2014 Passat turn signal wire at the headlight harness connection

JEMB7

TDI
2014 SEL Premium
I installed LED's for the front turn signals, which were supposed to have the built in resistor for the flashing issue, and for buss recognition, but they still fail. This is the second set I've tried, so I decided to purchase the resistors and connect them at the harness that connects to the headlight assembly.
I've found two different pin out descriptions for that connector. One says that pin 9 is the turn signal, and another pin 10. I've put a meter on the wires and it appears to be pin 9, but before I do any splicing in of a resistor, I'd like to be sure.
Does anyone have a diagram showing which would be the correct wire on the harness side of the headlight connection for both headlights? Thank-you!

JEMB7

TDI
2014 SEL Premium
I'm certainly not intending to be impatient, but I had hoped for help on this by now.
Is there somewhere else I should ask this question. I had hoped that someone here had prints or schematics on the wiring of this model year Passat. I've looked for the wiring, came across a site which had wiring diagrams, but not table of contents... I've scrolled through the entire file with no luck on what I'm looking for.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you...

JEMB7

TDI
2014 SEL Premium
Thank-you for your reply PLC Geek. That's the site that I mentioned (but didn't name) in my comment.

It is definitely a massive amount of data and prints, but with no table of contents, it's quite an ordeal trying to find what you are looking for. I did scan through everything a couple of times but did not find anything for the headlight wiring harness.

I live on a hobby farm in the middle of nowhere, so I really don't have a dealer close by that I could get help from either, and just purchased this car in January from a dealer about 175 miles away.

Maybe the table of contents was just a glitch in my download? If so, if someone else here has downloaded it and has it I would really appreciate a copy or additional advice?

Last edited:

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
My 2012 wiring diagram is arranged a bit different, but the wire colours are the same and both use pin 10 for the turn signal.

Yours
Vern

JEMB7

TDI
2014 SEL Premium
So it's probably safe to assume that since my model year is between each of yours, mine should be similar. I'll give that a try. I feel better about taking a chance with this info... thanks!!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I installed LED's for the front turn signals, which were supposed to have the built in resistor for the flashing issue, and for buss recognition, but they still fail. This is the second set I've tried, so I decided to purchase the resistors and connect them at the harness that connects to the headlight assembly.
I've found two different pin out descriptions for that connector. One says that pin 9 is the turn signal, and another pin 10. I've put a meter on the wires and it appears to be pin 9, but before I do any splicing in of a resistor, I'd like to be sure.
Does anyone have a diagram showing which would be the correct wire on the harness side of the headlight connection for both headlights? Thank-you!
I think in programming you can set that you have led bulbs. I had to do this in my jsw.

JEMB7

TDI
2014 SEL Premium
Thank-you for the idea Divine Chaos.... I checked my manual, and looked through the car menu, but didn't find anything specified on that.... I may have missed something, and I'll check things out again, but first glance on things, the Passat may have different programming (or model year difference?).
That would be a great way to fix this issue as opposed to having to get into the wiring.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thank-you for the idea Divine Chaos.... I checked my manual, and looked through the car menu, but didn't find anything specified on that.... I may have missed something, and I'll check things out again, but first glance on things, the Passat may have different programming (or model year difference?).
That would be a great way to fix this issue as opposed to having to get into the wiring.
Programming with vcds. Easiest fix is put an oe bulb back it. I installed name brand high quality direct fit low beam led bulbs. I still get the bulb out notification untill they turn on, and they flicker. Not like on and off, like a noticable refresh rate

JEMB7

TDI
2014 SEL Premium
I do have the VCDS, so I'll take a look at that too.
The turn signals do work just fine as turn signals, but when the headlights are on the turn signal lights are on full time and after warming up, will flicker.... the left does much more so than the right, and most times when I first start the vehicle the error for both front turn signals comes on. After activating each of them one time, the error does not come back as long as the vehicle stays running.
The flickering is quite noticeable, even with the headlights on, and when I pull into the garage at night it is pretty obvious on the walls..... so it has to be annoying to on-coming traffic, and if I happen to accidentally be exceeding the speed limit :cool: .... I wouldn't want to catch the attention of someone who may not appreciate either offense.
It would be great if the VCDS takes care of that, but if not, I feel comfortable tapping into the wire harnesses.
I appreciate your help!