2014 JSW - DPF / EGR Delete w/ Malone Stage 2 Tune

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Just finished installing the BuzzKen DPF / EGR Delete. Some of my notes and observations.

Installation was very straight forward. I followed the DFP removal instructions from the Rawtech site. I removed the passenger side driveshaft to allow for more room to work. I also removed the exhaust tunnel heat shield to keep from tearing the aluminum shield during the DPF removal. This allowed plenty of room for the DPF removal and I did not need to lower the subframe. Installation of the BuzzKen header was very simple - fit was perfect. I opted for the cat delete but added the resonator option. The car is not any louder than original.

The Malone Tune 2.0 was also very simple and without complications. I emailed Malone support a few times before getting started just to make sure I understood the procedure for uploading the original tune and downloading the new tune and then uploading to the car. Malone always responded quickly and confirmed the procedure so I was quite comfortable prior to the install - then I just followed the procedure.

I spent two evenings working on the car after work - so all in, about 12 hours (6 long hours each night). But I do work slow and clean as I go. Made sure I taped / sealed all abandoned electrical connections and tucked away so they are not visible. As a finishing touch, I installed an ECS Tuning, Aluminum Street Shield Tunnel Brace which completely covers the exhaust tunnel so no one can see the new system. The ECS website says it does not fit the JSW TDi - but I can assure you, it fits like a glove.

The diesel exhaust smell is indeed present and quite strong when engine is cold started - as the car warms up, the smell becomes more moderate. I am a diesel driver from way back to the B4 Passat diesels and Peugeot diesels before that - so I knew what I was getting myself into. To be clear - there is no diesel exhaust odor inside the car with windows up and AC on - only noticeable if outside the car (or obviously if window are down).

Will start driving the car to work this week - will report back about driving experience and fuel mileage.

Last edited:

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I'm getting ready to go down this road. Looking forward to hearing how this works for you.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
So far, I am really enjoying the improved drivability. Car has lots of power, idle is smooth, and does not cut off if you happen to lug the engine at low RPM. Have only put 100 miles, so no fuel mileage report yet. But two thumbs up so far.

Next will be the removal of the exhaust gas cooler located on the back of the engine block, just below the turbo. And then removal of the EGR valve, on the front of the engine - and replace with a "race" pipe.

I will continue to post significant updates on this thread.

JSWTDI

TDI
JSW
What the part number of the ECS tuning Aluminum Street Shield Tunnel Brace that fit the JSW TDI ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would not remove the EGR stuff, even though it is not working anymore. The standard (low pressure) EGR valve allows the use of the intake throttle flap for smooth shutdowns. Without it, they shake pretty bad at shut down, and these already are proving to have fragile engine harnesses. That won't help.

The rear (high pressure) EGR valve and cooler are just along for the ride, and removing it will mean you'll have to figure out how to change some coolant plumbing. Since none of the CR engines did NOT have this cooler (unlike older VE TDIs), there is not an easy factory type solution for this. So you run the risk of having something rub and leak or whatever. I've looked into this, and as of yet not found a nice solution I feel would fit and work properly and look good.

My experience with the DPF/catalyst delete and mild tune has shown not only excellent driveability but improved fuel economy AND the soot loading of the oil is GREATLY reduced. Even after 10k miles, the oil filter looks so clean you can read the printing on the element when you take it out.

One of my customers (2011 Sportwagon, DSG, 180k+ miles) is getting 57 MPG on the highway at moderate speeds, with a low level power tune and a straight pipe all the way out the back (Buzzken).

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
The standard (low pressure) EGR valve allows the use of the intake throttle flap for smooth shutdowns. Without it, they shake pretty bad at shut down, and these already are proving to have fragile engine harnesses.
Thanks for the heads up...In looking at the configuration, I am thinking that the removal of the EGR component will still allow the Intake Throttle Flap assembly to remain in place. They appear to be two different components. Am I incorrect with that?

