2014 JSW Tdi - Door Handle Sensor for Lock and Unlock Not Working

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
As the subject line says - the thumb sensor to lock, and the "fingers-in-the-handle" to unlock has stopped working for both front doors. The key fob buttons still work as they should. Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas what the problem is or how to fix?

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
VCDS (or equivalent) scan ? I believe this is controlled by the BCM J519 (VCDS Address 09). --g

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Update - I have also noticed that I see a "Keyless Defective" msg in the MFI for a few seconds after before starting the car. Then the message extinguishes after a second or two once started. Has anyone else seen this?

Last edited:

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
One of the first things I did was to put fresh batteries in the key FOBs. Problem persiste with both FOBs.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
yep - time to get out the laptop and start pulling some codes. I am clumsy at best with the Ross-Tech software, but will give it a shot and report back what I find.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well just remember, OBD is three things: 1: the ECU in question's ability to flag something wrong and set a DTC, which can typically point you in a specific direction and narrow some things down, and 2: the availability of data to allow you to "see" what the computer sees, and 3: some bidirectional controlling ability that allows you to force something to see if an action takes place.

So if a DTC isn't set, don't give up hope and stop there. Go on and avail yourself of the other items OBD gives you. It may take some more sleuthing, but can often get you to a resolution.

Quick example: sometimes the L or R turn signal circuit will either not work, or stick on, on some A4 era cars. This is all controlled through the Comfort Convenience Module (CCM). The CCM has OBD, and I can go in and check much of the effected stuff right through there, with my laptop via the DLC under the dash. I can see the CCM's input from the turn signal switch, the hazard light switch, etc. It greatly reduces the amount of time chasing wires and such, because I *know* whether or not the switch is doing its job without doing anything else.