2014 JSW road trip report

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Just completed an over 2000 mile road trip within 8 days; Richmond VA to Charleston SC to Tampa FL, back to Charleston then home to Richmond. Car ran (sort of) flawlessly except for the following.

Overall, the car was a pleasure in which to trip. I am used to a much bigger car, a 35 year old Benz, but the JSW was a surprisingly comfortable cruiser. Fuel economy was between 38 to 41 mpg (indicated) at highway speeds with a/c running full time in the 90 deg plus heat and a load consisting of myself, wife and lots of luggage so I am pleased with that. My general mileage to work and around my rural location is 45mpg.

I did get a PO401 Code (EGR Insufficient Flow) three times during the trip. It had no apparent effect on running and reset easily using my OB2 scanner but came back twice after hundreds of miles for no apparent reason. I was looking forward to taking it to my local VW dealer under warranty upon getting home but on the last leg of the trip it reset itself without my intervention. The scanner now shows no pending codes so it would be a waste of time going to the dealership.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks Turbo. The CEL has not returned yet. I will get the local VW dealer to check for ECM flashes and that TSB accomplishment. I did not buy the car from them but they have been very helpful and I'm sure they can check it out using the VIN.

Joy; no photos taken.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
PO401 returned on my way to work this morning. VW is closed today (Labor Day) but I will stop in on my way home tomorrow to see what I can see.

Watch this space! .... or should I start a new thread for this issue? What say you?

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
VW dealer has scheduled me for a repair appointment tomorrow. It will be fixed under warranty. They pulled up the car's history and found that the TSB you referenced had not been done.

This is a great dealership. No hassle and very supportive although they know I did not purchase the car there. It is Safford VW in Fredericksburg Virginia. Years ago I bought a Dodge Ram pickup from their Dodge dealership (1987) and they were the same.

I'll report when done.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I bought my first
VW dealer has scheduled me for a repair appointment tomorrow. It will be fixed under warranty. They pulled up the car's history and found that the TSB you referenced had not been done.

This is a great dealership. No hassle and very supportive although they know I did not purchase the car there. It is Safford VW in Fredericksburg Virginia. Years ago I bought a Dodge Ram pickup from their Dodge dealership (1987) and they were the same.

I'll report when done.
I bought my first Tdi from them, a 2002 blue Jetta w/leather, back in 2004.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Sounds like you're getting a new DPF if it's taking this long... even nicer.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Turbo; since you are following so closely: Did not get the car back today. All parts are in including DPF but tech said some fasteners are frozen so he wants to soak them overnight to minimize danger of breakage.

I think this is a good shop. When I am told things like this I believe they actually GAS.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
O.K. Turbo. They replaced DPF, a couple of pipes and a "control box" (?) No charge to me. I also asked the tech to look at my timing belt. He said no problem. Check again at 120k miles.

I'm going to write a letter to corporate in appreciation of exemplary customer service. When warranty is up, I still think I'll go back to Benz though.

End of report.