Regarding the cooler, I have found a nice section section of 3/4" heater hose in the shape of a "U", that are used in general automotive applications for heater core removals. I am thinking just to loop the coolant back, once the exhaust cooler is removed. Agreed, no real benefit there, just removal of an unused component.

[Edit - I did not need to use the heater hose shaped like a U, I just used a straight section of 3/4" heater hose to connect one side of the heater core to where the EGR cooler connected, it is almost at straight connection. I put a slight bend in the hose to give it some flex as the engine vibrates. Perfect fit.]

Last edited:

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Update - I replaced the EGR Valve, and it is indeed separate from the Throttle Flap. The car does run well and highway mileage is improved quite a bit, around town mileage a little - will post some numbers in the next few weeks.

I did want to caution folks about a vender selling TDI EGR delete pipes.

The vender is called TDI Upgrades.com and this is a link to the site https://www.tdiupgrades.com/ . The quality of the EGR pipe is horrible. The flanges do not line up with the corresponding mating surfaces. So much so that, part of the o-ring seal on the VW flange, is left uncovered making a horrible seal. I have attached pictures below. I have sent this vendor two emails and he has not replied. I will be looking for a different part part so if anyone knows of a quality part - please let me know.

Last edited:

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Damn... I just ordered this from that guy. He lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan, I believe. I wonder if he has ever been to the GTG over in Cedar Tuckey? (Kirk B's house).

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Not sure - I can just tell you he does not stand behind what he sells. Sent him several emails inquiring about a solution. No reply. He also sells a cast aluminum part that I was hoping would be a better fit, but he never replied to my inquiries. So I will continue to look for a proper fitting EGR replacement. I just don't have much patience for folks that pass off crappy product and then don't want to deal with the fall out - too much of this in the aftermarket parts industry. He is a "one and done" vendor...

Last edited:

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I have. It's really nice.

That rubber cup it comes with is meant to cover the airbox hot air inlet

Nickjmiller

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hello sir! I’m fairly new to this forum as well as to owning a TDI. I’m in the process of deleting my 2014 passat tdi as well. And I’m stuck at a certain point and don’t have correct instructions. When you disconnected the wiring and O2 sensor under the car, how many and what wires did you leave under that plastic cover? So far I’ve removed the o2 sensor and the sensor it plugged into. And now I got I believe 2-3 wires left over. Are those the ones I should seal up and tuck under and secure under the plastic cover? Just making sure I do this right.
Thank you!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hello sir! I’m fairly new to this forum as well as to owning a TDI. I’m in the process of deleting my 2014 passat tdi as well. And I’m stuck at a certain point and don’t have correct instructions. When you disconnected the wiring and O2 sensor under the car, how many and what wires did you leave under that plastic cover? So far I’ve removed the o2 sensor and the sensor it plugged into. And now I got I believe 2-3 wires left over. Are those the ones I should seal up and tuck under and secure under the plastic cover? Just making sure I do this right.
Thank you!
The only sensors needed are the egt sensor and the oxygen sensor in your downpipe. There's 2 more on your dpf, another temp sensor under your car, and your exhaust flap. I'll have to look at mine. I believe it was just the 2 underneath. I should pull them up to the engine bay, but they are just tucked up underneath. Make sure the ones by the turbo are tied back. One of mine melted to the turbo and caused random eronious codes and limp mode that took a bit to figure out.

fin reaper

TDI
2006 Jetta; 2011 JSW
One of my customers (2011 Sportwagon, DSG, 180k+ miles) is getting 57 MPG on the highway at moderate speeds, with a low level power tune and a straight pipe all the way out the back (Buzzken).
Hey Oilhammer, what was the low level tune on the vehicle you referred too? I'm trying to decide which tune to go with and of course anything over 0.5 Malone is suggested/required to have the dsg tuned as well. Just curious to help me decide 0.5 or above.

Thanks!

