2014 jetta dsg 33mpg

homermandy

TDI
2002 GLS 5spd TDI
Any ideas? That is highway about 80mpg. No babying with some hills. 1st trip with car. Has 36k miles on it. Ifbthis is the best I can expect I am definitely getting the buyback.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
seems way low...is that hand calc'd? I'm probably averaging 38 with 85%hwy and 15% around town and I'm on 18" rims and a heavy foot.

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
Keep track of miles and fuel over several fill ups.
Don't go by 1 tankful.
You should be up in the 38's range or so. At least thats what I get without babying the car

homermandy

TDI
2002 GLS 5spd TDI
Yes 2/tanks hand calculated. Ohio to south Carolina....actually 3 tanks...

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
seems rather low especially since it's summer with warmer temps

ddixonpd

TDI
2013 jetta
I did the same trip about a year ago and noticed the same. Found out its the fuel out of the Ohio pump um when i was on the turn pike the only station was sunco and it suck monkey ball on my mileage. I had to put in diesel kleen once i got back to maryland to flush out whatever fuel was in the tank

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
In a DSG, you'll never match what a manual gets. I get 45mpg at my absolute worst tank. Best so far has been 52. A DSG will be hard pressed to hit 40mpg. But 33 is still way too low. Maybe it's poor fuel? How is the air filter? Fuel filter? Any roof rack? Other weight in the car?

JimGarb

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav
My '14 TDI w/ DSG averages 36MPG. That's overall calculation. I don't baby my car at all, I've always thought it was kinda low.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I have a 6mt, I see 40s all day, even as high as low to mid 50s on several occasions. The dsg won't match it but u should at least be getting close to 40, if not mid 40s. I've read posts from others with the dsg hitting those figures.

Dumb question, but have you checked tire pressure too?

Would be worth checking for a sticking brake caliper.

Also, how many miles does the car have? I noticed my best tanks after I hit the 30k mark.

Lastly, any cel? Have you done a scan with vcds?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
80MPH is not going to be good for MPG. I dont remember the exact MPH, but in my DSG car mid to upper 70MPH the motor will start to cruse under boost. I used to use the Torque app all the time driving around, and I would notice a huge drop off in MPG at speeds where the engine would start to stay under constant boost. If I slowed down just a touch, the MPG would go up quite a bit.

Last edited:

TJGarvin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG Comfortline
A DSG can come close to the MT if it's driven right. I average 45 mpg with my 13 comfortline. My best was 50 mpg. But then, I don't do 80 mph as my cruise speed either. ��