2014 Sportwagen prolong crank starts

scow1

TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI deleted, rawtek turbo back exhaust, neuspeed tubo discharge pipe, cr170 turbo, Malone stage 3 tune and trans tune 56k miles on the OD. Starting to notice last year of prolong starts. If I turn the key let glow plugs light turn off and try cranking its could be a 5-8 second crank before it fires. If I do a glow plug cycle on off back on it seems to be less cranking before it fires. I do get a puff of white smoke when it does fire. Once the car is running no issues with starting. Almost seems like I am losing fuel pressure over night. Replaced battery last year and replace the fuel filter every year. Im at a loss and just seeing if anyone has had this issue an what they did to fix it. I do have VCDS if needed. Thanks for the help!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My 2010 Golf TDI (stock) does it on the first start of the day intermittently as the weather gets warmer and it does it most of the time on the first start of the day when the weather gets hot. It just recently started doing it now that it's warm again. Mine starts fine when it's cold. There are other threads about it. I think it's an oil pressure thing as mentioned in some posts. At the TDIClub FAQ page I also read this, "The modified oil circuit provides faster oil pressure build up, particularly during cold starts."
TDIClub TDIFAQ

I tried some other things, but this works for me. When it gets warm, instead of churning for lots of cycles, if I turn it off after a couple of turns it seems it fires right up on the first restart. I don't like letting it churn. I like when it fires right up as usual!

Last edited:

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Try waiting a few seconds after the glow plugs cycle, especially in the morning. I've had to wait in the morning now for years, pre- and post-delete. If I try to crank right after the gp light goes off, it acts just like you're describing.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Mine is stock and does the same in warm weather but it's fine when it's cold... it seems like it's just one of those things with these engines, stock or deleted. It's annoying but it doesn't seem to hurt anything

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
My stage 3 A3 occasionally does the same, a 5 second crank. I concur that its likely just a quirk

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
I used to have similar cranking issues but after putting in a CP3 fuel pump it starts up almost instantly now without fail. So I agree that the issue is likely small fuel rail pressure drain occuring on some seal and the CP4 single piston takes a few seconds to rebuild it.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
I'll add, I've had to delay cranking pre- and post-hpfp repair as well.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Above I said my 2010 Golf TDI is stock because I'm not tuned and deleted like the OP. But I have a CP3 pump and I get the longer cranking time on the first start of the day when the weather gets warmer. I do not think it's fuel delivery, although initially I thought that might be the issue. If it was fuel delivery, then I think it would also do it when the weather is cold. Mine starts immediately when it's cold, even on the first start of the day.

Regardless of the cause, instead of churning for lots of cycles, if I turn it off after a couple of turns it seems it fires right up on the first restart. I don't like letting it churn. I like when it fires right up as usual!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It was a little chilly this morning, 53°F, and my car started on the first crank of the day after not being driven for 2 days!

For me, the one thing I'm certain about is the longer cranks on the first start of the day are related to the temperature.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
My '12 CJAA has this issue when stock & remained post tune. I usually cycle the key 2x and it starts quicker. My suspicion was fuel pressure loss that took a bit to build back up. Until this thread, I had not given it much thought or looked into it further.

scow1

TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
My 2010 wagen never had this issue, same parts that I moved over to the 2014 wagen. It just seems like it started some time last year. The double glow plug cycle normally starts its right up. It seems alof of people have the same issue but have just dealt with the problem, while others have thown parts at it and still have the same issue.