2014 Passat TDI fuel range frozen

mattmartinolc

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Just bought a 2014 Passat TDI a couple days ago. Everything is working great. Except yesterday suddenly my gauge that tells me how much further I can drive before a fillup seems stuck on 650km and does not move. My trip also seemed to reset to 0.0 by itself around the same time. Is this a quirk of the car that I am unaware of? And how to reset the computer .. would disconnecting the battery for a bit trip it?

mattmartinolc

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Is the battery in good condition?
Seems to be. I just disconnected it for a few mins on my lunch then reconnected it. Then it suddenly said 540km. Took it to top up the fuel and now says 630km which is far short of what I should get on a tank. Perhaps its averaging out based on the driving I have done so far?

mattmartinolc

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
OK so for example when I get a 4 hour highway drive this friday after work, It will tell me a higher number all of a sudden. Good to know I thought something was wrong because it suddenly went from 1060 to 650 and then suddenly 540 etc. I thought something was wrong.

mattmartinolc

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Nope nothing wrong with it. Your not the first to question it, my wife had the same issue when she got her golf.
I just finished checking over and test driving a 13 passat Tdi for one of my customers yesterday. it's a pretty sweet car, like it more than my jetta especially for quietness but feels a heavier car.
Enjoy your car, don't worry so much.
Makes sense actually. When I bought it I had to do an hour drive to get it. And when I filled it I got a 1060 number. Then since been doing some shorter trips. Just didn't really think it would change so drastically.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You mentioned your tripometer resetting to 0. That's often caused by low voltage, which would likely scramble the other readings as well. Guessing this will work itself out.

mattmartinolc

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
You mentioned your tripometer resetting to 0. That's often caused by low voltage, which would likely scramble the other readings as well. Guessing this will work itself out.
I probably caused it when I was trying to find a fuse that stayed hot with the ignition off to hook up my dash cam