Last edited:

fin reaper

TDI
2006 Jetta; 2011 JSW
Damn... I just ordered this from that guy. He lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan, I believe. I wonder if he has ever been to the GTG over in Cedar Tuckey? (Kirk B's house).
Hey InfoSec, did the EGR delete you received from TDI Upgrades fit any better than the pictures in this thread posted by Mike?

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Thank you!
Sent you a PM.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Hey Oilhammer, what was the low level tune on the vehicle you referred too? I'm trying to decide which tune to go with and of course anything over 0.5 Malone is suggested/required to have the dsg tuned as well. Just curious to help me decide 0.5 or above.

Thanks!
My experience with tuned TDI's started in 2004 with my first one. The higher the tune the better the fuel mileage if you drive with the mind set of getting good fuel mileage.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
My experience with tuned TDI's started in 2004 with my first one. The higher the tune the better the fuel mileage if you drive with the mind set of getting good fuel mileage.
Yep. If I drive hard and fast I get 38. If I drive slower and easy I get 42-45. It's a dif. I'm stage 2 deleted.

Nickjmiller

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
The only sensors needed are the egt sensor and the oxygen sensor in your downpipe. There's 2 more on your dpf, another temp sensor under your car, and your exhaust flap. I'll have to look at mine. I believe it was just the 2 underneath. I should pull them up to the engine bay, but they are just tucked up underneath. Make sure the ones by the turbo are tied back. One of mine melted to the turbo and caused random eronious codes and limp mode that took a bit to figure out.
Thank you! I appreciate you getting back to me. That makes a lot of sense! Should be getting the rest of it taken apart tomorrow and installing new parts Monday when they show up. Thanks again!

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I think what oilhammer is referring to is a racepipe that deletes the throttle valve as well. Which looking at the darkside kit, only removes the Hi-Side EGR pipe and keeps the throttle valve in place for easier shutdowns. I was looking at their EGR delete kit that comes with the piping and cooler delete. Waiting to see if anyone has tried it before buying and seeing how easy and durable the cooler delete part is. Sorry for thread revival lol.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
I think what oilhammer is referring to is a racepipe that deletes the throttle valve as well. Which looking at the darkside kit, only removes the Hi-Side EGR pipe and keeps the throttle valve in place for easier shutdowns. I was looking at their EGR delete kit that comes with the piping and cooler delete. Waiting to see if anyone has tried it before buying and seeing how easy and durable the cooler delete part is. Sorry for thread revival lol.
I have the kit that solely replaces the EGR valve/cooler and leaves the ASV. It can be a little bit of a pain to install... you're going to want to put a lot of towels underneath to catch the bolt or sockets you inevitably drop while you're trying to tighten down the rear bolt.

If you're referring to the EGR cooler at the rear of the motor, it's pretty straightforward once you have the downpipe/DPF off. The big thing is clamping the two coolant lines before removing them. I've used a 90* brass elbow the two times I've done it... and you may need to do some trimming of the hoses to make sure there's no kinks. It will make a lot more sense once you get underneath and look at it... I found that a lot of the pictures people posted did not do a good job of showing exactly what was going on (through no fault of their own, it's just one of those things you have to see in 3D).

I got the kit from Darkside Developments in the UK.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Awesome! My only concern was the coolant hoses for the EGR cooler. I heard some people just route them right into the cylinder head or something. I'm assuming when you just loop them with that bass fitting, the car will heat up quicker than normal. Is that true? Id assume so cause it doesnt have to pass through the EGR cooler.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome! My only concern was the coolant hoses for the EGR cooler. I heard some people just route them right into the cylinder head or something. I'm assuming when you just loop them with that bass fitting, the car will heat up quicker than normal. Is that true? Id assume so cause it doesnt have to pass through the EGR cooler.

here's some pictures from when I did it.

No hugely noticeable increase in warm-up time, but it doesn't hurt.