2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen

vev46

TDI
2014 TDI Sportwagen
Finally sold my 2002 TDI Jetta wagon, had 272Kmiles, (150K on replacement new engine due to shoddy timing belt service which ruined orig engine - I won lawsuit). Came across my 2014 6-sp manual, had 31K, like new, at great price, with lots more bells/whistles. It was certified updated by VW per EPA scandal with emissions warranty to 100K miles. (I've already had to have the DSP & EGR replaced for free). I suspect that the update caused the MPG to suffer. I was so used to a consistent 48-50 MPG with my '02 ALH, but I haven't come close with this one, averaging 40-43MPG. It is a heavier car with the larger TDI, but I wonder if there's anything I can do to up the MPG.
Thanks for any suggestions

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
The only thing I've heard can/does make a significant difference is undoing the fix with a tune which will also significantly increase the lifespan of the DPF, (maybe) turbo, etc. Problem is you take the very serious risk of not being able to then make use of the extended emissions/engine warranty.

I know if not for the warranty I would do a tune and will once the warranty is over if the car still seems to be a reliable/good car at that point.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
i have had warranty work done on my malone tuned JSW....after removing the tune, of course. no problems from VW. the tune will get you a little bump in economy, but not a ton. if you're already averaging 40+ mpgs then you must do a lot of highway driving downhill because 35-37mgp is a more realistic average for these cars post fix. rumor has it that "deleting" the car will significantly increase economy, but that's not for everyone.