2014 Q5 TDI (CPNB) Thermostat Question

arjax

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 allroad TDI BHW swap 6spd code GLX, 2014 Q5 3.0L TDI
During some research to replace the water pump, I was curious about the coolant thermostat. Am I understanding it correctly that you cannot just replace the thermostat but instead you have replace the whole oil filter housing?

TIA

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
When you look at the housing, you can clearly see that the T-stat is "bolted in", however, it appears that you cannot buy it by itself.
I can't see a part number for it either in ETKA, so you may be out of luck on trying to replace it only....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Even if you could, it would be dumb, because the plastic breaks inside where it holds the seals. THAT is why they get replaced, NOT because of a failed thermostat. Same as all the EA888 water pump housings, same as all the CKRA oil filter housings, same as all the 5 cyl oil filter housings.

arjax

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 allroad TDI BHW swap 6spd code GLX, 2014 Q5 3.0L TDI
Thanks for confirming. Do those thermostats fail often? I am getting items together to do the serp belt, tenstion, pulleys, and water pump and was wondering if that should be done at the same time.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Just replace the whole oil filter housing/t-stat assy at once. I've got the dreaded coolant/oil leak in the valley due to leaking oil cooler seals. I pulled the oil filter housing for easier intake manifold removal, and was planning to replace the oil filter housing seals. However the larger seal has a smaller concentric t-stat seal attached to it. Problem is if you remove the t-stat to install the new seal, you wind up yanking the two wires out of the housing and (best I can tell) there's no way to put them back in place once they're out.