I tried different settings until I found one that worked for me. For engine group I set mine for read from ecu. My CVCA isn't listed as supported either, but it works. APP owner is in Europe and doesn't support things here to much unless there is some Euro overlap I guess. Try it.