2014 Passat Splash Guards - Installed.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hello, everyone:

Purchased some cheap splash guards off eBay for my 2014 Passat TDI SEL and just installed them. Wanted to get your opinion on installation - when getting the front ones installed, I could easily install them ON TOP of the wheel well plastic or I could place the mud guard below the plastic liner. I felt that placing it underneath would reduce the chance that water and dirt would collect in the mud guard (just like a roof, where top shingle is always above the bottom to ensure water does not get inside). The back system does not allow for similar installation, so I had to place it on top (which kind of worries me). These Chinese splash guards seems to have been designed in such a way that they have a groove structure inside the flap - if water gets in, it stays there like in a tub with no drainage halls. So I drilled 2 holes on the bottom (can only see them if you're under the flap) - in which case when water gets into one of flap's grooves, it will drain out through these holes instead of sitting there. Hope that will reduce corrosion risk. Is there anyone here who had these mud flaps installed from factory? Are both front and back flaps attached on top of the plastic wheel well cover or somehow tucked inside, like I did for the front? Any suggestions in my case?

Front:

Rear:

Link to the actual item I purchased:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIT-FOR-201...2014|Model:Passat&hash=item485f69bf0f&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I have the OE splashguards and I believe they are mounted like this.

I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Thanks a lot! Look forward to seeing them. I washed my car last night and the drilled holes seem to work by draining any collected water. I hope the splash guards will actually help instead of being a place where all dirt and mud collect between car and the inside groove. So far the road dust has deposited on the lower part of guard instead of the car body. So pretty good investment, it seems. ��

Deepwater6

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium
Turn the wheel so we can see please.....and a shot from the back/rear would be good too!

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
My dealer installed the OEM splash guards on my Passat before I even bought the car, and I love them! Not only do they look excellent on the car, but they keep the sides of the car cleaner and protect the sides from slung rocks. They look very similar to yours. In fact, briefly looking at your pictures, they look pretty much identical, even installation-wise. Looks like you have them installed correctly just like the OEM ones.

That said, all of these these molded splash guards WILL slowly trap crud in between the guards and the paint, but I'm not going to worry about it. So what if it scratches the finish underneath? I'm never going to take them off anyways. I like them too much!:D

kenners

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup - Traded in 2- 2014 Passat's
I installed front and rear splash guards on my 2 day old Passat yesterday. The most time consuming part was removing the wheels. VW kit comes with all the screws/fasteners needed and picture directions. Easy install.