2014 SEL CPO -50k vs 2014 SEL 117kA

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Okay as the above states I'm looking @ both cars @ dealerships. As you can imagine there's a not insignificant $7k difference in price between the two. I know the "peace of mind" attributed to a CPO warranty means something, but then again, given that this will be my 5th diesel I'm not terribly afraid of going with a non CPO unit, given they're the same top of the line model if they drive similarly.

So is the CPO warranty [and approx 70k less miles/wear and tear] worth the additional $$?? Are the basic components e.g. A?C, alternator, DSG, sunroof etc. etc. are any of those overly problematic? And yes I know there are no absolutes and experiences and cars vary.

Thanks for the input!

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I expected a difference, $7000 is more than I expected. Both vw dealerships or vw vs tiny lot? I bought mine with 50k, but i knew the car as it belonged to the company i worked for and i had driven it for half of the 50k. I still had to replace the heater core, timing belt & water pump, and injector seals by 60,000 miles. My concern would be the same items, but heater core is under extended warranty until 120k, timing belt is due at 130k anyway. Have you checked the carfax to see if there is any record of dsg services on the 117k car? Did it just have the modification done? Then you will have roughly 51000 miles of emissions warranty.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I think 1000 per 10000 miles less would be worth it to me. Since i drive 10000 miles a year, I'd get 7 years more use for 7000. Just my thinking...

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Blue Beetle and Thundershorts! Both are at large established VW dealerships in SoCal!
I bought 3 carfaxes and have 1 left which I was going to run on the 117k Passat but I'm waiting on a link to change my password b/c my laptop crashed and for some reason it won't take my old one.

RANT: This happened on Thursday, and I reported it and got the obligatory "We're here to help and will get back to you soon" bs and guess what?!? It's Sunday and NOTHING. So I replied again to the auto generated email and told them how professional it was of a multi million dollar company to get back to me so soon J/K. Way to go Carfax!! I'm hoping that'll get their attention but I'll probably get a passive aggressive non-response and I won't hear from them until next month! Anybody else had the slow response problem with CarFux?

So it looks like heater cores, and injector seals are common problem areas?!? I knew about the timing belt service interval and always do the who kitten kabotal of H20 pump, belt tensioner, serpentine and whatever else is prudent when all is torn apart! What are the symptoms fore each Beetle?

I see and appreciate your logic Thunder!!

I'm planning on checking both out this week on different days as one dealership is 100 miles to my south and the other 120 miles WNW of me.

I'll keep y'all posted!

Edit: I can't believe my 06 Jetta TDI w/234k is only worth $1650.00. I went through all my receipts since 2017 at my Guru place and I've spent over $3k since then lol?!? New glow plugs, new auxiliary cooling fan, routine oil & filter changes @ 7.5 k, A/C Freon replenishment, brakes, and most recently in August a brand new steering wheel key assembly as it was giving me trouble releasing the key and then it totally wouldn't one day! Luckily I was near Top Notch and swung in and Aaron kinda laughed and said it was a known problem and I was a lucky guy b/c sometime sit happens in the grocery store parking lot and gets stuck in the "off" position and won't let you start it so it has to be towed! That's not to mention newer General AS08s and the Malone stage 2 tune, which btw I saw 150 HP and 257 pounds feet of torque on my Ultragauge one day when I hammered it!

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
With 70k less miles, it would probably bring more than twice that. Over two hundred thou is a plateau, people are getting used to 150-175k on used cars.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to mention it has TDI Cup suspension also FWIW

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Heater core is simple, passenger side of vehicle blows cold air. Injector seals - top of the valve cover looked wet.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes in fact I actually called and had a helpful conversation with another salesman as today was my salesman's one day off for the week!
The car was originally sold @ Mossy in Escondido. Looks like it's had the two "dieselgate" fixes so that's good. Had a new turbo installed @ 55k; then new intake manifold and heater core @ 81k. All oil changes are shown @ around the 10k mark so that's good too [although one shows Pep Boys and am wondering if they put the proper VW certified oil in!]. There is though an 24k gap from 93k to the current 117k where no oil change is shown!!] YIKES! The current dealer did do the Oil and filter change b4 putting it up for sale according to Carfax.

The only thing I don't see is any DSG services, which as you know is @ 40K, so i should have had 2 and is coming up on a 3rd @ 120k; that's concerning to me for sure as they're $6k should they fail!!:eek:.

I'm going to go drive it tomorrow or Wednesday, then check the CPO the next day. It will be a good test of how solid they are @ 117k vis a vis the 40ki one! and if there's a discernible difference. Should be an interesting week that's for sure!!

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, looks like tomorrow is the day as the 117k is awaiting an AC compressor to be delivered from Germany.
Saturday should be fun!