2014 Passat TDI for sale, $3500, needs engine, otherwise clean

rjrsr

TDI
Passat
Mechanics Special. Clean title. Great body and interior. Car needs a new heart, but otherwise great shape in and out. Bought new and loved it until we had diesel-gate mod done at 115k miles. Turbo blew up and destroyed engine at 118k miles. VW replaced it on their dime. New engine went 68k miles with no more issues. Loved it. Favorite car ever. Then got the double lasso diesel engine malfunction light of death a couple weeks ago. Took it in right away, now apparently done-zo, VW dealership quoted $12k to fix. Hilarious. The warranty on their replacement engine was 48k miles or Oct 21. I had 68k on it, so I lose. VW not helping with a penny. Done with them forever. Starts, drives in limp mode only, no turbo, 25mph or less. Sold to the first $3,500. Currently at Fox VW dealership in Rochester Hills MI. The only exterior issue bigger than a dime is front bumper (plastic) broken down low. Plastic dust cover under the engine / under the car is gone. Interior is clean. Looks new still. Drove new....until it didn't. Very upset and sad that this happened. I wanted to drive this car for another 250k miles. The way it was handled by VW makes it impossible for me to ever give them another dime. Ever. They charged me $130 for the diagnostic / death sentence just this morning. Done. VIN 1VWBN7A31EC010793 FB Marketplace listing with pics here.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Only if this was a 6M, perhaps

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
that stinks! I had a 2015 Passat that lost a motor at 106K. I had an oil leak, got on belt. belt came off, sucked into timing cover, skipped timing belt, bounced valves and ruined the motor. They put a brand new turbo on the brand new motor as they thought the oil had been contaminated with metal and would or did damage the turbo. It has 225K on it now and still going strong. Stinks to hear about your situation.

rjrsr

TDI
Passat
sold for $2900 to a tech who is going to do an engine swap and give to his college-aged daughter. at least it will get more good use. bought an '09 Camry to replace it. thanks for nothing vw.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Thanks for nothing? Didn't they already buy you an engine outside of warranty once? Sounds like they were pretty generous already.

rjrsr

TDI
Passat
Incorrect. Completely ignoring the fact they lied and cheated..said it would get 42 mpg, which it did until they were caught cheating and had to modify it to 34 mpg...completely nullifying the reason behind going with a TDI. Besides all that.....They replaced the original engine when it blew out at 118k miles, within the 120k mi warranty. That replacement engine went 68K miles before it blew out. They only had a 48K on the replacement, and elected to do NOTHING to help. We even suggested they could move some of the cost into a new car that we would be open to purchase if they were willing to budge even an inch to help us a few grand...they could have thrown part of the cost of repairs on a new vehicle. They chose to do nothing to help. Called their customer service dept, which is just a legal dept. They read you the reasons why they don't have to stand by their products, there is no customer service being provided. Thanks for nothing VW. I'll stick to Ford, Honda, and Toyota, thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The original powertrain warranty was most certainly not to 120k miles. I worked for Volkswagen when it was the longest it had ever been, before or since, and that was 10 years/100k miles. They extended the turbocharger warranty to 120k miles, because some were failing prematurely. But that was just the turbo... and I suspect if yours failed, and you took out the engine because of it, that is why they went ahead and did that for you. I get you have sour grapes, and I can tell you horror stories from every brand if you have the time, I work on all of them. I agree that it sucks, and I agree it should not have been so troublesome for you (this is, in part, why I choose to drive the older ones, because I have no worries about any of that, and I have never needed a warranty.... standard or extended...for anything). Good luck moving forward, I wish the best for you. I'll still be here.

rjrsr

TDI
Passat
Thanks, I appreciate that, and don't disagree with you. Yes, it was an extended warranty of 120k for a known defect, but it was warranty work. I didn't want a new engine, I liked the one I had. They had to take out the engine because the turbo exploded and sent shrapnel through the engine...that's what they said, I'm no car surgeon. I do have sour grapes, no doubt. Up until this, I was a big VW and TDI fan, and I understand why you and millions of others will "be here" / stay fans. VW chose to not lift a finger. Not a bit. So on principle, VW is dead to me. To your point on older ones, this was the first new car we bought new (wife's decision). We have always bought 3-8 years old... because buying new is for suckers. Another case in point. I didn't need the lesson, and the wife won't learn from this one. lol. Thanks for the feedback and God Bless.

es7129

TDI
2014 JSW DSG
Thanks for nothing? Didn't they already buy you an engine outside of warranty once? Sounds like they were pretty generous already.
The engine is covered under the dieselgate warranty; 4/48 from the time of the fix.
VW didn’t give him anything he wasn’t entitled to.

es7129

TDI
2014 JSW DSG
Mechanics Special. Clean title. Great body and interior. Car needs a new heart, but otherwise great shape in and out. Bought new and loved it until we had diesel-gate mod done at 115k miles. Turbo blew up and destroyed engine at 118k miles. VW replaced it on their dime. New engine went 68k miles with no more issues. Loved it. Favorite car ever. Then got the double lasso diesel engine malfunction light of death a couple weeks ago. Took it in right away, now apparently done-zo, VW dealership quoted $12k to fix. Hilarious. The warranty on their replacement engine was 48k miles or Oct 21. I had 68k on it, so I lose. VW not helping with a penny. Done with them forever. Starts, drives in limp mode only, no turbo, 25mph or less. Sold to the first $3,500. Currently at Fox VW dealership in Rochester Hills MI. The only exterior issue bigger than a dime is front bumper (plastic) broken down low. Plastic dust cover under the engine / under the car is gone. Interior is clean. Looks new still. Drove new....until it didn't. Very upset and sad that this happened. I wanted to drive this car for another 250k miles. The way it was handled by VW makes it impossible for me to ever give them another dime. Ever. They charged me $130 for the diagnostic / death sentence just this morning. Done. VIN 1VWBN7A31EC010793 FB Marketplace listing with pics here.
Is the double lasso of death you’re referring to the flashing glow plugs light?

es7129

TDI
2014 JSW DSG
Thanks, I appreciate that, and don't disagree with you. Yes, it was an extended warranty of 120k for a known defect, but it was warranty work. I didn't want a new engine, I liked the one I had. They had to take out the engine because the turbo exploded and sent shrapnel through the engine...that's what they said, I'm no car surgeon. I do have sour grapes, no doubt. Up until this, I was a big VW and TDI fan, and I understand why you and millions of others will "be here" / stay fans. VW chose to not lift a finger. Not a bit. So on principle, VW is dead to me. To your point on older ones, this was the first new car we bought new (wife's decision). We have always bought 3-8 years old... because buying new is for suckers. Another case in point. I didn't need the lesson, and the wife won't learn from this one. lol. Thanks for the feedback and God Bless.
The fixed cars have predominantly become highway queens. A lot of folks having multiple DPF failures from only city driving.