2014 Sportwagen Subframe Aluminum?

paganfx4

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I just picked a CPO 2014 sportwagen TDI DSG with 48K. After buying the car I went to do a dsg fluid change, and while replacing the fluid I saw that the front subframe was aluminum
and not steel like I thought the mk6 sportwagen was suppose to have.

Did the 2014 sportwagen have an aluminium subframe, or is this a replacement part?

The one in there looks pretty beat up too and I'm not sure if I should replace it, and if so with which one?

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
As far as I know all mk6 TDI golfs and Jetta Sportwagons (Also Golfs with a jetta name) had a Aluminum front sub-frame.

paganfx4

TDI
ATR, Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the aluminum subframe was original since most of the front end was repaired bf I got the car. For some reason the part guides pulled up the steel subframe as the replacement part.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is no such thing as an A6 wagon. The wagons are just facelifted A5s, then skipped straight to A7s in 2015.

So underneath, they are the same all the way back to 2005.5.

Keep in mind, there is not a huge difference between the A5s and A6s.

I have no idea why the forums do not make this distinction. The only A6s Volkswagens sold here are Golf hatchbacks. Even the Tiguan and Eos continued on the A5's basic underpinnings (the newest Tiggy is changed, though).

And to add further confusion, the 2011-2018 Jetta sedan is a different platform as well, commonly known as NCS, and while it does share some mechanicals with the A5/A6, it is still a very different layout with regards to the body, interior, suspension, and other systems. One of these is the steel front subframe.

paganfx4

TDI
Oil hammer, thanks for the super informative post!

I've always wondered what the differences were on the A6 wagon VS. the A5, I've read many conflicting things.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Volkswagen likes to do this, the other example we saw in this market was the Cabrio. Which came out in 1995 based on the Golf A3 platform that came out in 1993. However, the Cabrio did NOT get moved to the A4 Golf platform in 1999. It got a facelift to make it appear like the A4 Golf in 2000, but it was still all the [very different] A3 car underneath, right up until its end in 2002. There never was an A4 Golf convertible.

Other markets, mainly China, they've done this more extensively, still selling an A2 Jetta right up until just recently. But if you saw one of these you'd really have to squint to see past the slathered on headlights and grill and bumpers resembling much newer products.

But in regards to the A5/A6 differences, there really aren't much. They are all on the PQ35 underpinnings. So it really wasn't a huge change anyway. The A7 Golf jumped to the all new MQB platform, which may be the last of its kind before the EV stuff really gets pushed through, if that ever happens.