2014 TDI 2.0 Fuel Pump failure.

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
Yet again : I use 2 stroke in my CR and nothing explode yet ,my dpf is clean and my engine is quite happy with that .
Moving parts of pump/injectors adore oil ...

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
If ATF didn't cause harm in 400,000 km then I seriously doubt that it is so bad.

I hadn't thought about using 2 stroke oil.
2 stroke oil is meant to be burned but the most important is to lubricate our precious pumps/injectors . Ash-less is better , almost zero deposits in engine or the expensive exhaust systems but in logical ratio 2T/Diesel of course . Ash % of any ash-less 2 stroke is same with ULSD diesel , the limits are max 0.01% at both . No harm at all to engine ,actually it happens the opposite .

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
If any of you have a 2 stroke outboard boat you know that the manufacturer recommends always using ring free additive due to the 2 stroke oil burned in the engine,so if you add 2 stroke oil you will be causing your CR trouble. Carbon build up happens with burned oil in the engines.

I use PS with every fill up,but any quality lubricity product will work. I have 2 TDIs one is the 09 JSW and no trouble.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Yet again: we're confusing pre-CR VW diesels with CR VW diesels and Dodge-Cummins diesels.

They should NEVER be discussed/compared in the same sentence, or even in the same paragraph.
No one except you is "confusing" VW TDI engines with Cummins engines but the fact is that both use Bosch injection pumps and injectors.

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
No one except you is "confusing" VW TDI engines with Cummins engines but the fact is that both use Bosch injection pumps and injectors.
Not so a fact. My Tdi CR uses Delphi pump and injectors . Did i miss something ?or did you miss something?

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
If any of you have a 2 stroke outboard boat you know that the manufacturer recommends always using ring free additive due to the 2 stroke oil burned in the engine,so if you add 2 stroke oil you will be causing your CR trouble. Carbon build up happens with burned oil in the engines.

I use PS with every fill up,but any quality lubricity product will work. I have 2 TDIs one is the 09 JSW and no trouble.
This must be done to petrol 2 stroke engines right? Diesel fuel is actually an oil fuel as 2 stroke is too .

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Are you asserting that the Cummins fuel pumps are the same design and are as frail as the VW CRTDI HPFPs?

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you asserting that the Cummins fuel pumps are the same design and are as frail as the VW CRTDI HPFPs?
Are you trying to set up a straw man argument?

I made no such assertion. But it is an incontrovertible fact that Bosch manufactures the high pressure injection pumps and injectors for the Cummins 6.7 liter inline six cylinder diesel used in the Dodge Ram platform (probably all Cummins engines including the massive 15 liter or whatever otr trucks) as well as the VW TDI.

It would be ridiculous to assume that Bosch who owns the patents and has a worldwide reputation for quality would use a poor quality standard on the VW engine pump but not the Cummins.

The hundreds of thousands of TDIs in service worldwide and in the USA with well over 100,000 miles is ample testimony to the quality of TDI pumps and injectors.

I began reading an occasional whine from a VW TDI owner on the TDR forum back in 2009 or 2010 about the poor quality of VW TDI HPCR systems. Disregarding the false claims I bought a used one with 59k miles in 2011 or 2012, forget which, and put another 60k trouble free miles on it.

If the VW engines are fueled from high volume fuel retailers with clean filters and have their VW fuel filters replaced according to schedule the engines are as reliable as a Cummins engine which is legendary.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No argument, just stating the fact that the pumps are different.

Bosch asserted, in a published paper, that the expected lifespan of the VW CRTDI HPFP would be reduced to 150k miles if fed a diet of 520 HFRR diesel, which remains, AFAIK, the standard for USA diesel at the retail pump.

Drawing a comparison between the two systems (Cummins and VW) is ludicrous.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yet again: we're confusing pre-CR VW diesels with CR VW diesels and Dodge-Cummins diesels.

They should NEVER be discussed/compared in the same sentence, or even in the same paragraph.
It would be much easier if they were not "discussed/compared" within the same thread, but we know that will never happen. Here is a link to the report, my assumption, that you are referring to in your last post (#40). The graph on page 12 of the report shows a nice visual representation.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/meeting/2003/022003bosch.pdf

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
Comparing the two Bosch injection systems manufactured for different applications may be "ludicrous" or unwelcome to those with a bias against VW TDIs but you can't erase the fact that Bosch manufactured both systems.

Sometimes truth and facts get in the way of arguments some wish to make but they remain truth and facts.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
HBarlow---you seem to be conflating causation and correlation or some other logical fallacy. According to your argument: Takata has either never made a safe air bag or there should be no recall; Gm has only produced safe ignition switches or they should all be recalled. Truth and facts when not relevant to the conversation may still be truth and fact but are none the less irrelevant. This is not a problem of bias against VW TDIs but one of, though unlikely, contamination of the entire fuel system in the event that a single part fails.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Comparing the two Bosch injection systems manufactured for different applications may be "ludicrous" or unwelcome to those with a bias against VW TDIs but you can't erase the fact that Bosch manufactured both systems.

Sometimes truth and facts get in the way of arguments some wish to make but they remain truth and facts.
Bias? Not at all. I've been an avid supportive member here for 7 years.

I also participated in the early rants here re: 2009-2010 HPFP failures. I was a naysayer initially, thinking there was gross exaggeration by those with failures. However, the numbers of failures continued to rise, the rest is history. VWoA extended the warranty on certain VINs to 120k, which you might agree is small comfort for a loop system that needs total replacement after any HPFP failure: $6k.

Bosch also makes the current HPFP in the NMS Passat, but a slightly different design, with a significantly lower rate of failure (lower fuel rail pressures, different injectors, less stress on the pump).

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The Bosch CP3 family of hpfp's are legendary for their robustness. The CP4 family- not so much. The manufacturers demanded a cheaper pump than the CP3, and that's exactly what they got.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
The Bosch CP3 family of hpfp's are legendary for their robustness. The CP4 family- not so much. The manufacturers demanded a cheaper pump than the CP3, and that's exactly what they got.
Yeah, right. Please provide your evidence that VWAG "demanded a cheaper pump than the CP3, and that's exactly what they got."

The Bosch pump for Cummins engines is designed for a 6.7 liter truck engine designed to operate at full power levels for hours and provide a million mile service life. Obviously it will be a more robust design than the tiny little 2.0 liter car engine in VWs.

If the 2009 - 2010 injection pumps were so fragile and failure prone I wonder why the one in my used VW JSW with two prior owners and no CARFAX history prior to 40k miles is so durable?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A sample size of one isn't very useful. Bosch makes CP3 and CP4 hpfp's in various displacements to serve 1.6 L I4 diesels as well as 6.7 L I6 diesels. The size isn't the issue- the design is. The real problem with the CP4 isn't the failure rate so much as the consequences of the failure.